Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I don't think there was such an outcry for Hughes, King or the Plymouth player who's name escapes me.

Exactly. The thing with Hughes and McCormick is that the crimes they were convicted didn't give much scope for people to showcase their politically correct credentials and for Marlon King they didn't want to risk risk damaging their politically correct credentials by condemning him.

Paul Heaton eh? didn't have a problem with SU signing Marlon King but he does with CE? Why is this? Funny how it took him a few days after SU announced CE was going to be training with them before he resigned his patronage, you would of thought if he felt that strongly about it his resignation would've happened on the same day as the announcement. Maybe the resignation came after 'talks with his record company' who pointed out the detrimental effects it might have on his record sales being associated with SU. The hypocricy of the whole thing is amazing, Charlie Webster the SU patron and 'womens rights' campaigner who resigned over this, excitedly tweeted about seeing Mike Tyson in a hotel lobby 'chickened out of asking for a photo.' Yes the convicted rapist Mike Tyson.

If Evans had knocked down and killed 2 children when drunk behind the wheel of a car he would be back playing now and the case would barely generate a headline in fact the PC brigade would probably talk about 'second chances' and 'rehabilitation.'

The ignorance of the 'he has not apologised' brigade is unbelievable. Have they no knowledge of the legal system? He is appealling against his conviction. Whats he supposed to say 'sorry for what I did but oh by the way I'm not guilty?'

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Marlon King they didn't want to risk risk damaging their politically correct credentials by condemning him.

I strongly disagree with you on this point. I think it's more to do with the development of public attitudes to sex crime in a short space of time, which is fantastic.

The appeal is part of the problem as well. Unfortunately, it appears appealing this conviction (which he is well within his rights to do) and resuming a career with significant public profile aren't compatible.

McCormack, Hughes, King et al are all part of football's shame but just because others have got away with things in the past is no reason to let football's image be tarnished in the future. The FA would do well to take a leaf out of the NFL's book on this, have a look how they've dealt with Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson this year. They need a coherent policy in this area so fans, clubs and players alike know where they stand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly. The thing with Hughes and McCormick is that the crimes they were convicted didn't give much scope for people to showcase their politically correct credentials and for Marlon King they didn't want to risk risk damaging their politically correct credentials by condemning him.

Paul Heaton eh? didn't have a problem with SU signing Marlon King but he does with CE? Why is this? Funny how it took him a few days after SU announced CE was going to be training with them before he resigned his patronage, you would of thought if he felt that strongly about it his resignation would've happened on the same day as the announcement. Maybe the resignation came after 'talks with his record company' who pointed out the detrimental effects it might have on his record sales being associated with SU. The hypocricy of the whole thing is amazing, Charlie Webster the SU patron and 'womens rights' campaigner who resigned over this, excitedly tweeted about seeing Mike Tyson in a hotel lobby 'chickened out of asking for a photo.' Yes the convicted rapist Mike Tyson.

If Evans had knocked down and killed 2 children when drunk behind the wheel of a car he would be back playing now and the case would barely generate a headline in fact the PC brigade would probably talk about 'second chances' and 'rehabilitation.'

The ignorance of the 'he has not apologised' brigade is unbelievable. Have they no knowledge of the legal system? He is appealling against his conviction. Whats he supposed to say 'sorry for what I did but oh by the way I'm not guilty?'

I'm starting to understand your agenda now. Your single-issue crusade seems to be more about points scoring against what you perceive to be hang-wringers than justice.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't think there was such an outcry for Hughes, King or the Plymouth player who's name escapes me.

there was outcry over King and McCormack, but they showed remorse, regret for their actions, kept their head down and go on with the process of redeeming themselves (not in everyones eyes of course). Evans refuses to begin this process. if he wants to profess his innocence still, then until he completes his (second) appeal, he should get right off the radar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
there was outcry over King and McCormack, but they showed remorse, regret for their actions, kept their head down and go on with the process of redeeming themselves (not in everyones eyes of course). Evans refuses to begin this process. if he wants to profess his innocence still, then until he completes his (second) appeal, he should get right off the radar.

True.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I'm starting to understand your agenda now. Your single-issue crusade seems to be more about points scoring against what you perceive to be hang-wringers than justice.

You really are incredibly patronising aren't you. I'm so glad you now understand my 'agenda' its of huge comfort to me. Incidently did you post on here when SU signed Marlon King? If not why not?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You really are incredibly patronising aren't you. I'm so glad you now understand my 'agenda' its of huge comfort to me. Incidently did you post on here when SU signed Marlon King? If not why not?

What patronising about suggesting you have an ulterior motive? Nothing.

As for Marlon King I had no idea he played for SU until very recently. I couldn't tell you a single player in their current team let alone someone who played only 8 games a few years back. Totally off my radar, that's why.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes Marlon King showed incredible remorse for his actions and really kept his head down:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27423636

Which is precisely why the FA needs a coherant, consistent, enforcable and just policy on player behaviour.

