Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion in the market for another Striker

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Cos Gus said he wasnt worth the wages he wanted, common knowledge from people who know GM

thats about as believable as it sounds
Glen Murray went for the money and we were never going to match what he was going to get in wages or any pay-off, whatever Gus or anyone said

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interesting turnaround although fair play for coughing to it. I'm happy with what we have done but IMO we are more than a good striker from Auto. That back four is not going to win us big games for starters...

I think we can threaten the play off spots again, thats' about it. Good enough for me though...

Could change if we sign Lenihan from Cork

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
thats about as believable as it sounds
Glen Murray went for the money and we were never going to match what he was going to get in wages or any pay-off, whatever Gus or anyone said

Anyone who thinks Murray was on more at Palace(that first season), than what CMS came here for (when West Ham, QPR & Leicester were after him) is seriously deluded.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you read other threads you would know....I think we basically surrendered 6 points at the start of the season(lets hope we don't miss out on anything by 2 or 3 points) and I was seriously concerned, like many others. I'm not going to re write history and deny it. Or go hiding under a stone, like all the fans who thought anything other than the Spanish revolution, would ruin us and everything we had been working towards for the last four years??? Where are all these tippy tappy fans these days anyway???......as of this moment I am very pleased with the way things have panned out. I think we are top striker away from maybe an automatic promotion place.
Fair play.

The highlighted bit is an interesting comment.

Based on one game, and one game only, it seems like we have the 'tippy tappy' football we've been promised, for the last 4 years.
It feels like the 2 previous managers extolling it's virtues never had enough confidence in either the players or the style, to play without having the 'hand brake' on.

We've had more possession and shots than ever, restricting (poor) teams to crumbs.
The only obvious difference is now the full backs don't have to track back.

Having seen Wednesday :lol: and Bolton I'm very happy to be watching The Albion, this season.
(not something I was saying after the first game)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Anyone who thinks Murray was on more at Palace(that first season), than what CMS came here for (when West Ham, QPR & Leicester were after him) is seriously deluded.

bit of a silly argument it really does not matter what CMS was on who even mentioned him, I was talking about MURRAY who wanted away for more money................end of

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Fair play.

The highlighted bit is an interesting comment.

Based on one game, and one game only, it seems like we have the 'tippy tappy' football we've been promised, for the last 4 years.
It feels like the 2 previous managers extolling it's virtues never had enough confidence in either the players or the style, to play without having the 'hand brake' on.

We've had more possession and shots than ever, restricting (poor) teams to crumbs.
The only obvious difference is now the full backs don't have to track back.

Having seen Wednesday :lol: and Bolton I'm very happy to be watching The Albion, this season.
(not something I was saying after the first game)

Lol, you know what I mean....the sideways-sideways-backwards-sideways and back to the keeper brigade who would constantly deny that we weren't painfully boring to watch and insist, that was the way to play football.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Are people STILL talking about Murray? It's over for crying out loud. He left. At the time we replaced a man who scored 22 goals in League 1 for a man who scored 35 goals in League 1. The next season, Murray scored 7. That's SEVEN. Nobody was complaining and saying we should have caved in to his wage demands then. It was only the season after when we had a great year that suddenly 20:20 hindsight vision kicked in and it was labelled a huge mistake. Should we have signed Sam Vokes because he got 20 goals two whole seasons after leaving us from his loan spell? What about Chris Wood? Nobody was clamouring for us to break the bank for them. Murray is the past. He's on 20k+ at Palace, would (a) probably cost north of £2m, and (b) give Palace even more reason to take the piss, he's the wrong side of 30, and he's just come back from a year out with an ACL injury. If it was literally any other player that we were talking about with those circumstances, people wouldn't want us to go near him with a barge pole. Let it die.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
MURRAY,,,,as you say, never wanted away. He just wanted to feel wanted and be paid his worth.

then maybe he should have got on and done the job he was paid for instead of whinging like a girl

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Do people not listen to the words they've been singing the last 18 months?

....and we WONT mention Murray anymore!!!

ffs

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lol, you know what I mean....the sideways-sideways-backwards-sideways and back to the keeper brigade who would constantly deny that we weren't painfully boring to watch and insist, that was the way to play football.
It was still preferable to the 'lump it up to the big man' approach of the Amex's 2 visitors, so far.

