Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The crowd this evening

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Are you not worried that we were losing money with 27,000 averages a short while ago?

Every club that goes into a new stadium sees a spike in interest at first and then every club (barring the very top clubs) then sees attendances dip down to a 'normal' level. I don't think it was ever sustainable in the Championship for us to keep those sort of audience sizes, many clubs traditionally a lot larger than our own are not getting those sorts of numbers through the gates so I don't think it's anything to particuarly panic over.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
There were less than 23k actually there for sure, but atmosphere and noise was much better

True, the atmosphere/noise was noticeably better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Probably more to do with the fact that there was at least one well-filled 8 carriage train (21:45) going straight into Brighton whereas first train for the poor devils on the opposite platform was advertised as a crummy 3 carriage job. The queues on the bridge looked horrendous. Eastbound fans might actually do better getting a Brighton-bound train then doubling back. No wonder people are staying away from midweek matches.

We weren't even allowed onto the bridge to queue for eastbound trains at 10.05, so caught the Brighton train waiting, got a bus from the station and back home by 10.45. It may well be an easier option for an evening game in the future.

It's not surprising though really, given that the match day experience has decreased in quality on all fronts and the price has increased. Yes, we are still fans and I would still turn up to watch us play in the county league. However, the club now treats us as 'customers' and that attitude with encapsulate a feeling of disgruntlement amongst a good proportion of fans and attendances will drop.

Every club that goes into a new stadium sees a spike in interest at first and then every club (barring the very top clubs) then sees attendances dip down to a 'normal' level. I don't think it was ever sustainable in the Championship for us to keep those sort of audience sizes, many clubs traditionally a lot larger than our own are not getting those sorts of numbers through the gates so I don't think it's anything to particuarly panic over.

The crowd size is irrelevant its the bottom line thats important:facepalm: We sold the goldstone due to a 5 million loss incurred over years but we have lost 30 million in three years with a huge income! Hear any bells or smell any coffee yet:moo:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The crowd size is irrelevant its the bottom line thats important:facepalm: We sold the goldstone due to a 5 million loss incurred over years but we have lost 30 million in three years with a huge income! Hear any bells or smell any coffee yet:moo:

...the entire economic infrastructure of the club was different back then? We'd just moved from a small stadium to a newer, larger one with more staff required to staff it...hence a larger loss :facepalm:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
It's not surprising though really, given that the match day experience has decreased in quality on all fronts and the price has increased. Yes, we are still fans and I would still turn up to watch us play in the county league. However, the club now treats us as 'customers' and that attitude with encapsulate a feeling of disgruntlement amongst a good proportion of fans and attendances will drop.

I wouldn't mind if that were true but they don't even do that.
Try telling that to the many fans who have paid and had their tickets blocked, who missed goals and in some cases games, with many having problems since the start of the season.
I speak from experience and sadly the poor guy in the ticket office who spent an uncomfortable time apologising to, me clearly blamed top management, stating they had not got their act together from as far back as April. Perhaps they should come down and face the fans when fans or should I say customers cards are blocked because of their negligence.

Good companies don't treat customers badly.

...the entire economic infrastructure of the club was different back then? We'd just moved from a small stadium to a newer, larger one with more staff required to staff it...hence a larger loss :facepalm:

No we moved so the community stadium could be used 7 days a week and the corporate facilities would produce income so the stadium would make us money unlike withers:facepalm::facepalm: What sort of business plan wants a higher turnover and bigger losses???

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Last night was a FANTASTIC game which I really enjoyed despite the frustration of us not getting a much-deserved win due to Marshall's heroics.

But, as someone who has to commute to London more often than not, I did find myself wondering if I will bother for run-of-the-mill midweek league fixtures in future. I left the house at 6:30 yesterday morning and got back to my car a little after 10:30, and that was due to dashing off at about the 86 minute mark (which I absolutely hate doing) in order to try and get back across towards Worthing on the trains quickly.

As I parked my car this morning, in the same spot I'd picked it up from eight hours earlier, I did wonder if it was all worth it. We've seemingly now entered an era where almost every game will be available by dodgy online stream and the sofa with a cider in hand has more appeal than my WSU seat.

I appreciate not everyone has commuting joys/woes to contend with, but a lot of people have varying circumstances that make midweek games a pain in the arse, and I can well understand why many thousands of season ticket holders give a lot of them a miss.

Spot on, Bozza !

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It is entirely possible IMO if we end up in the bottom half of the table and sell our stars. I saw the way the crowds plummeted at the Goldstone and you no longer need a season ticket to be able to watch any game in a season. Hope we end up high up the table and don't find out how realistic this is though.
Load of rubbish...that won't happen pal and you know it..The goldstone was a shitehole for a couple of decades and was never goner attract decent crowds,even during shite years in lower divisions we got 10k+ and now we have a superb stadium and a big fanbase.You would love to see 10k but you won't.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
23,000+ is still a fantastic audience. Wolves could go top of the league tonight with a win and there will probably only be 18,000 or so there.

I don't think anyone would have believed 5 years ago we'd be here now worried abbout audiences of only 23,000.
The fact that we rarely win and sit 18th the crowds are great...Even Sheff w got 18k last night 😀

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Heard a steward at thestation say 7000 wher using the trains last night and just over 19000 in the ground according to his report from club ! About right imo.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Average for sure will be below 20K next season (away fan attendances dropping too).

Would beg to think what it will be should we get relegated.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Load of rubbish...that won't happen pal and you know it..The goldstone was a shitehole for a couple of decades and was never goner attract decent crowds,even during shite years in lower divisions we got 10k+ and now we have a superb stadium and a big fanbase.You would love to see 10k but you won't.

No idea why you'd think I want to see 10k crowds :shrug:

Feb 14, 2010

Would these clubs woith "historically larger support" be clubs who historically have been one, two or three divisions above BHA? If so then you are not comparing like with like. Brighton have historically had the 11th best support in the country despite playing lower league football and crowds of 34000 for Rochdale at home. Remarkable dont you think? The problem at Brighton is not and never has been the support, its the team. The club has had no success at all except Charlie Webb's heroes of 1910 and a brief spell of top flight football in the late 70's and early 80's. If only the team was half as good as the support, then that would have the crowds flocking even more. But still, 23000 on a midweek for Cardiff in the Championship. Not bad, not bad at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here