Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations to Paul Barber.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I'm a good mate of Dick Knight. We used to go regularly to the Albion. He often pestered me to go to the games at Gillingham and then the Withdean. I'd lost interest in the football but I was always made to feel welcome. Since we moved to the Amex things have not been the same. Frequently I have been cast away for not looking the part. It came to a head today when some security staff started shouting at me in a satirical and sarcastic way. I felt intimidated and fled in fear of my life. Apparently this has happened to many others . I've heard that the club are deliberately trying to get rid of ALL the fans by treating them this way and banning the team from scoring! FACT

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
oh dear....is this a private security firm....?? i must admit that on my extremely limited times at the ground i have found the staff relatively useless and almost openly hostile.... isn't there a policy of employing Albion fans for these positions..? surely that would make it easier for them to be civil to the punters....it's a massive shame when long term fans are treated like this by jobsworths who are unable to adapt to a certain set of circumstances.....it is plainly obvious that such dress regs are meant to keep the riff-raff out.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I hope Mr Barber reads this, but I will be e-mailing him anyway.

The behaviour of the door staff in the West Reception/1901 Harry Bloom was a DISGRACE today. I have been a fan since 1984, but today was embarrassing and my worst experience of treatment by club staff.

As soon as I walked in the main entrance, I was given a filthy look at by one of the security staff, no idea why. Then I was BOOMED at by an over officious female steward as soon as I approached the entrance to the lounge without any sort of greeting. "You can't come in here without a collar" she shouted, despite the fact i was smartly dressed with a smart plain jumper and shoes and smart collared coat. A second female steward then patronisingly thrust a leaflet in my hand and said "we are enforcing it this season". Enforcing what? The leaflet didn't even mention jumpers not being acceptable.

I am not a Harry Bloom 1901 regular as i have a season ticket in the East stand, but sometimes get tickets. I have never ever been treated with this level of contempt by anyone, yet alone my own football club. It's not as if i am some corporate numpty, i was a Goldstone and Withdean regular and went on all the marches for the stadium, I am a long standing supporter through thick and thin. I had to buy a £25 polo shirt to gain admission from the shop (fine because it had a collar) and queue for half an hour to get it. There was no way i was missing the match.

When i finally got in to the lounge, there were lots of scruffy people in there, some wearing hoodies and ripped jeans with a scruffy collared polo shirt underneath. Two even had trainers. I would say i was in the 20% of the smartest people in that lounge but the collar jobsworths were having none of it. I saw a number of other fans suffer the same fate. As one guy said, they will regret it when they get 10,000 fans next season and none of these fair weather supporters want to know.

Sterile, plastic, over officious and downright RUDE. I never thought i would pine for the days of Withdean and Dick Knight. The stadium might be the best in the division and god knows we fought for it, but treating the fans with this level of disrespect and indeed contempt ruins the whole experience. I will not be spending a single penny at the stadium again as a personal protest unless i receive an apology.

I have defended the club until now on things like pricing and treatment of fans as things do have to change and evolve. However, my day was summed up for me just as i was leaving. The train announcement said "we would like to remind all CUSTOMERS the last train leaves in 10 minutes.....". No further comment necessary.

At least they got you to cough up for a club polo! One ambition matey.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Club staff unnecessarily efficoius, rude and unapproachable. Much like their glorious leader.
Been saying for ages that this is the way it would end up. Sad times.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Club staff unnecessarily efficoius, rude and unapproachable. Much like their glorious leader.
Been saying for ages that this is the way it would end up. Sad times.

Their leader is anything but unapproachable, it's his way of trying to garner support, "Mr Nice Guy"

It's just that his responses to everything I have seen are patronising and either don't deal with the issue or simply tell us what we already know

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

The behaviour of the door staff in the West Reception/1901 Harry Bloom was a DISGRACE today. I have been a fan since 1984, but today was embarrassing and my worst experience of treatment by club staff.

As soon as I walked in the main entrance, I was given a filthy look at by one of the security staff, no idea why. Then I was BOOMED at by an over officious female steward as soon as I approached the entrance to the lounge without any sort of greeting. "You can't come in here without a collar" she shouted, despite the fact i was smartly dressed with a smart plain jumper and shoes and smart collared coat. A second female steward then patronisingly thrust a leaflet in my hand and said "we are enforcing it this season". Enforcing what? The leaflet didn't even mention jumpers not being acceptable.

