Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***PLAYER RATINGS*** vs Charlton

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Stockdale - 6 Clearly at fault for the first goal but nothing more he could have done with the second. Good distribution and I disagree with a lot of the other comments on this thread about his performance, and his overall performances for us so far.
Bruno - 7 Some nice touches as always, graceful in everything he did and offers an outlet down the right.
Greer - 6 Not at his commanding best today but wasn't really tested. The fact we conceded two is really unforunate today but highlights the difference between us and a lot of other teams at this level, we need several chances to score.
Dunk - 9 Just about the best centre back performance I've seen, two goals scored and countless interceptions, tackles distribution was fantastic, clearly the best player on the pitch today.
Bennett - 6 Gave the ball away quite often and his final pass was quite often misplaced or ineffective. Not his best performance, but he didn't play badly.
Holla - 8 Classy, skillful, brave, hard in the tackle and can pick a pass with either foot. Top class player, very good find but needs better players around him to get the most out of his talent.
Crofts - 4 Offered nothing. Deservedly withdrawn at half time and doesn't offer enough in this current formation - not at home at least. He'll run all day and he'll put in the shift you want of him but the midfield 3 were too negative in my opinion and there's not enough balance. Gardner adds more to the team as he can contribute more going foward creatively. Crofts will contribute goals, as we saw last season, but I don't think this system best utilises him.
Forster-Caskey - 6 Ordinary performance today but he's getting a lot of unfair criticism. Realistically he's only got Teixiera, CMS and Colunga (today) to find with forward passes and that doesn't give too much scope. He's a good player but needs to work on offering more in the final third.
Teixiera - 7 I disagree with the man of the match award, I thought he did a lot of things well but flitted in and out of the game too often for my liking and didn't effect it as much as he did against Bolton. Great player though!
Colunga - 7 About the same as Tex really, did a lot of things well but didn't really affect the game too much where it really matters. Obviously a good player and with more games, training and coaching by Sami and the lads, he'll be a useful weapon for us.
Mackail-Smith - 6 Disappointingly withdrawn at home when you're pushing on to get something from the game, and it would have been good to see what sort of understanding he could have forged with Baldock.

Subs
Gardner - 6 A cracking ball early on and then a few other neat passes, but no real impact.
LuaLua - 6 I'm done with him now. And playing him in the middle? Not for me. Exciting but rarely delivers.
Baldock - N/A Not given long enough but looked neat and tidy.

Overall, it was a good game of football and a whole lot more enjoyable than the majority of games last season! Decent cheeseburger post match too, so I have no complaints at all from my Amex experience today.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thought we were in the second half..... Hardly created anything. Two goals from set pieces, CMS swivel..... anything else, Bennett lashing it into the side netting, not particularly great.

We played better in the second half, than the first.

Stockdale 6 Maybe should have stayed up to make himself larger at his near post
Bruno 6
Dunk 8
Greer 7
Bennett 7

JFC 6
Holla 7
Crofts 5

Teixeira 8
Colunga 7
CMS 6

Gardner 7
LuaLUa 7
Baldock 7

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Stockdale 4 Admitted he should have done better with the first. Fair play for put his hands up.

Bruno 2 Mr Liability, should not be in that position what Calderon must be thinking? He contributed nothing, no crosses went passed the first defender he slowed play down and kept passing backwards. Some how there are some fans who like him but as I've often said and I'll repeat doesn't get close to the amount of assists or goal scored by the best right back at the club, Mr Calderon. And certainly can't defend unless standing 10 yards away from the attacker with your hands behind your back and dangling a lrg counts. When he gets too close he tends to commit a foul. Should be in midfield if at all at least his deficiencies can be somewhat nullified.

Greer 5 Failed to react for the first goal

Dunk 10 Best player on the park

Bennett 5 Suffering from perhaps not having a wise head driving the midfield when attacking.

Holla 7 OK one of those players that just get on with it.

