Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's not often I agree with a Tory.......

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Osbornes got that face and such a condescending way of communicating it makes you want to slap him round the chops...mind u i don't care much for Ed Ballsup either....Vince Cable? Hmmm....who's UKIPS finance person ???

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
2015 General Election will be one of the biggest landslide victories for Labour this country has ever seen. UKIP are soaking up all the numpty right wing votes that normally went to the Tories. I'm proper looking forward to getting our labour government back and consigning the last 4 years of Tory dictatorship to the annals of regrettable history.

It depends on how well the Tories can present the statistics on economic improvement and paint Labour as too much of a risk. As regards the UKIP vote, given the defections and growing confidence as a result, they may get three or four seats. Remember, at home general elections people revert to type, and also, Labour have lost voters to UKIP too.

I maintain that I think it will be a narow Labour win, or a hung parliament. If the Labour is only six points ahead now, that may narrow nearer the time as it often does.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It's a bit like a choice between sticking pins in your eyes or sitting on a large cactus, you are screwed either way you just get to choose which end you take it.

D

Deleted member 22389

Osbornes got that face and such a condescending way of communicating it makes you want to slap him round the chops...mind u i don't care much for Ed Ballsup either....Vince Cable? Hmmm....who's UKIPS finance person ???

Honestly people don't care who the finance person of a political party is, the majority don't pick apart what politicians say either, they don't study what each political party offers, people just don't have time to consume themselves with politics 24/7. They just want someone to listen to their main concerns and get the things they see as problems sorted out, but none of them seem interested in doing it. This is why voters have had enough.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It depends on how well the Tories can present the statistics on economic improvement and paint Labour as too much of a risk. As regards the UKIP vote, given the defections and growing confidence as a result, they may get three or four seats. Remember, at home general elections people revert to type, and also, Labour have lost voters to UKIP too.

I maintain that I think it will be a narow Labour win, or a hung parliament. If the Labour is only six points ahead now, that may narrow nearer the time as it often does.

It's not UKIP winning seats that's the issue. If Conservative voters desert them in Tory marginals it will lose the Tories seats to Labour and perhaps the Lib Dems. It won't take much of a swing to have an impact.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
2015 General Election will be one of the biggest landslide victories for Labour this country has ever seen. UKIP are soaking up all the numpty right wing votes that normally went to the Tories. I'm proper looking forward to getting our labour government back and consigning the last 4 years of Tory dictatorship to the annals of regrettable history.

Do you think Balls has learnt his economic lessons yet or will he royally mess it all up again?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Gideon has excelled himself with today's announcement about scrapping the higher rate of tax on INHERITED pension funds.

If you set out to try and parody old school Tory policy that seeks simply to protect the interest of the privileged few then you could hardly do better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gideon has excelled himself with today's announcement about scrapping the higher rate of tax on INHERITED pension funds.

If you set out to try and parody old school Tory policy that seeks simply to protect the interest of the privileged few then you could hardly do better.

It's unbelievable isn't it?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

put them all in a very small room and the them slap one another, but I know exactly what you mean about Gideon

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
People have given up saying this government is a 'coalition government', due to those spineless Liberal Democrats. Though imagine how terrible a tory majority government would be? I am shuddering.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Couldn't make it up could you, the easiest of easy targets and the nasties go after the poor again.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I assume we agree that the benefits you're talking about are things like working tax credit and child tax credit and that they are necessary for those that are low paid ?

I wonder which government brought them in ? Ah, yes, Labour - so for 7 years of a Labour government the wages of some were so low that the government had to top them up. The difference between Tory government and Labour government - almost bugger all.

Is that comment for real? Let's take away tax credits for those in work and increase the minimum wage to reflect that reduction!

Couldn't have put it better. We have a budget deficit which the Tories, despite promises, have failed to eliminate. We are told there will be even more austerity measures to reduce it further. What better way of achieving that by reducing the taxes of the top 1/2 % ( I believe 320k is the number estimated to benefit from the tax changes to inherited pensions) and reducing the benefits of those at the bottom. Less benefits to those that can't afford it and less taxes to those at the top who can.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gordon Brown was not a successful Prime Minister but comparing his keynote speech about the Scottish Independence 'No' cause to the keynote speech Ed Miliband gave at the Labour Party Conference last week showed that one is a political heavyweight and the other an amateur. God help this country if Red Ed the Buffoon gets in.

I have nothing against Labour and I'd have Douglas Alexander and Andy Burnham in my dream time coalition every time.

As for a major Tory collapse, I don't buy it. Cast your mind back to 1992 when the polls had Labour ahead, Kinnock thought he was going to be PM and held his now infamous Sheffield rally. The economy was just one year out of recession but still fragile. In the end the British electorate voted in John Major and rejected Kinnock. Times change but I still think millions of voters will vote safety first, especially as the alternatives are weak and risky.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As for a major Tory collapse, I don't buy it. Cast your mind back to 1992 when the polls had Labour ahead, Kinnock thought he was going to be PM and held his now infamous Sheffield rally. The economy was just one year out of recession but still fragile. In the end the British electorate voted in John Major and rejected Kinnock. Times change but I still think millions of voters will vote safety first, especially as the alternatives are weak and risky.

I agree. UKIP is garnering a bit of support now - most of it from former Tory voters - but opinion polls, by-elections and European elections are one thing, general elections quite another. I predict large numbers of those UKIP voters returning to the Tory fold once they get inside the polling booth

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Were it not for the "wrong Milliband" factor a Labour landslide might be a realistic outcome. However.............. :nono:

It is saying something that this openly elistist (in politicians and policy) Conservative party, who have missed every single revenue target going, while pursuing (compared to the last 15 years) brutal austerity, are still in with a decent chance at the next election.

These conferences have just shown up to me how superficial and useless the current lot of politicians are. My current plan is to spoil my ballot paper next May - at the moment I don't feel that there's any way I could vote for any of them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is that comment for real? Let's take away tax credits for those in work and increase the minimum wage to reflect that reduction!

Where have I said take the tax credits away ? If you read the post I was replying to, the author was suggesting that the low paid needed tax credits because they were low paid due to this Tory governments policies. I was pointing out that the low paid were still there under Labours 13 years in power and indeed it took them half of their tenure before they even introduced tax credits - i.e. under BOTH governments there have been low paid workers claiming benefits - the OP suggested this was a Tory inspired problem - it isn't. It's just neither government has bothered to solve the problem properly.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

& you will continue to refuse any inheritance offered?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here