I am not a Harry Bloom 1901 regular as i have a season ticket in the East stand, but sometimes get tickets. I have never ever been treated with this level of contempt by anyone, yet alone my own football club. It's not as if i am some corporate numpty, i was a Goldstone and Withdean regular and went on all the marches for the stadium, I am a long standing supporter through thick and thin. I had to buy a £25 polo shirt to gain admission from the shop (fine because it had a collar) and queue for half an hour to get it. There was no way i was missing the match.

When i finally got in to the lounge, there were lots of scruffy people in there, some wearing hoodies and ripped jeans with a scruffy collared polo shirt underneath. Two even had trainers. I would say i was in the 20% of the smartest people in that lounge but the collar jobsworths were having none of it. I saw a number of other fans suffer the same fate. As one guy said, they will regret it when they get 10,000 fans next season and none of these fair weather supporters want to know.

Sterile, plastic, over officious and downright RUDE. I never thought i would pine for the days of Withdean and Dick Knight. The stadium might be the best in the division and god knows we fought for it, but treating the fans with this level of disrespect and indeed contempt ruins the whole experience. I will not be spending a single penny at the stadium again as a personal protest unless i receive an apology.

I have defended the club until now on things like pricing and treatment of fans as things do have to change and evolve. However, my day was summed up for me just as i was leaving. The train announcement said "we would like to remind all CUSTOMERS the last train leaves in 10 minutes.....". No further comment necessary.

No further comment & then you edit...
Corporate hospitality is like a job interview, you need standards & the fact that you think it's ok to turn up wearing just a jumper shows your lack of respect for the Club & others around you.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
No further comment & then you edit...
Corporate hospitality is like a job interview, you need standards & the fact that you think it's ok to turn up wearing just a jumper shows your lack of respect for the Club & others around you.
l

Perhaps a bit extreme but you have a point. However there is inconsistency in how the rules are applied that I can see as being annoying. Personally, I know the rules and keep just the right side of them. I also suspect if you polled members of the 1901 on the rule they wouldn't give a damn so I do think they're a bit pointless. Never been treated with anything but politeness by the staff.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This sounds like a BBC 5Live 606 rant, I'd date that at a late David Mellor or a mid term Richard Littlejohn.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We were searched on the way into to WSL by the stewards along with a number of other ‘customers’

I was 'searched' too. WTF are they thinking at the club these days?

Barber has managed to totally destroy the matchday experience that Martin Perry was so proud of. WSL Concourse, central kiosk was closed 20 minutes or so after the final whistle which didn't really matter too much because there was hardly anybody left. In previous seasons ALL concourses would have been heaving with people buying beer and food and shutters didn't start coming down for at least an hour after the final whistle.

Combine rip off prices with shit performances by the team and all of the hard work done 3 years ago to create a great day at The Albion has been undone.

If this keeps up there will be thousands not renewing season tickets.

Major repair work needed Mr Bloom.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

Very disturbing and im not really surprised to be honest...All this corperate shite is getting out of hand at the club.The club need to start thinking of the fans now and not fleecing them like there's no tomorrow.

Plenty of clubs where fans are important to the club in this division...sadly we must be the worst treated and fleeced in the league.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have little sympathy for the 1901 person, if you really feel you have to go and watch a football match in an area where there is a dress code then if you cannot conform to it you got what you deserved.

As to why anyone would ever want to watch a football match in an area where there is a dress code is completely beyond me.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I'm a good mate of Dick Knight. We used to go regularly to the Albion. He often pestered me to go to the games at Gillingham and then the Withdean. I'd lost interest in the football but I was always made to feel welcome. Since we moved to the Amex things have not been the same. Frequently I have been cast away for not looking the part. It came to a head today when some security staff started shouting at me in a satirical and sarcastic way. I felt intimidated and fled in fear of my life. Apparently this has happened to many others . I've heard that the club are deliberately trying to get rid of ALL the fans by treating them this way and banning the team from scoring! FACT

How do you shout at someone in a satirical way?

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I have little sympathy for the 1901 person, if you really feel you have to go and watch a football match in an area where there is a dress code then if you cannot conform to it you got what you deserved.

As to why anyone would ever want to watch a football match in an area where there is a dress code is completely beyond me.

100% correct Beach Hut and although a necessary evil of modern football, one I hate and detest at The Albion, you'd never get me in the 1901 in a million years but if people do at least don't dress like the rest of us "football supporters", god forbid....

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here