JFC 5 Why attempt to be creative when you can pass the buck is JFC's philosophy

Crofts 4 Not at the races, shame as before his injury was the midfield driver we appear to lack, especially today.

Texeira 7 Skillful but you can't beat everyone all the time.

Colunga 5 A little disappointing

CMS 5 Not his best but was screaming at the midfield/wingbacks where to put the ball, no one listened. Thought he was going to explode at one point shouting at Bruno who stuck his arrogant nose in the air.

Gardner ? dunno didn't really notice him if I'm honest
KLL 6 ok
Baldock ? Have to wait and see

Stumpy Tim

Stockdale 4. Very average. Seemed to miss the cross that their defender almost scored from too
Bruno - 6.5. decent enough
Greer - 6. Couldn't cope with their forward at all.
Dunk - 8.5. Top quality
Bennett - 7. Thought he played well. Surprised to see so many people saying he was poor
Holla - 8. Qualla
Jfc - 7. Way better than people give him credit for
Crofts - 6. Not good at all.
Tex - 8. Fabulous skill. Not everything came off, but if he was Messi he wouldn't be with us
Colunga - 7. Decent game and will only get better. I prefer to see him upfront
CMS - 6.5. Better in first half, but not quite got the touch to be first choice

Gardner - 6.5. Marginally better than Crofts but hopefully more to come
Lua Lua - 6.5. tried hard and rewarded with the assist.
Baldock - didn't see enough of him to mark

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Stockdale - 6

Bruno - 6
Bennett - 7
Greer - 4 Dreadful for their 2nd and gave the ball away often
Dunk - 9

Holla - 6 Looked unfit today. So much more to come I'm sure
JFC - 5
Crofts - 5

Tex - 8
Corlunga - 6 To be honest I expected a bit more
CMS - 5 After last week, very disappointing

Gardner - 6
KLL - 6
Baldock - Not on long enough

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bruno - 6 - at times looks great at others I looked down the pitch when we were defending and he was still right up the other end!

Like their first goal. Then started waving his arms about after they scored from his side. MR LIABILITY STRIKES AGAIN.

The man doesn't understand responsibility.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stockdale 5 not much to do other than pick the ball out of the net twice.
Bruno 5 didn't get forward until the last 10 mins when both full backs pushed on.
Bennett 6 similar to Bruno but this lad is a good left back and will be a real asset to us
Greer 5 seemed to dive in on vetokele when standing his ground would have been a better option. Steady generally.
Dunk 9 this is what I call development. Probably one of the best performances I've seen from a bha centre back for a long time.
Holla 7 seems like an excellent addition and showed again that he's a decent player in the holding role
Crofts 4 I like crofts attitude but I'm not sure how many more games he will be used in the starting 11.
Texeira 8 real quality, and tried hard to get us playing. Seemed to have to drop extremely deep to get the ball 2nd half.
JFC 5 misplaced passes when well placed late on. Hoping his game improves with much better quality around him.
Colunga 7 looked dangerous and had good vision. Tired late on.
CMS 5 tries so hard but not sure if he can deliver the goals we need this year.

Gardner 5
Lua lua 6
Baldock no mark... Not enough time

Good summary, can't argue with any of the above.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd disagree that they defended with ease: We created enough clear chances and half chances that we could have scored another 3 on top of the 2 we did if we'd been more clinical. The amount of corners that we won is a good indication of how many times we put a decent ball into the box.

