Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Tony Bloom our manager?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Somebody fetch a tin-foil hat; we've got ourselves a lunatic.
Easy to mock, but harder to answer this point!! Would Bloom sack Paul Barber and bring in a CEO straight from college, of course he wouldn't, so why has he done exactly this with the playing side of the club? Or maybe you think Sami is the experienced manager to lead us to the premiership? Hope he is, but he isn't doing a very job of it at the moment is he! Or maybe you think being 5th bottom, and seeing the crowds leaving in their thousands is acceptable?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Despite the scorn that your OP has generated, I think you have a point with this observation.

Of course TB wouldn't recruit an inexperienced CEO, yet with Gus, Oscar & now Sami, he has done just that with the manager/Head Coach job. I don't know why - your suggested motive could be right. Equally, it could be that TB wants a manager that wants to play in a "Brighton style", though Sami's early dalliance with advanced full backs was a departure from the previous two seasons. Alternatively, it could be that TB doesn't want a manager with a "bad" attitude or baggage, so that the club isn't mired in off-the-field controversy - that worked out well with Gus, didn't it?!
I completely agree about Gus and not wanting another manager with baggage and attitude. But we all blame Gus (including myself) but do we know what really went on? Were Gus' ceiling comments aimed squarely at Bloom? Was the resulting farce of suspending him and firing him all to do with keeping it all in house and secret? WHy did Oscar leave and then show up at Watford? Are Watford a much bigger pull than us? Something most be wrong for him to walk out of a 2 year contract and then return in the Championship a few months later. As I say, the Brighton job you would think would be one of the biggest pulls outside the premiership, yet we can only fill it with unknowns in managerial terms, and I am just puzzled as to why that is, when you have a chairman who has assembled one of the best business teams in football, yet on the playing side, will only employ managers with no experience of the division we play in? Does what make any sense to anyone?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Easy to mock, but harder to answer this point!! Would Bloom sack Paul Barber and bring in a CEO straight from college, of course he wouldn't, so why has he done exactly this with the playing side of the club? Or maybe you think Sami is the experienced manager to lead us to the premiership? Hope he is, but he isn't doing a very job of it at the moment is he! Or maybe you think being 5th bottom, and seeing the crowds leaving in their thousands is acceptable?

Your comparison doesn't work as Sami has had at least 20 years experience on the shop floor.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Blimey Edna you did well getting that far.

For me the argument was rendered null & void at this point:-

Is Tony Bloom our manager?
Think about it.

I did, he's not.

Blimey Stat Brother, you did well getting that far.

"northstandchat.com"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But we all blame Gus

No we don't. Only those determined to take the club's side on things no matter what do. I've heard very interesting things about what happened around then - including that the "gross misconduct" charge was an utter farce.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your comparison doesn't work as Sami has had at least 20 years experience on the shop floor.

As had Gus, Oscar & Nathan. Gus had two stints as an assistant manager, Oscar as a successful manager and coach, with Nathan also a successful U21s manager winning a league, besides a few years as an assistant.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Really. Sami's got at least 20 years experience as a football manager?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I completely agree about Gus and not wanting another manager with baggage and attitude. But we all blame Gus (including myself) but do we know what really went on? Were Gus' ceiling comments aimed squarely at Bloom? Was the resulting farce of suspending him and firing him all to do with keeping it all in house and secret? WHy did Oscar leave and then show up at Watford? Are Watford a much bigger pull than us? Something most be wrong for him to walk out of a 2 year contract and then return in the Championship a few months later. As I say, the Brighton job you would think would be one of the biggest pulls outside the premiership, yet we can only fill it with unknowns in managerial terms, and I am just puzzled as to why that is, when you have a chairman who has assembled one of the best business teams in football, yet on the playing side, will only employ managers with no experience of the division we play in? Does what make any sense to anyone?

I think this is all very logical and are questions that aren't being asked nearly enough. As you say, it's not a doom and gloom moan, TB seems to be doing things the right way in other areas of the club but our treatment of managers/the manager role ever since we got to the Amex seems bizarre.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
As had Gus, Oscar & Nathan. Gus had two stints as an assistant manager, Oscar as a successful manager and coach, with Nathan also a successful U21s manager winning a league, besides a few years as an assistant.
So then has every 38 year old plus footballer. None had experience managing in the championship. The off field team are vastly experienced in their respective roles, the on field are not. There where plenty of experience candidates to pick from. We choose someone who I think we choose as he is a puppet on a string. Bloom will never sack Sami, and if Sami walks, Blooms going to find himself with a bit of explaining to do, as to why inexperienced managers keep walking away,

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Is Bayer Leverkusen, a Champions League top 6 Bundesliga side the equivalent of college then in your quaint little metaphor? ???
What the job he was clearly out of his depth at and got sacked from for not winning for 12 games. THat one?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I like the football that we play with Tony Bloom as manager. And as he's been manager a few years now we have consistency.

