Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Military Aircraft

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting, hadn't heard about that either. The first of the V bombers, saw the other 2, the Victor and Vulcan flying but the Valiant way before my time.

The first prototype according to wiki flew in 1951, just 6 years after WW2, the era of Wellingtons/Lancasters (I realise B29’s too)!! Post war technology advanced at an incredible rate. A bit of a space age looker for a bomber imho.

E1C31D4B-7E54-4644-B2A0-D926A24EE1EA.png

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I wasn't aware of this either, thanks for sharing!

The Valiant only had a fairly short service life after cracks were found in the wing spars of them. There's now only one intact one left anywhere in the world, in the RAF Museum at Cosford.

As a side note, the Valiant was the only V-Bomber to do (only in tests, thankfully), what they were originally designed to do - drop a live nuclear weapon. The one that did it, XD 818, is the one preserved at Cosford.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It really did - only 11 years seperated the first flight of an Avro Lancaster from the first flight of an Avro Vulcan.

You should also add the TSR2 into the conversation although it was cancelled before it could get into service. It was light years ahead of the game.
hush_tsr-2001.jpg

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Lovely to see these photos. In the 80's as a history-obsessed teen I did a bit of voluntary work at a site that had some old Vickers-Armstrong and BAC documents. As part of sorting things out saw some blueprints and concept art from the 1950s and 60s of aircraft that were never built but looked amazing - early Concorde type passenger aircraft, some spacecraft concepts, some military jet concepts. All incredible.

Met some fascinating people too, including working for a few days with Norman Boorer who was described to me as an aviation artist, and his paintings are fantastic, but I only discovered after his death he had been one of Barnes Wallis's team of 3 designing the bouncing bomb too. I remember him as a very humble man, generous with his time. Odd to think that was nearly 40 years ago.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have spent my break being buzzed by a Spitfire. (Goodwood).

Which is nice.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
IMG-20220611-WA0035.jpg
I spent my Saturday afternoon flying in the back of this bad boy, I apologise for the noise over Peacehaven at around 15:45-ish as we did a victory roll over Wunt be Druv heights! A wonderful birthday gift from Mrs. Wunt be Druv for a "significant" birthday

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
View attachment 148871
I spent my Saturday afternoon flying in the back of this bad boy, I apologise for the noise over Peacehaven at around 15:45-ish as we did a victory roll over Wunt be Druv heights! A wonderful birthday gift from Mrs. Wunt be Druv for a "significant" birthday

The fact that you waited until I wasn't in Peacehaven to witness this is incredibly selfish. I suggest you do it again next week so I can see and hear it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here