I shall clarify/amend it. They largely defended the first half with ease. I remember two good chances - Teixeira thwarted by a good save, and Bruno skying the ball. There may have been good balls into the box, but once there, chances were mostly snuffed out by strong disciplined defending. Hence the large number of corners - we (seemingly to me) frequently tried to take shots/cross the ball through a defender rather than make space for the shot/cross.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Plenty of 'wait & sees' from me. When a few players gel we could be very good indeed. Think we're still one signing short, though - at least...
Stockdale - 5.5
Bruno - 7
Bennett - 6.5
Greer - 7.5
Dunk - 7 for the goals, needs to stop nodding off momentarily
Holla - 8 - very, very solid
JFC - 6
Crofts - 6 - still don't think he's fit, could be crucial when he is
Tex - 8 - class - wish we'd had him & Holla a few weeks earlier, we might be top already
Colunga - 6
CMS - 6.5 - worked hard against some horrible lumps, on his own - again

Gardner - 6 - no opinion yet
Kaz - 7 - worked hard, like to see him wider
Baldock - ?

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Stockdale 5- still to show us he is more than just average!
Bruno- 6.5 ok-decision making erratic at times
Bennett 5- showed good strength in possesion, at fault for 2nd goal!
Greer 6.5- ok,turned easily for 2nd goal by the impressive Veloteke!
Dunk 8- maturing into a classy player! Starting to fulfill enormous potential! Big guns will start watching again!
Holla 6.5 - tidy CDM performance,started sluggish and left defence exposed for opening goal!
JFC 6.5 - worked hard and looked after ball!
Crofts 5- can do much better! Usual presence not there today! bit disjointed at times.
Teixeira 7.5- Class act- joy to watch! Shame he hasnt a Veloteke in the team to supply!
CMS 6- worked hard against 2 decent deep lying CBs! Unlucky at times and needed support for 2nd ball!
Colunga 6.5- Showed good movement,touches and pace! will become a big asset when settled in!Obvious quality!
Gardner-5 Quiet.
LuaLua 6 - Usual enterprise and effort- more effective wide than playing centrally?
Baldock- not enough match time!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Great game to watch, but with the number of shots we had we should have won. We really really need a target man up front. The few long balls up the middle were completely wasted.

Stockdale 5. Didn't see him make a save. Could he have done better with the first goal? His distribution better than Kuszczack, but so far I haven't seen any signs that he's a better shot-stopper.
Bruno 7. One of his best games in the RB slot. Defended OK and got forward regularly.
Greer 7. Good game apart from one awful pass.
Dunk 9. Great defending and two excellent goals. Really looks the finished article. So pleased Sammi has given him the opportunity.
Bennett 6. Loses a point for his part in Charlton's second goal. Not as good as v Bolton, but OK.
Holla 8. Great performance. I really like this guy.
Crofts 6. OK. Not at his best.
JFC 4. More poor corners until Holla took over and did nothing of note. The weakest link in the team ... again.
Tex 8. Incredible in the 1st half (Vicente with energy), but tried to do too much in the 2nd half. Maybe he was tiring?
Colunga 6. Jury's out. Give him time and let's see.
CMS 5. One good shot on the turn, but overall poor ball control let him down time and again. Also seems to have lost some speed. We need better.

Subs:
Gardner 6. OK, but didn't really notice him.
Lua Lua 7. Made an immediate impact as usual. One very wayward shot, but great assist for the goal. Should have taken the free kick near the end ... he scores from them.
Baldock - not on long enough.

Agree with that.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Stockdale 5. Again, nothing to do but pick the ball out of the net. Distributes well and got to see a 'keeper come up for a last minute corner
Bruno 4. The guy is just a liability at right back.
Greer 7. Decent
Dunk 9. Clear MotM even without the goals
Bennett 6. Decent but could have done better with their second
Holla 8. A seriously quality addition
Crofts 4. Possibly. I don't know if its a blind spot or not but I jus don't see Crofts doing anything of use
JFC 6. Ok
Tex 7. Brilliant first half, marked out of the second
Colunga 6.5. Decent. Flitted in and out of the game
CMS 6. Looked lonely

Look, this was a good performance marred by two defensive lapses. We are a far more enjoyable team to watch now and whenever we concede I expect us to score which hasn't been the case since we won league one.

