Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia Out or In

Hyypia Out or In

• Total voters

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The 'Sami would be fine if we had good players' argument fails on two grounds.1 We do have good players - OK not Ulloa standard, but players good enough for mid table mediocrity at worst 2 He had quality at Bayer Leverkusen and was bad there. Today's tactical display was an insult.

Whilst I can agree he didn't set the world on fire at Leverkusen, and that tactically he doesn't appear to be all that astute - I can't agree that "we do have good players".

Just look at the players that we've sold/moved on and where they're currently playing and compare them to the players we've brought in. Seems quite clear to me that we have a much weaker squad than we've had in recent seasons. More worryingly, we have a League One strike force (yes, it's become a tired phrase but I believe it's true) and no obvious leaders on the pitch. Any manager would find that situation tricky to work with for starters.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Malky is rumoured to be the next manager.[/QUOTE

Was told he was at the game Tuesday and Hughton was there today so who knows I was a firm believer for In until another abysmal performance to day so now moved to the fence. Not sure what the answer is after having sold quality players and signed inferior rubbish to replace them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One or two interesting developments this weekend. Andy Naylor has it from an "impeccable" source that today's result is immaterial to his future which is secure. Wonder if this is the same source that confirmed the Ward and Clayton signings to him? Another friend (who I trust) has heard from an ex-pro that he may be on his way out. Bozza has done the old RT/FAV in or out poll on Twitter which, ostensibly, is a cheeky way of getting stats / followers but the timing is interesting, especially given Sami's comments that it was not up to him if a new striker comes in.

Me? I was out from early on. However, today I think he picked the right side, used the correct tactics and the right change up (JFCs head dropped when he tackled himself, McCourt is the only player who could have changed it though he was woeful. Ince had to come in and stay on to toughen the midfield up). Elliot Bennett was used as he should be and Lua Lua was wider. We competed against a very physical team and conceded a very unlucky goal.

All of that said though I am still on the "out" side. We are no longer playing how he wants to play which is going to frustrate him and he looks like a dead man walking. A new man wouldn't be able to do much with these players other than get a "bounce" and hopefully dictate to David Burke what was needed in January. That on its own might keep us up.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The change of system was a nice, but necessary change (think Jones may have a big say in that though). However, it was still poor.
His job as manager is to get the best out of what he has, can he say that he is doing that. I would hazard a very strong guess (can't prove it obviously) that given the same players Oscar would be doing a hell of a lot better than Hyypia.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
However, today I think he picked the right side, used the correct tactics and the right change up (JFCs head dropped when he tackled himself, McCourt is the only player who could have changed it though he was woeful. Ince had to come in and stay on to toughen the midfield up). Elliot Bennett was used as he should be and Lua Lua was wider. We competed against a very physical team and conceded a very unlucky goal.

Pretty much agree with this. I'm just on the in side now he's dropped the attacking fullbacks tactic. He's showing some flexibility, and like you said, spotting obvious things like Ince coming in to add some muscle. I don't know, but look at someone like Sean Dyche, sacked at Watford then achieves promotion with Burnley. Think we have to give Sami until mid December at least.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm still in for now. Tactics have been changed a bit and we still don't lose very often; as long as we turn a few if these draws into wins, we'll be fine. I do think that we'll see some comings and goings of players in January though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I was an out but now I'm an out out

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
The whole setup is shite, we wont attract a decent manager all the time they have very little say about transfers when Muppet Burke is signing the like of Baldrick, Colunga, COG etc, is Hughton any good!!@@ - no thanks

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Two very good posts on this page -- with different viewpoints -- from Guinness Boy and Bold Seagull. I remain of the view that there are too many managerial changes these days, so will vote in. I'm starting to have reservations, but my key point all along is about the strikers. Baldock has qualities: his movement is good, and he shoots early, but his goalscoring is off the back of playing two up-front alongside a big man. We're never going to do that, as much as many on here want it.
Colunga I like, but he's just too small and weak to play at the apex of a trident; we could say the same for Baldock.
O'Grady won't get us near the play-off positions.
Alan Wares on the Albion Roar said today that CMS' second touch is usually a tackle, and that just about sums him up. His contract is up in the summer, and he's just not worth a renewal, which is a shame because he tries his heart out, and is a good guy.
I hope Burke is scouring Europe for a January signing a la Ulloa.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
The problem for those feeling smug about Sami going, is that we will be paying his wages for the next couple of years whatever.

