Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Salmond Effigy To Be Burnt Tonight At Lewes....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why, in the 21st century, people need to be part of a society 'commemorating' incidents of religious and political division from half a millenia ago.

Or it could just be a chance for people to let their hair down and do something different. A bit like Christmas. If you're religious then celebrate the birth of Christ but if you're not then, like most, just use it as an excuse to have a good time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sussex police have pulled the plug

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm hardly surprised they are offended. Yes Lewis would do David Cameron, but do you think Edinburgh or Glasgow would?

I understand that it's all kind of fair game for the Lewis Bonfire, but the fact that he has been considered worthy, for what he has tried to do, I think it reflects badly on those who would chose him. But that's just my opinion.

Do you REALLY not know how to spell Lewes? Or are there similar shenanigans that take place in the Outer Hebrides, and we are all talking at cross-purposes?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Jeeessss - some people need to stop finding offense in everything. When I was a kid we burnt a guy - does that mean everyone called Guy should be offended ?

I'm pretty sure there were some celebrations in Scotland when Thatcher died - I'd suggest cheering someone's death is slightly more offensive than burning an effigy.

Agreed. However as you know so on NSC are employed in the Claims direct/Health & Safety/Race Relations industry,nothing will change.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So because the Scottish started moaning about something hundreds of miles away which wouldnt have actually hurt anyone (or wouldnt have actually properly offended anyone) - they havent been allowed to do it by the Police.

Pathetic.

Lots of people moaning about the whole anti-catholic thing too. People need to lighten up - they arent killing anybody.

Edit - Sussex Police have received complaints and will be investigating - jesus christ..... http://www.sussex.police.uk/whats-h...int?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What about the Prophet Mohammed next year? What could possibly go wrong?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Edit - Sussex Police have received complaints and will be investigating - jesus christ.....

I'm pretty sure he's not guilty.

Although with the martyring of both Protestants and Catholics and the commemoration centuries later, one could say that religion still appears to be somewhat in the dock here.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Not being burned now - Police stepped in after 'Complaints'.
Sussex Police should be ashamed of themselves. They will no doubt claim that 'they had to act after receiving a complaint', utter boxxocks in reality as we all know of complainants that are dissuaded of continuing, and of laws that are not implemented.

Waterloo Bonfire Society should have fought this tooth and nail as the whole existence of a Sussex ritual steeped in hundreds of years of history and tradition is under threat. Next year someone may complain of being offended by the noise!

Shame on all those involved in this cowardly climb down.

Freedom of speech is beginning to be suffocated by the mealy mouthed of the modern world, R.I.P.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've never been to Lewes for the parade, but it does seem to thrive on aggression and discord. I know the area has a dark history, but in some ways that's why I find it quite fascinating. I suspect Alex Salmond isn't that bothered really.

The council is Tory and Lib Dem in equal measure.

East Sussex County Council, which controls most things that happen in Lewes, is largely Tory.
None of which is relevant to the thought processes that have gone into the decision of the Waterloo Bonfire Society to create a tableau on the theme of the Scottish independence referendum.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Do you REALLY not know how to spell Lewes? Or are there similar shenanigans that take place in the Outer Hebrides, and we are all talking at cross-purposes?

Lewis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here