Oh, a couple more ratings:

Ref 4. Allowed Charlton to waste time from minute 4.
Charlton 5. Their striker is good, possibly very good, but they were desperate timewasters as we see week in, week out at the Amex. Book them early and it'll stop.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Stockdale 5. Again, nothing to do but pick the ball out of the net. Distributes well and got to see a 'keeper come up for a last minute corner
Bruno 4. The guy is just a liability at right back.
Greer 7. Decent
Dunk 9. Clear MotM even without the goals
Bennett 6. Decent but could have done better with their second
Holla 8. A seriously quality addition
Crofts 4. Possibly. I don't know if its a blind spot or not but I jus don't see Crofts doing anything of use
JFC 6. Ok
Tex 7. Brilliant first half, marked out of the second
Colunga 6.5. Decent. Flitted in and out of the game
CMS 6. Looked lonely

Look, this was a good performance marred by two defensive lapses. We are a far more enjoyable team to watch now and whenever we concede I expect us to score which hasn't been the case since we won league one.

Oh, a couple more ratings:

Ref 4. Allowed Charlton to waste time from minute 4.
Charlton 5. Their striker is good, possibly very good, but they were desperate timewasters as we see week in, week out at the Amex. Book them early and it'll stop.
I think 4 is harsh, but glad I'm not the only one that thinks Crofts is mediocre.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think 4 is harsh, but glad I'm not the only one that thinks Crofts is mediocre.

I find him impossible to rate. Possibly a 5 or a 6 would be fairer but I can honestly say that I never remember anything the guy does. It's not a criticism, I just cannot for the life of me point to any positive or negative contribution he made today (or on any other day).

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Stockdale 6 - I thought he should have done better with both goals, though he was possibly unsighted on the first. He seems to dive flat, rather than taking a step before diving, which would enable him to stretch further. Something for Niemi to work on in training. I've given him an extra point for his contribution from the corner, which unsettled the Charlton defence.
Bruno 6 - Better defensively, not so good going forward.
Bennett 4 - Poor today, far worse than his promising debut. Good going forward, but what was he doing for their goals? He was at least in part responsible for both. Defending is still his main role, even if he is a wing back. Think Villa fans' assessments were correct.
Greer 7 - Would have been 8, but was passed far too easily by Ventokele for Charlton's second goal.
Dunk 9 - Outstanding; clear MoM for me. Nothing got past him on the ground, and even with the free header late on he did enough to put the Charlton player off. Rounded off with two superb headed goals.
Holla 7.5 - Looked completely assured in his role; I was slightly worried when I saw Johnny Jackson was in Charlton's line-up, as he is a very good midfielder, but Holla was equally as good. A pity he didn't take the free kick near the end.
JFC 6 - I'm not going to give him the slating he gets on here, but I thought either he or Crofts could have gone off at half time. Would he be better suited to the more advanced role he plays for the England Under-21s?
Crofts 5 - Not really in the game apart from one run early in the first half. Either he or JFC could have been subbed at half time.
Texeira 6.5 - Most attacks went through him, but I thought he had an off day. His passing was rather inaccurate, and his fluffed pass to Colunga was especially poor, as Colunga had a clear run on goal. A nuisance to Charlton, but I thought they coped with him fairly easily.
Colunga 6.5 - He will clearly be an asset, but wasn't much of a threat from what I could see. He should have done better with the chance from the corner; he seemed to snatch at it.
CMS 5 - Way off form today. Whenever the ball came to him he seemed to get knocked off it, and apart from the swivel, did very little in attack. With Baldock waiting to take his place, I think he could be spending some time on the bench.
Gardner 7 - I was impressed; I think he could be a useful signing, and worth trying to hold on to in January if Stephens isn't fully fit. Far more effective to me than either Crofts or JFC.
KLL 6 - Great cross for the equaliser, but otherwise tried to take on too many Charlton players.
Baldock - Not on for long enough to rate.