But... the problem for everyone is that we're heading for League One and an empty stadium like this...

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
In until at least Christmas. These are not his signings and judging by what he said on SCR about it now being down to him, i am not sure who we bring in will be either.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I was quite firmly out after Rotherham, but am now back on the fence. Since Hyypia realised that the wing back system was taking us straight to relegation, we don't seem quite as easy to cut open. However, today showed to me that the main problem is the board or recruitment team's complete failure to find a proper replacement for Ulloa (FFP, yes I know, same old, same old, but sometimes you just have to pay the going rate). A 5'7" striker playing up on his own clearly isn't the answer. At least we didn't just sit back and invite them on to us as we apparently did against Wigan (I wasn't there), but when we did come forward, there was no-one in the box, or if there was it was Baldock drifting out wide each time, meaning his two markers had nothing to do. Hyypia's tactics still aren't right, but I don't think he can take the blame alone.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
We need Dale Stephens in place of Gardner and maybe even Kemy instead of JFC. I don't think JFC has played too badly mind you, but our midfield just isn't right at the moment. And why does Baldock keep drifting so far wide? Get in there, son!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
You've just done it again. I quote: "The angry pitch fork wielding mob of Sami haters" - no, they're just people who disagree with you. They're not thick by definition for disagreeing with you, they (we) are not a mob, and don't carry pitch forks (real or metaphorical). You are entitled to disagree with them, but only as much as they are entitled to disagree with you. Derogatory stereotyping is not rational argument.

It must be wonderful to wander around your world in the certainty that everybody who doesn't agree with you is a fool. Reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes a bit..................

I was referring the individual poster when using the word 'thick.' Certainly a proportion of people on both sides of the argument will doubtless be thick. In terms of my opinion re the matter of our manager; well as I said it's purely a representation of my feelings. It would appear it's acceptable for you to hold a derogatory opinion of me, yet it's unfair of me to argue the counter, whilst calling those who I consider short sighted in the extreme utter fools. The majority of whom are probably, like you, very intelligent persons yet on this point totally and utterly wrong - In my opinion.

I'm sick of reading massively unfair, insulting and downright pathetic nonsense from certain members of the 'out' brigade... so now the time has come to send it back to them...

Kosh

Last edited:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
No point in changing the manager if the squad cannot be improved,what decent manager would want to take over in our position with little chance of bringing in better players?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It's all down to opinions which are like noses, we've all got them it's just some people's are bigger than other's.

Indeed. More so it's about extremes. I accept your point, alas I can't except the culture of modern football as it's clearly not working, indeed to me it represents something of a fools paradise hence my 'disagreement' with the entirety of the out mob.

Kosh

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
As others have suggested, you are acting all high an mighty on something that is just an opinion. By the way, we don't change managers all the time. We have only sacked two managers in the last 5 years. Not many clubs have a record like that!

Where do I mention sacking!?! besides which it was more of a comment re the current footballing climate. As for high and mighty; I struggle to comprehend why people get so upset re my posts?!? Accepted I'm jaunty, haughty and an acquired taste, hell I use olde parlance, big words etc. and so on. Yet I'm merely expressing myself, I apologise for my 'tone', but I guess I'm just happy in myself. Again I apologise for this. I won't apologise for thinking those in favour of sacking Sami fools one and all. Opinions are like onions, layered and sometimes bring you to tears. Sorry.

Kosh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here