When it was looking good, esp last season, I left a few games thinking 'blimey we're gonna stuff the next team we play'.
At that point the team seemed to regress back to square one again.

If Sami can push this team on, I might finally get my wish, just a year or 3 later.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Had Gus agreed to his wage demands TB would have paid them and he would have stayed and been scoring for us, that was TB mistake . It would cost £2m plus to rectify this mistake

But Gus didn't agree to the wage demands, Bloom could have gone against what Gus wanted but then Bloom would have had an unhappy manager who felt undermined, TB had to go with what Gus wanted as he'd just got us promoted at a canter, there was no-way at that point to know how their relationship would have ended up. Besides which we cannot say what would have happened had Murray stayed there is simply no-way of knowing, as other said he didn't set The Championship alight in his first season at Palace, he may have had a similar season here and the fickle members of NSC and the Albion fan-base would have been wondering why we bothered to offer him an improved contract. Everyone saying we should have kept him is saying it with hindsight which is a fantastic place to be, but you are only ever there after the event, unless you have a De-loren capable of 88mph there is nothing you can do to change what happened.

Yes it did cost us £2million to replace him but we've just made a £6-8 million pound profit on that replacement so I think TB will be happy enough with the final outcome.

Feb 14, 2010
[QUOTE=Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo;6535103Everyone saying we should have kept him is saying it with hindsight

Er no mate, many, many of us said at the time it was a very bad decision to let him go and when we saw CMS running around then that sealed it. Look Gus was a good manager, assembled a good defence and excellent midfield. But he screwed up on the strikers. That is just how it is. No need to re write history and accuse us of hindsight. Its not, we said it at the time and so yes, we did tell you so!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Er no mate, many, many of us said at the time it was a very bad decision to let him go and when we saw CMS running around then that sealed it. Look Gus was a good manager, assembled a good defence and excellent midfield. But he screwed up on the strikers. That is just how it is. No need to re write history and accuse us of hindsight. Its not, we said it at the time and so yes, we did tell you so!

I worded what I meant incorrectly, I should have said everyone saying we should have kept him and pointing to his second season at Palace as a reason is doing so from hindsight. There was simply no-way of knowing when we let him go that he would have a season of a life-time. At the time he went I was sad to see him leave, he never looked like he'd have a second season like that during his first season with Palace so at the time Gus looked like he'd made the right choice.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But Gus didn't agree to the wage demands, Bloom could have gone against what Gus wanted but then Bloom would have had an unhappy manager who felt undermined, TB had to go with what Gus wanted as he'd just got us promoted at a canter, there was no-way at that point to know how their relationship would have ended up. Besides which we cannot say what would have happened had Murray stayed there is simply no-way of knowing, as other said he didn't set The Championship alight in his first season at Palace, he may have had a similar season here and the fickle members of NSC and the Albion fan-base would have been wondering why we bothered to offer him an improved contract. Everyone saying we should have kept him is saying it with hindsight which is a fantastic place to be, but you are only ever there after the event, you have a De-loren capable of 88mph there is nothing you can do to change what happened Yes it did cost us £2million to replace him but we've just made a £6-8 million pound profit on that replacement so I think TB will be happy enough with the final outcome.

You are missing the point TB listened to Gus and acted accordingly what I said is it would cost £2m now to bring back GM and rectify the mistake of letting him go for nothing.

To obtain a new No 9, Murray would seem the best option available to us.

Feb 14, 2010
I worded what I meant incorrectly, I should have said everyone saying we should have kept him and pointing to his second season at Palace as a reason is doing so from hindsight. There was simply no-way of knowing when we let him go that he would have a season of a life-time. He never looked like he'd have a second season like that during his first season with Palace.

There was no way of knowing, but some of us predicted it. Actually its not what Murray did for Palace is the issue. Its Murray as a footballer, and how well he would have slotted into Poyets side with that midfield. It was all set up. He would have scored for fun (is and was my prediction). Instead we let him go and bought a bloke from Peterborough who ran around allot. We all make mistakes, and that was Poyets howler that cost the premier league in my view.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Do people not listen to the words they've been singing the last 18 months?

....and we WONT mention Murray anymore!!!

ffs
Paradoxically, every time we sing that, we are in fact mentioning him. So mentioning him again is not obviously inconsistent with the song.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My mate just rang me saying Aspinall was saying if we get the one we re after it will be massive? Can't see anything on here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here