Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

match of the day

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
The Premier League is the best league in the world, with the best players in the world. I like watching good football I dont care what league or country its in. If you like good football then why would you not liking watching MOTD?

Not liking the Prem because of the corporate bullsh!t doesn't make you more of a football fan then someone who watches Premier league football. I hate it when people say 'I dont like the Prem or any football that has major corporate backing blah blah blah' it really pisses me off, especially when they say it like its a badge of honour. Away from all the corporate mess, the football on the field in the Prem and Champions League etc is unbelievable at times.

All that being said I hate the punditry on MOTD, Lineker and the rest of them twats are awful. I record it and fast ward to the games and some of the analysis breakdowns.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The Premier League is the best league in the world, with the best players in the world. I like watching good football, I dont care what league or country its in. If you like good football then why would you not liking watching MOTD?

Not liking the Prem because of the corporate bullsh!t doesn't make you more of a football fan then someone who watches Premier league football. I hate it when people say 'I dont like the Prem or any football that has major corporate backing blah blah blah' it really pisses me off.

All that being said I hate the punditry on MOTD, Lineker and the rest of them twats are awful. I record it and fast ward to the games and some of the analysis breakdowns.

The premier league is not the best league in the world.

You are right that personal preference does not make one fan better than another. But why should everyone have to hold the same view as you?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Guys, you can list any league in the world with weaker teams.

I love The Championship dont get me wrong, it is the most competitive league in the world IMO, you can be competing at the top one season, and fighting at the bottom the next. And I go week in week out supporting us.

The Italian league is awful now. Spain, aside from last year its always between Barca and Real. Bundesliga is either between Bayern or Dortmund and people moan City, Arsenal, United, Chelsea and Liverpool are the only teams competing for the Prem! Not only that, the 'sh!t' teams like Hull, Stoke or any newly promoted team from The Championship can turn over United, City or Chelsea etc IMO the Prem has it all, excitement, unpredictability and ALOT of the best players in the world.

You look at the Champs League finals in the last 10 years theres been like what how many English clubs in the finals? 6, 7 or 8? With out Google I dont know, but I know its alot.

Yes I know the corporate sh!t does water down the Prem and Champs League, but on the pitch, theres always magic (excuse the corniness)

And before people mention the diving, divaness and bright coloured boots Prem footballers wear etc you get that sh!t in the lower leagues to haha

The corporate companies have taken over all of English football...... Looks at FL72 or whatever its called.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I rarely catch it these days. In all honesty, I prefer the FL Show (genuinely), simply because it's more about the football and less of a platform for the inane pundits.

MOTD has for many years been a sort of sofa-based 19th hole for the old golfing chums and Retired Liverpool XI. Shearer contributes nothing insightful whatsoever. Lineker, whilst nowhere near as wooden as he used to be, he still comes across as a little too desperate to recreate the Des Lynam style. Robbie Savage: urgh. Don't even get me started.

You have to wade through all their drivel in between virtually every game. I just can't be arsed. I'd honestly rather zip through thirty seconds of Steve Claridge starting three successive sentences with "Look..." followed by highlights of Morecambe v York than see fifteen different angles of Radamel Falcao's hair, or the billionth camera shot of Roman Abramovich's gormless face each time Chelsea score, and a couple of Asmir Begovic saves.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I still enjoy MOTD even if advancing age and alcohol consumption make it ever more difficult to stay awake all the way through.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Do you still bother watching or are you turned off by the prospect of Gary and co bigging up the Premiership
regards
DR

Its a really good question to be fair.

I think for us supporters of lower-league teams its almost "fashionable" to turn our backs on the glitz and the glam and the hype of the PL. But strip all that away, and at its essence, its STILL the game we love. That means it comes with spectacular goals, wonderful skills, pantomime villains, pathetic decisions, egos getting trodden on, blunders, hilarity, and stuff that makes you sit bolt upright and go "what the F...?"

So MOTD still draws me in. After a night stuffed with hours of inane SHITE like X-Factor or ice skating or dancing or hospitals or clips of people falling over, you finally arrive at Match of the Day. And its like a little oasis of GENUINE drama. And if we've won, I'll always stay up for the FLS afterwards, so its the perfect end to a Saturday IMO.

If Match of the Day wasn't there, you'd soon miss it. Go on, admit it. Christ, remember when ITV got their hands on it ?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I don't watch it but it's nice to know it's there. After the Albion the FL Show Championship highlights on iplayer is about it for me these days. I watch the odd big live game but it's like wallpaper in the background while I'm doing something else.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Don't bother watching it any more.

Just got really fed up with watching only 5 minutes of football but then had to put up with 15 minutes of inane punditry. They should change the name to The Gary and Alan Borefest.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
i watch it every week - but agree with some that it needs longer highlights and less punditry, Shearer actually really pisses me off, he thinks hes a tactical mastermind, but in managerial terms hes done **** all - all he actually knows it how to score goals (which he was bloody good at) but dont bluff your way through the rest (in a way that you think makes you out to be mourinho) please

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I watch the last 2-3 mins on fast forward because Sky insists on recording it while I have the FLS on series link.

Other than those few moments zipping past at speed I really have no contact with the sharp end of the pyramid of English football.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Watch it if I'm in, or sometimes watch the repeat on Sunday. I quite like the format myself, can't stand how the Football League Show is structured. Yes you get the goals, but you only get the goals. At least Match of the Day shows you the controversial bits of games. I understand that Sky's highlights are much better, but I don't have access to it.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Its a really good question to be fair.

I think for us supporters of lower-league teams its almost "fashionable" to turn our backs on the glitz and the glam and the hype of the PL. But strip all that away, and at its essence, its STILL the game we love. That means it comes with spectacular goals, wonderful skills, pantomime villains, pathetic decisions, egos getting trodden on, blunders, hilarity, and stuff that makes you sit bolt upright and go "what the F...?"

So MOTD still draws me in. After a night stuffed with hours of inane SHITE like X-Factor or ice skating or dancing or hospitals or clips of people falling over, you finally arrive at Match of the Day. And its like a little oasis of GENUINE drama. And if we've won, I'll always stay up for the FLS afterwards, so its the perfect end to a Saturday IMO.

If Match of the Day wasn't there, you'd soon miss it. Go on, admit it. Christ, remember when ITV got their hands on it ?

I try very hard not to!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here