BUT King getting away with being a scumbag in the past is no reason for Ched Evans to get away with it now. Most people would welcome the outcry over Evans as a sign of progress rather than using inconsistencies of the past to defend the rights of a convicted rapist.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Paul Heaton eh? didn't have a problem with SU signing Marlon King but he does with CE? Why is this?

Yeah, being upset about women getting raped is just political correctness gone mad, eh?

Rape Culture and feminism are such hot button topics at the moment. Things are issues now that weren't in the past, even just a year ago. That doesn't mean it's wrong to be upset now, or that a greater social consciousness is some how undermined because it wasn't this developed last year. It's called personal growth.

Funny how it took him a few days after SU announced CE was going to be training with them before he resigned his patronage, you would of thought if he felt that strongly about it his resignation would've happened on the same day as the announcement. Maybe the resignation came after 'talks with his record company' who pointed out the detrimental effects it might have on his record sales being associated with SU.

Or maybe he just took his time to take into consideration all the arguments, maybe he wanted to read Ched Evans' website and determine if he felt there had been a miscarriage of justice before acting, maybe his love for the club made it a more difficult decision - if Brighton signed someone to whom you had a moral/ethical opposition to being part of the club would it be easy for you to walk away from the team you've loved so long and have such a connection with? To take your support away from the other players who had nothing to do with it? If you worked for Albion in the Community and had to weigh up all the good that you did for the charity arm of the club, with your position on the new signing.

The hypocricy of the whole thing is amazing, Charlie Webster the SU patron and 'womens rights' campaigner who resigned over this, excitedly tweeted about seeing Mike Tyson in a hotel lobby 'chickened out of asking for a photo.' Yes the convicted rapist Mike Tyson.

A legitimate point, but for fullness she has had this to say about it, too

I have apologised and find it very sad that's taken away from what I said this morning.

'I did not think about that tweet at the time and I'm not proud of that tweet but the response has been another example of berating someone for speaking out against rape.

'But I am not thinking about Mike Tyson. I am thinking about Ched Evans. The reason people don't stand up to rape is because they get abused on Twitter for it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-sheffield-united-sign-disgraced-striker.html

Well, that would depend. If he held his hands up, admitted he did it, apologised for it, had to live with the repercussions, had to be reminded of the lives he took every time he saw another child, if he kept his head down, dropped several divisions and earned his way back up the league, he probably would be.

If he killed them because he wanted to take care of his own base "needs" treating the kids as if they were not worth viewing as human beings, continued to deny that he did anything, set up a website trying to show the world that he is innocent and those kids jumped out in front of him in a suicide attempt, stayed silent as his friends, family and supporters abuse the family of the kids on twitter, threaten to run down anyone who disagreed with the club's decision to bring him back, while expecting to walk right back into the same job as if he has just been out injured for a couple of years, a if nothing had happened, I think there would be quite the outcry.

Lying to the porter to sneak into the room, leaving a drunk woman he had just had sex with to sleep in her own urine, then sneaking out. Not stopping his supporters harassing and tormenting the woman, not speaking out against the people who have threatened Charlie Webster and Jessica Ennis-Hill in his name. Putting himself in a situation that has brought so much trouble for Sheffield United and their fans and sponsors.

Aug 23, 2011
McCormack. Agree, there's almost a 'Diana' effect around Evans that wasn't prevalent around the others you mention. And that's wrong.

Well this has been covered in this thread before but there was outcry with the others it's just as media has moved on its more obvious and easier for people to get involved. I recall king and Hughes not being wanted by a lot of people. Also McCormack and Hughes although made grevious errors with catastrophic outcomes they didn't have intent

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
What patronising about suggesting you have an ulterior motive? Nothing.

As for Marlon King I had no idea he played for SU until very recently. I couldn't tell you a single player in their current team let alone someone who played only 8 games a few years back. Totally off my radar, that's why.

Yes patronising. I'm just expressing my opinion, an opinion that differs to yours it seems so I get told I have an 'agenda.'

Was Sept 2013 that MK signed for SU hardly a 'few years back.' Where were the 'he doesn't deserve another chance' brigade back then? How come Paul Heaton didn't resign his patronage back then?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well this has been covered in this thread before but there was outcry with the others it's just as media has moved on its more obvious and easier for people to get involved. I recall king and Hughes not being wanted by a lot of people. Also McCormack and Hughes although made grevious errors with catastrophic outcomes they didn't have intent

Your last sentence hits the nail on the head (one of them, anyway). Fundamentally different circumstances.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes patronising. I'm just expressing my opinion, an opinion that differs to yours it seems so I get told I have an 'agenda.'

Was Sept 2013 that MK signed for SU hardly a 'few years back.' Where were the 'he doesn't deserve another chance' brigade back then? How come Paul Heaton didn't resign his patronage back then?

I really don't get the purpose of your argument. There are differences between King and Evans cases but fundamentally I'm in agreement with you; King's a scumbag and he's very lucky to have been allowed to resume his career.

But that doesn't mean it's wrong to draw a line in the sand over Evans. It's no defense.

As I've said already the FA would do well to take a look at how the NFL deals with these matters. A consistent policy would help stop future controversies IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here