Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale,,,,,,

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
What is PiG doing these days? Sadly Stockdale has been a disaster (almost one a game on average and they have coatis points). Can't see how we can stick with him and stay up.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Absolutely - Greer slipped, recovered but had his shirt pulled - definite foul. From there they looked likely to score, but WTF was Stockdale doing. He needed either to come out or stay out - instead he went half-way & left Tomlin with an open goal.

The second goal sums up everything Fulham fans said about him - great reflexes, but just pushed the ball back out to the attacker. Basic keeping

Speaking as a keeper I actually disagree on both points.

First goal he has been exposed and left one on one with the attacker, go too quickly and the attacker will just curl it around you. What he did was wait for the attacker to move the ball forward before rushing out, when he wasn't poised to shoot, and thus make him play it across the goal where you hope the defenders will deal with it. This is all immaterial because in this situation all the cards are with the attacker, the goalkeeper is at a disadvantage. If anything Tomlin needed to be closed down as soon as he got the ball, but he had all the time in the world to place it beyond the defender on the line.

Second goal he has made a good reaction save where he has dived slightly behind to his left and pushed the ball out from a position next to the post, he really cannot put it anywhere else, in fact to me he has tried to cushion so it doesn't fly out and land at the feet of one of their players. Again you need to question the defenders reactions because the guy who scored is the same one who made the original shot.

He made an utter piss-poor error against Cardiff but is not to blame for either of the goals today in my view.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
What is PiG doing these days? Sadly Stockdale has been a disaster (almost one a game on average and they have coatis points). Can't see how we can stick with him and stay up.

Waiting for someone to offer him 30 grand a week.
Long wait boy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My concern about the first goal was that although he had no cover Stickdale dived to the ground but made no attempt to get the ball or stop it. The 2nd looked very easy to hold to his chest.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We have gone from one of the best keepers in the championship to one of the worst. Looks slow to come out, kicking poor, hardly seems to make a save of worth.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Speaking as a keeper I actually disagree on both points.

First goal he has been exposed and left one on one with the attacker, go too quickly and the attacker will just curl it around you. What he did was wait for the attacker to move the ball forward before rushing out, when he wasn't poised to shoot, and thus make him play it across the goal where you hope the defenders will deal with it. This is all immaterial because in this situation all the cards are with the attacker, the goalkeeper is at a disadvantage. If anything Tomlin needed to be closed down as soon as he got the ball, but he had all the time in the world to place it beyond the defender on the line.

Second goal he has made a good reaction save where he has dived slightly behind to his left and pushed the ball out from a position next to the post, he really cannot put it anywhere else, in fact to me he has tried to cushion so it doesn't fly out and land at the feet of one of their players. Again you need to question the defenders reactions because the guy who scored is the same one who made the original shot.

He made an utter piss-poor error against Cardiff but is not to blame for either of the goals today in my view.

Finally, someone on here that speaks goalkeeper.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure I'd actually blame Stockdale for either of the goals but he seems to be a keeper who doesn't really do MOM performances or strings of great saves without a cock up thrown in along the way. An average keeper on what I have seen so far and an expensive one at that.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My concern about the first goal was that although he had no cover Stickdale dived to the ground but made no attempt to get the ball or stop it. The 2nd looked very easy to hold

For the first he is at a disadvantage, in a one on one as a keeper you need to wait to see what the striker is going to do you don't go rushing out make the decision easy for the attacker. The attacker has a choice either to go for goal or to pass it which means you as a keeper have to wait until the final moment to either cut down the angle or wait for the attacker to slightly overrun the ball and thus is not in a position to shoot, then you rush out. He did what all keepers to is spread himself on the floor to cut out both options.

For the second he had to twist behind him with the ball virtually on the line, they can be difficult to hold as sometimes the momentum of your dive may carry you over the line.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
We have gone from one of the best keepers in the championship to one of the worst. Looks slow to come out, kicking poor, hardly seems to make a save of worth.

Take the bag off your head please.

Slow to come out, and poor kicking?.........

Probably the fastest keeper off his line anywhere on the planet (he spends more time on the edge of his box than any keeper I have ever seen).
His distribution is world class.
I suppose we could get PIG back to repeatedly kick it into touch if you like.

Hardly seems to make a save because we have dominated almost every game this season, the opposition don't often get to shoot.

This "great Boro" side today managed only 1 shot in the first half.

Can't save what isn't there!!

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
The deal that brought in Stockdale strikes me as being like the ones where you sell something slightly dodgy which looks ok on the face of it. You collect the cheque from the buyer and rush off to bank it as quickly as possible. I reckon Fulham are still chuckling over the money they made on a very ordinary goalkeeper.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure I'd actually blame Stockdale for either of the goals but he seems to be a keeper who doesn't really do MOM performances or strings of great saves without a cock up thrown in along the way. An average keeper on what I have seen so far and an expensive one at that.
As we're not scoring, or even looking like scoring, any mis-step down t'other end will get magnified out of proportion.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The deal that brought in Stockdale strikes me as being like the ones where you sell something slightly dodgy which looks ok on the face of it. You collect the cheque from the buyer and rush off to bank it as quickly as possible. I reckon Fulham are still chuckling over the money they made on a very ordinary goalkeeper.

There are very few Fulham fans who ever thought Stockdale was ordinary. He was highly rated throuout his time there.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It still amazes me how many people on here know jack about goalkeeping.

DS is an excellent keeper.

I have kept goal for a few years and I can tell you I would have got to that ball for the first goal, it was pathetic. This isn't about a witch hunt blaming everything on him but at his moment he is making mistakes, that is undeniable. Hope he turns it around.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As we're not scoring, or even looking like scoring, any mis-step down t'other end will get magnified out of proportion.

I thought I was being quite laid back about the fact that he let in two of the four shots he had.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
I'm losing patience with Stockdale.
There's no excuse for his indecision & poor decision making. He has the perfect stage to impress with minimal pressure & a support willing him to succeed.

At the moment he looks like he'd rather be fishing than playing football, and I'd not be surprised if that were true.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Definitely at fault for the 2nd! Either catch it or get it to safety. This is the bloody Championship not Conference South - the 2nd was a basic tip round for a corner, in fact I'd have expected most keepers at this level to hold it.

Not sure about the first Greers initial first mistake, Dunks not sporting the danger 2nd mistake...I couldn't pin the mistakes on one person for the first.

**** me how shit were we today!!??

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Feel for him, being left exposed time and time again because the full backs don't defend (as Bennett said Hyypia's instructions). Confidence looks shot, which is saying something as he always seemed a really confident bloke.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought I was being quite laid back about the fact that he let in two of the four shots he had.
Just because you are, doesn't mean everybody else is!!

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
I'm losing patience with Stockdale.
There's no excuse for his indecision & poor decision making. He has the perfect stage to impress with minimal pressure & a support willing him to succeed.

At the moment he looks like he'd rather be fishing than playing football, and I'd not be surprised if that were true.

Nor me and besides getting £120k signing on fee and £7k a week for 3 years then he's probably thinking about retiring and sitting by the pond, lake with his feet up.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Confidence in your keeper sweeps into the rest of the side. If this is lacking then nervousness and a tendency to make rushed bad decisions amongst the outfield players (especially defenders) won't be far off. However I do have sympathy with keepers; their errors simply lead to goals against and are rarely forgotten. They basically cost points. With that said, he needs competition to keep him on his toes. His comments at the start of the season where he said "the club has paid a lot of money to bring me here so I want to pay them back with solid performances.." could well be interpreted that he's taking his place for granted as they wouldn't dare drop him having paid such a significant sum.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here