Who's that tall blonde chap who sometimes stands on the sideline with a permanently troubled look on his face ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So then has every 38 year old plus footballer. None had experience managing in the championship. The off field team are vastly experienced in their respective roles, the on field are not. There where plenty of experience candidates to pick from. We choose someone who I think we choose as he is a puppet on a string. Bloom will never sack Sami, and if Sami walks, Blooms going to find himself with a bit of explaining to do, as to why inexperienced managers keep walking away,

If you're going to narrow it down to managers who have managed in the Championship, then you're very limited. Slade got the sack because we didn't do well in League 1, but had a good season following three poor seasons with Orient, but is now doing well with Cardiff.
Sometimes it needs to be the right fit.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Would Bloom sack Paul Barber and bring in a CEO straight from college, of course he wouldn't, so why has he done exactly this with the playing side of the club?

No, he probably wouldn't, but the two roles are entirely different. Barber was hired for a specific purpose and experience was deemed a requirement of the role, something someone from college clearly wouldn't have.

Football management is a very different kettle of fish... Managers get jobs all the time without direct coaching experience, as do managers with no playing experience, but Bloom has a very clear managerial type: young, ambitious and hungry with a high calibre, recent playing career. I don't see anything wrong with that strategy as it's worked well up until now. The Hyypia expreiment is still ongoing, but I don't forsee Bloom replacing him with an experienced "old hand".

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I think this is all very logical and are questions that aren't being asked nearly enough. As you say, it's not a doom and gloom moan, TB seems to be doing things the right way in other areas of the club but our treatment of managers/the manager role ever since we got to the Amex seems bizarre.
Problem is though, Tony Bloom to many is untouchable.

Sure, he is a legend for what has done, and will continue to do for the club, but I don't think that should mean he is above criticism if its deserved.

Obviously there are those on here who would not have a word said against the club if we where bottom of division 2, and dare question Bloom well, people will not even entertain that, but I think anyone who thinks about it without their blue and white specs on would agree with you, that the managerial situation is a bit bizarre.

So what is the reason he builds the rest of the club up with proven business people and makes it far stronger than anyone could ever have dreamed off, yet where it really matters on the pitch, he puts all his faith in untested, unproven, managers, when there are plenty of proven, tested managers looking for work?

He states we have a play off squad.

Yet the team continues to struggle at the wrong end of the table, the crowds are disappearing in their thousands and thousands, yet logic would say things need to change, yet we continue with inexperienced managers in charge of the team. Begs the quesion, why? Does Sami have complete control over the tactics, formations, and starting 11? At least one of those, maybe two, I would strongly doubt.

If Sami does have complete control of tactics and formation, then why hire him in the first place, why not go and hire someone proven at getting out of this division. Its a huge gamble for a businessman who takes calculated risks.

As I have said in other threads, if this continues and the crowds continue to disappear, next season we will not be generating enough case to have a play off capable squad, we will only be able to afford a lower mid table squad, if that, and with an inexperienced manager, I think we will all need to lower our expectation and accept we will be a yo-yo club between the Championship and league one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Problem is though, Tony Bloom to many is untouchable.

The thing I find hilarious is watching people call Barber and Burke every single name under the sun, yet will refuse to accept anything other than glowing praise of TB.

Who do they think installed Barber and Burke, got them to do the jobs they are doing, and has often stated how "delighted" he is with their work?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Yes, still doesn't fit with your attempt at an analogy though...
I think it does. How does a couple of season in the German league, set him up for the Championship, and how does that compare to the experience Paul Barber has in running football clubs?

Two years that ended in failure compared to 10 years of experience as a board member of football clubs.

Like I said, off the field Brilliant, on it, inexperience and its showing. If Sami was so good in Germany, then why are we 5th bottom now? Don't forget the chairman thinks we have a play off quality squad.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is Bayer Leverkusen, a Champions League top 6 Bundesliga side the equivalent of college then in your quaint little metaphor? ???

He was a complete failure there. All his Leverkusen experience taught us is that he is nowhere near a top manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here