Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus / Apple Watch

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
what game? yes, integrated dev kit is going to make it better for those developers already on the Apple cart, but do we actually want £2-300 watches that save us from the labourious effort of picking up our phone. which we are probably already holding.

Yes, much of it smacks of attempting to provide solutions for problems that don't actually exist.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Being a bit lazy here- are there photos floating about of this watch thing?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Surely there is a setting to flip the phone interface 180 degrees? Tim Cook is left handed. I'm sure he'd have made sure it was fine for lefties.

The screen isn't the problem, it's that the "digital crown" and button are on the right hand side.

Edit: just found this

"Update: So, it turns out the Apple Watch really works TWO ways. Apple tells us on initial setup, you can choose to have the watch face orient itself for use on the right wrist, making it friendly to lefties. The watch bands are also swappable, so your band isn't facing the wrong way. Good news for everyone involved, but like most things in life, Lefties will still have to deal with a right-handed design -- the crown will be on the bottom of the left side of the watch when on the right wrist."

So it flips it upside down but making the crown in the bottom left. Still a bit awkward.

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
The watch looks good and has a number of interchangeable strap options, my concern would be battery life and the functions only work with an Iphone 5 and above. I would also be concerned about future compatibility with OS systems. I suppose if the watch is seen as disposable, as most computer technology is, it would not matter to most, but for me watches should have longevity, my oldest watch is nearly 60 years old.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Modern Buckle

A small French tannery established in 1803 produces the supple Granada leather for this elegant band. The smooth top-grain leather is lightly milled and tumbled to attain a refined texture. What looks like a solid buckle is actually a two-piece magnetic closure that’s delightfully simple to secure. We also added an inner layer of material for strength and stretch resistance. It’s the same material NASA used to create the parachute strings for the Mars Rover. This band is available in soft pink, brown, and midnight blue.

I'm sorry, but if anyone felt compelled to impart this NUGGET of information to me about their watch strap, I'd spit on their back the second they were turned.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Err, Google wallet has been around in the USA since 2011. This allows credit cards, debit cards and store cards to be used through wireless payments from an android phone. It seems a bit rich if apple are saying they are innovative etc but they've lied before. Are apple introducing this feature in the UK?

And on the flash question, I don't think this is likely as flash is dead as far as adobe are concerned.

Google wallet was first yes, but it is so unsecure that peoples details were easy access, with apple pay and the security it is 99.9% safe.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
How much can expect the 5s price to drop to following this launch.
If the 6 16gb is £549 then currently that's the same as 5s isn't it?
What will the reduce to 5s to temp buyers to buy the old stock?

5.5 inch screen iPhone 6 plus comes in 3 storage capacities 16gb 64gb 128gb

16gb £619
64gb £699
128gb £789

4.7 inch screen 16gb 64gb 128gb

16gb £539
64gb £619
128gb £699

D

Deleted member 22389

Just saw the launch in California on the news. The audience cheering because of a new phone. CHEERING BECAUSE A NEW PHONE IS LAUNCHED. What the hell is the world coming to?

Is a bit sad really.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
$349 for the apple watch? Ridiculous stupid price.

As charging say, £500 for a bog standard timepiece is fine then?

In terms of what it does compared to a normal watch, I would say it's very cheap.

I am not buying one though because I can't warrant the extra expense

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
6 for me, 6+ is too big and don't get the point in the watch.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's annoying - I like the sound of the 6 Plus for reasons including the battery lasting even longer, but I am not sure I'd get on easily with a phone that is quite THAT big, although the early hands-ons indicate that the thin-ness helps.

Ideally I'd like to compare before making a purchase, but doing that will be very difficult any time soon as they will sell out repeatedly for many weeks. Pre-ordering is the way to go, but that involves committing.

Order both and take the loser back to the Apple Store. Job done. :thumbsup:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
After further thought I'm going to buy an s5 outright and get a month to month contract to trial it. If I don't like I will switch back to apple.

The 6 plus is simply too big and apple have admitted that the 6 has the same battery life as the 5s (which probably means it's worse). Again 12 hours battery life for the watch is simply not good enough - they need to address the battery issues badly!!!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have to throw my hat in with goldstone as bashlsdir on this thread. Sometimes there is something quite innovative announced that warrants a level of excitement and anticipation. This feels like "Now That's What I Call A Phone 57"

I am not totally dismissive though and have to admit to a certain degree of camera envy. This is still one area that high end phones can use to justify a premium.

The whole watch thing leaves me cold. I would like one for two phase authentication, NFC payments and sports/health. None of these things warrant spending more than about 50 quid tops. No bells and whistles, fancy screens or awesome displays required and no sense of urgency on my part to rush out and buy something.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
what game? yes, integrated dev kit is going to make it better for those developers already on the Apple cart, but do we actually want £2-300 watches that save us from the labourious effort of picking up our phone. which we are probably already holding.

In a word, wearables.

We didn't need an iPhone or an iPad when they came out (and to be fair many people still don't). But if I'd come on here after the launch of the iPad and told you there'd be one in every third household by 2014, you would never have believed it.

Wearables look like they will be the next "frontier" in tech. Tracking your heartrate, exercise and the like. This is just the beginning remember. In a few years, I really do believe that most people will have some sort of monitor on their body for most of the day.

So far, (barring Moto's 360), they've all looked like shit and the OS isn't particularly well designed IMO. Now, we've got Apple on board. They're renowned for making high-quality products and giving developers a great environment (and distribution platform) to work with. The developers will be all over this trying to cash in and the consumer is the one who will benefit.

I don't think it's perfect by any means. But when Apple steps in to a market like this and goes all in, everybody stands up and takes notice because usually (iPod, iPhone, iPad), they succeed. More than succeed. They fundamentally change the tech industry. I'm pretty sure they've just done it again. But only time will tell!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Think I know the answer but thought I would check. If I buy the 6, sim free, in America would there be any problem using it over here?
I think and hoping no!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here