Last edited:

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Stockdale - 6

Bruno - 6
Bennett - 6
Greer - 6
Dunk - 9

Holla - 7.5
JFC - 5
Crofts - 6

Tex - 8.5
Corlunga - 7
CMS - 6

Gardner - 6
KLL - 6
Baldock - Not on long enough

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Stockdale - 5 - yet to make a save. Dynamite with his feet, but should have been sharper on the second goal. Wonder if Kuszcz would have saved the first.....
Bruno - 6 - ok
Bennett - 4 - Had an absolute stinker, culminating his part in their second with JFC
Greer - 6 - turned too easily on the second
Dunk - 8 - largely because of the goals he scored
Holla - 6 - ok
JFC - 5 - some good passes, some bad, but what was he doing on the second with Bennett? Stupid booking
Crofts - 5 -
Tex - 6 - some brilliant things, some very ordinary
Corluga - 6 - great first half, tired second
CMS - 5 - poor performance, against two big defenders, made good runs, but poor control quite often, great swivel and shot in 2nd half.

Gardner - 6 - ok
KLL - 6 - great cross for the second
Baldock - 6 - barely in the game, but tried

Hyypia/Jones - really poor that they didn't demand that Holla took the free kick near the end.

Ref - just a t**t. Pointed to his watch re time-wasting in the 25th minute, and preceded to do nothing.....

You are a plonker...could not have watched the match today

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Stockdale - 6 Clearly at fault for the first goal but nothing more he could have done with the second. Good distribution and I disagree with a lot of the other comments on this thread about his performance, and his overall performances for us so far.
Bruno - 7 Some nice touches as always, graceful in everything he did and offers an outlet down the right.
Greer - 6 Not at his commanding best today but wasn't really tested. The fact we conceded two is really unforunate today but highlights the difference between us and a lot of other teams at this level, we need several chances to score.
Dunk - 9 Just about the best centre back performance I've seen, two goals scored and countless interceptions, tackles distribution was fantastic, clearly the best player on the pitch today.
Bennett - 6 Gave the ball away quite often and his final pass was quite often misplaced or ineffective. Not his best performance, but he didn't play badly.
Holla - 8 Classy, skillful, brave, hard in the tackle and can pick a pass with either foot. Top class player, very good find but needs better players around him to get the most out of his talent.
Crofts - 4 Offered nothing. Deservedly withdrawn at half time and doesn't offer enough in this current formation - not at home at least. He'll run all day and he'll put in the shift you want of him but the midfield 3 were too negative in my opinion and there's not enough balance. Gardner adds more to the team as he can contribute more going foward creatively. Crofts will contribute goals, as we saw last season, but I don't think this system best utilises him.
Forster-Caskey - 6 Ordinary performance today but he's getting a lot of unfair criticism. Realistically he's only got Teixiera, CMS and Colunga (today) to find with forward passes and that doesn't give too much scope. He's a good player but needs to work on offering more in the final third.
Teixiera - 7 I disagree with the man of the match award, I thought he did a lot of things well but flitted in and out of the game too often for my liking and didn't effect it as much as he did against Bolton. Great player though!
Colunga - 7 About the same as Tex really, did a lot of things well but didn't really affect the game too much where it really matters. Obviously a good player and with more games, training and coaching by Sami and the lads, he'll be a useful weapon for us.
Mackail-Smith - 6 Disappointingly withdrawn at home when you're pushing on to get something from the game, and it would have been good to see what sort of understanding he could have forged with Baldock.

Subs
Gardner - 6 A cracking ball early on and then a few other neat passes, but no real impact.
LuaLua - 6 I'm done with him now. And playing him in the middle? Not for me. Exciting but rarely delivers.
Baldock - N/A Not given long enough but looked neat and tidy.

Overall, it was a good game of football and a whole lot more enjoyable than the majority of games last season! Decent cheeseburger post match too, so I have no complaints at all from my Amex experience today.

Yep, agree with all of this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here