Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leonardo Ulloa was an £8 million bargain for Leicester, says Nigel Pearson...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There was supposed to be another £2M linked to PL survival and appearances but unless you were a fly on the wall during the negotiations its impossible to say when the appearance bonuses kick in. Palace thought they would be getting £5M in bonuses from Man United for Winifred but then actually ended up £4M in profit when they bought him back at a discount.

We've already done well out of appearance bonuses. If they go down but get promoted again we'll do well out of that too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't watch non Albion related football, has Ulloa actually been a bust?

The team are this seasons 'play well but lose' side.
7 goals isn't total failure.
He's scored some important goals.
Won them some points.

If it weren't for Tony/Paul's cracking deal, I could see either a promoted team or one of the customary bottom 6 coming in for him.

Sure not at £8m, but at a price many of us were originally expecting like 'only' £5m he could stay a Premier League soccerballist.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I suppose the only way to answer the question is to ask what is Ulloa's value now? Significantly more than £8m then yes, Leicester got a bargain. Same or less, then no they didn't.

After 7 goals in a season I wouldn't say you would get significantly more than £8m for Ulloa, so for me Leicester didn't get the bargain they claimed. No yet, anyway. For what it is worth, I'd value him at £5m if Leicester were to sell him in the summer.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I suppose the only way to answer the question is to ask what is Ulloa's value now? Significantly more than £8m then yes, Leicester got a bargain. Same or less, then no they didn't.

After 7 goals in a season I wouldn't say you would get significantly more than £8m for Ulloa, so for me Leicester didn't get the bargain they claimed. No yet, anyway. For what it is worth, I'd value him at £5m if Leicester were to sell him in the summer.

I would hope we would be looking to get him back if he was going for £5m, wages permitting. We are either serious about promotion or we're not.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
7 goals isn't actually a bad return considering he's not played 90 minutes that often and has had minimal service from their midfield.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
We held out and got what we could for him. Pity we couldn't have done the same for Bridcutt and Buckley. It isn't just the sale of Ulloa that has led to our current league position, more like an inability to replace several key players.

If Ulloa is worth 8-10 m, then it's no real surprise that we haven't been able to replace him. Any decent striker who can give you 10-15 goals a season is going to be worth at least halve that much again to the club selling, unless they have a guaranteed replacement in the wings.

Will Pearson still think he was a bargain when Leicester are relegated?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We held out and got what we could for him. Pity we couldn't have done the same for Bridcutt and Buckley. It isn't just the sale of Ulloa that has led to our current league position, more like an inability to replace several key players.

If Ulloa is worth 8-10 m, then it's no real surprise that we haven't been able to replace him. Any decent striker who can give you 10-15 goals a season is going to be worth at least halve that much again to the club selling, unless they have a guaranteed replacement in the wings.

8 million for a decent Championship striker is par for the course, when you look at Rhodes. We were lucky finding Leo in Spain for just €2 million.
Leicester won't sell him, but hope they do the same as QPR & get back up.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ok

We did hold out for both Bridcutt and Buckley - why do you think Bridcutt handed in a transfer request and then went on strike? And I think that £3m for a non-goal scoring DM, and over £2M for a sick-note - neither of whom had experience above division 2 - was actually a very good deal for us.

And I'm sure Pearson knows he's overspent on Ulloa but the fact that he hasn't been a starter for weeks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
8 million for a decent Championship striker is par for the course, when you look at Rhodes. We were lucky finding Leo in Spain for just €2 million.
Leicester won't sell him, but hope they do the same as QPR & get back up.
I don't understand why one of, if not the biggest, transfer by a Championship club would be seen as par for the course.
Especially one that could be construed as a flop considering they are still in the Championship.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't understand why one of, if not the biggest, transfer by a Championship club would be seen as par for the course.
Especially one that could be construed as a flop considering they are still in the Championship.

I don't think that there are many that would say it is. Leo, Rhodes and McCormack are exceptions, and most people would say that they have been overvalued by the buying club, particularly when compared to fees of £3-4m paid for Charlie Austin.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think that there are many that would say it is. Leo, Rhodes and McCormack are exceptions, and most people would say that they have been overvalued by the buying club, particularly when compared to fees of £3-4m paid for Charlie Austin.
Post #91 plus any chat around CMS' replacement would suggest otherwise.

Citing the Jordon Rhodes transfer crops up on NSC far too often.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Pearson is not playing the right football for Ulloa to be prolific. When you have a striker like him you need to be getting balls down the channels and into the box and they simply arn't doing that. He's playing quick football forward to the likes of Vardy and the new fella and most of the time Ulloa is still on the halfway line.

Pearson is literally out of his league in the prem.

SAC

May 21, 2014
£8 million was way too much but that is what you need to spend if you want a player and the selling club don't need to sell.

I valued him at £3 million at the time and would value him at between that and £5 million now. If he is on £40k a week (I have no idea how much he is on, or if there is an automatic wage reduction come relegation) then Leicester may need to sell him once relegation has been confirmed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here