Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bedwetters gone quiet

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
The club must be one of the most transparent out there. Online, social, public meetings, local fan clubs, emails, interviews, podcasts.. TB, Barber etc are no slouches in telling fans what's happening and do it 24/7. They were very clear about the transfer window from the outset and repeated it many times in many forums in many ways. We will provide a competitive squad by the time the window closes.

Yet they weren't believed by many who post on here.

Threads about TB selling the club, only interested in infrastructure, the competency of the recruitment team , the motives of Paul Barber was questioned constantly and the words of Bloom were dismissed, forgotten or not believed. It was only 7 signings in 11 days and 3 wins on the trot and hey presto.

As a wise poster on here said yesterday, it's either famine or feast on here from most of us and let's face it were a long way from being promoted. It's going to be a tough job getting that squad to play together in a new system for a manager unused to the Championship and relatively untested. Things are going to get rough. I guarantee it.

But were we told. ?
Constantly. Again and again. The club were crystal clear ...
Some just chose not to listen ...

Absolutely 100% spot on.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Amazing how so many posters suddenly reveal themselves to be level headed superfans now the transfer window appears a success. Plenty of people advocated keeping calm but plenty of others, silence ...until now. Funny that, maybe they were as concerned as the rest of us but were keeping quiet until knowing which opinion was right then coming down on that side. I am perfectly happy to admit that Iam still pissed off at throwing 6 points away due to having an understrength squad but am more than happy with the squad as it stands, stronger at the end of the window than it was at the start.......for the first time for 18 months.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

It makes perfect sense. Clearly he is eager to see the reaction of a fan who doesn't react when he stormed off after staying in a match v Birmingham where we faced Norwich.

I don't see why you're having trouble with it.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The club must be one of the most transparent out there. Online, social, public meetings, local fan clubs, emails, interviews, podcasts.. TB, Barber etc are no slouches in telling fans what's happening and do it 24/7. They were very clear about the transfer window from the outset and repeated it many times in many forums in many ways. We will provide a competitive squad by the time the window closes.

Erm. I'm not sure repeatedly saying "we're not going to go in to specifics, but just wait until the end of the transfer window before judging the squad" counts as transparency. It's basically saying "shut up and wait" which isn't what transparency is about.

Transparency would be "these are the players/types of players we have made bids on£, "these bids were accepted but the player's demands were too high interest from other clubs priced us out", "this is a player we're close to completing a deal with", "we're waiting to hear back from this player".

Look at Cotterill telling the press about interest in his players (yeah, he overvalued Baldock, but that's part of the game) he let it be known people were after his player. Look at Cork City with their updates on Lenihan. That is transparency.

What we did was professional. It was done to give us the best chance of getting the targets we wanted, to give us as much leverage (or reduce other clubs' and agent's leverage) by eliminating expectation etc. It was an entirely reasonable method to use, and I don't criticise them for it, but it wasn't transparent.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Yet they weren't believed by many who post on here.

Threads about TB selling the club, only interested in infrastructure, the competency of the recruitment team , the motives of Paul Barber was questioned constantly and the words of Bloom were dismissed, forgotten or not believed. It was only 7 signings in 11 days and 3 wins on the trot and hey presto.

As a wise poster on here said yesterday, it's either famine or feast on here from most of us and let's face it were a long way from being promoted. It's going to be a tough job getting that squad to play together in a new system for a manager unused to the Championship and relatively untested. Things are going to get rough. I guarantee it.

But were we told. ?
Constantly. Again and again. The club were crystal clear ...
Some just chose not to listen ...

Don't forget BLOGS

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Another childish rambling, its like being at infants school when you learn a new word and then just keep repeating it, bore off with your bedwetter fans or maybe grow up !!!!!!!!!!!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
They were very clear about the transfer window from the outset and repeated it many times in many forums in many ways. We will provide a competitive squad by the time the window closes.

That wasn't said from the outset it was said at the fans forum a few days before the season started, If you read my earlier post Tony Bloom stated on the 3rd July " I'm confident for the start of the season we'll have a very competitive squad "
Quite clearly that plan never worked and fans were fully justified in being a bit concerned the way we started the season both with squad building and results.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It could be argued they did little to stave this off either.

Missing my point. They are not going to conduct transfer business in public, and nor should they, so why were so many people so willing to jump straight on the bandwagon in slagging off the club and not trusting that things would get done as they'd promised. TB has not let us down before, why were people so happy to believe he would this time.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What we did was professional. It was done to give us the best chance of getting the targets we wanted, to give us as much leverage (or reduce other clubs' and agent's leverage) by eliminating expectation etc. It was an entirely reasonable method to use, and I don't criticise them for it, but it wasn't transparent.

Yes agreed. The strategy of not providing a running commentary on our list of targets and how we're progressing is frustrating for some and can contribute to rumour and misunderstanding but ultimately it makes sense.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
11 signings ....

7 new players in 11 days, to complete our PROMOTION WINNING SQUAD

Where are you? Should've kept the faith

Who's to say the fans serious discontent early August didn't play a major part in the club upping their game?

Fair play for the off-the-wall imaginative signings tho :clap2:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The THREAT of a MASSIVE Protest had Bloom changing his UNDIES and opening his PURSE

Better late THAN never. Better to SINGE a truckload of new players than rely on THE same old dross who have had double DIBS at at the play-offs and been FOUND wanting.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I think a moral to all this could be summed up for each side of this debate, the all alleged bed wetters and the lickers, if that's what they appear to be labeled ...

Never a bed wetter or a licker be
At least not on a forum for all to see
Keep concerns and worries close to your heart
Or else a binfest you are bound to start
Be big and bold when maybe you posted knee jerk
Making an error don't make you a Burke
Big men hold their hands up and say
I may have been wrong guys, but hey ..
Hope you'll forgive my little rant
Please don't always hold me to account
There's not one of us who's judgement hasn't once gone missing
But trying for self justification continues ones digging