Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady Signs for an Undisclosed Fee (Updated)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Prolific? No. Was Ulloa? No.
Well his ratio was 1 in 2 which is prolific
:D

but he missed a lot of games didn't he? Maybe it just feels like it. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather he stayed, but it's not the end of the world
I think it just felt like it, because with Buckley, Crofts, CMS etc injured, we weren't scoring enough goals, and Ulloa often struggled without support. And when Ulloa was looking good he then broke his foot, and that took a bit of time to get over. But he's an excellent striker IMO, and the only saving grace is that we seem to have got a fair price for him.

Let's hope the club are successful finding a replacement.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Similar to Hughes, this looks like a "moneyball" signing. Striker who had a good year in a poor poor team and has experience of the league. Low fee, low wages I'd imagine.

It'll look a masterstroke if it comes off, if it doesn't we probably haven't lost a great amount.

I would be massively suprised if this is intended to be the replacement for Ulloa.

THIS, 100%

You'd have to be REALLY simple to assume that this is the intended replacement for Ulloa, just because of the timing. Time will tell of course, so how about waiting until the end of the transfer window before passing judgement?
If it turns out that someone like O'Grady is the only striker signed, that's the time to get all doom and gloom but until then...

albionite

May 20, 2009
This thread is absolutely embarrassing. Amazing what a few years at this level does to the mentality of some.

Oh well, I have an open mind I've only heard good about him from Barnsley fans and his record last season was decent for a relegated side.

Not sure it's embarrassing, we have been spoilt the last couple of years and the chairman says he wants a top 6 finish.

Maybe this does give us over the top expectations, so rightly or wrongly we expect the players brought in to achieve this. Is O'Grady the type of player that will do this?

Iv'e no idea but his career stats don't fill me with hope. I am guessing he has come to replace Barnes and the club has their eye on another player to replace Ulloa.

Hoping he proves me wrong and that he is a steal. Would love for this thread to be bounced later in season after he has scored a hatful of goals.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
THIS, 100%

You'd have to be REALLY simple to assume that this is the intended replacement for Ulloa, just because of the timing. Time will tell of course, so how about waiting until the end of the transfer window before passing judgement?
If it turns out that someone like O'Grady is the only striker signed, that's the time to get all doom and gloom but until then...

So we sign a player who has a pretty good record in this league and he is a disappointment for a lot of posters. I bet if it was a Spanish 2nd div striker with a similar record they would be creaming their pants! This guy seems to be condemned to be a failure before he even signs!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Upson > Hughes
Bridcutt > Toko
Ulloa > COG

Are we going backwards?

What a delightfully pointless and meaningless game, I want to play!

Wayne Rooney > Denis Irwin
Fred > Usain Bolt
Pip from Great Expectations > Snarf from Thundercats

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Upson > Hughes
Bridcutt > Toko
Ulloa > COG

Are we going backwards?

Depends how you look at it:

El-Abd > Hughes
Spanish Dave > Toko
Hoskins > O'Grady

Then no.

albionite

May 20, 2009
So we sign a player who has a pretty good record in this league and he is a disappointment for a lot of posters. I bet if it was a Spanish 2nd div striker with a similar record they would be creaming their pants! This guy seems to be condemned to be a failure before he even signs!

One good season feeding on scraps from a hoofing team does not make a good record. But i will trust our scouts to know what they are doing and he is just what we are looking for.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Upson > Hughes
Bridcutt > Toko
Ulloa > COG

Are we going backwards?

Unless you spent all last season commuting between our games and those in Zurich, Barnsley and West London you can't possibly know that. They haven't played a competitive game for us between them.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Upson > Hughes
Bridcutt > Toko Are we going backwards?

The jury's out on both of these isn't it. Hughes is younger than Upson and has more top flight experience, Toko's yet to play a game in this country

COG won't be the replacement for Ulloa.

We should be giving this at least until the start of the season but truthfully until 1 September.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Why is this thread embarrassing? People pay good money for a season ticket and i can safely bet a vast majority of our 21k season ticket holders wouldn't have heard of him. He isn't exactly a known name is he?

And you'd heard of Ulloa before he signed?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Not sure if you're aiming that comment specifically at me - I am not condemning O'Grady for a second.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
And you'd heard of Ulloa before he signed?

No i haven't but a price tag of 2 million suggests he was pretty good though. It showed ambition. Obviously it's not all about money as the capture of Bridcutt shows there are gems out there for peanuts.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't know. Not him.

Demba Ba has just gone to Turkey for 4.7m - sure wages were high, but come on.
Luciano Becchio?
Sam Baldock from Bristol City - top scorer in League 1.

I notice that Bournemouth quietly sign Callum Wilson from Coventry in July. That was a smart signing.

Who else? Daniel Sturridge? Wayne Rooney?

Basically, I want something that is going to bloody well excite me.

Maybe it's just me, but given that we started last season with Barnes, Ulloa, CMS and Hoskins, and now we have just CMS, I think it is fairly safe to assume that we will be getting another striker in.

Personally I would find it hilarious if a 'big name' came in, and O'Grady (assuming he signs) ends up scoring more goals.

I also find it hilarious how hundreds of people on an internet forum seem to know what is best for the club, more than the people that are actually running it. Time for a bit of an NSC break, I think - or just avoidance of these type of threads while I wait for official confirmations.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No i haven't but a price tag of 2 million suggests he was pretty good though. It showed ambition. Obviously it's not all about money as the capture of Bridcutt shows there are gems out there for peanuts.

Bebe cost £7.4 million.

There are countless other examples.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Bebe cost £7.4 million.

There are countless other examples.

When a club like Brighton spends over a million on a player you tend to get excited regardless if you know the player or not. This pretty much applied to Leo. It's not often we splash big is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here