Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward deal NOT done (yet?)

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Seems Wolves are having problems offloading quite a few high earners. Got to come a point where Jackett is going to have to swallow his pride and put them back in the squad or lower the price to an attractive level, or as a last resort send them out on loan again?

Wolves are the one with the expensive problem at the moment though so not really in the driving seat imo.

They'll lower the price on the last day of the window. Can't blame Wolves for trying to maximise the fee if a club if sensible enough to want to put their first choice team together before the season starts rather than wait until the end of August to save a few quid

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Is this actually anything to do with what Wolves are asking? I'd be surprised that they are even asking for a fee to offload a player that they don't want, who is costing them £650k a year.

Surely the stopper is Ward not wanting to take a 40-50% pay cut.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Is this actually anything to do with what Wolves are asking? I'd be surprised that they are even asking for a fee to offload a player that they don't want, who is costing them £650k a year.

Surely the stopper is Ward not wanting to take a 40-50% pay cut.

All the reports in the press imply that Ward was free to agree personal terms with us, but the sticking point is that Wolves want a fee.

Ireland independent: Ward is in limbo as Brighton and Wolves haggle over a transfer fee
Irish Post: Ward’s future also remains uncertain as Brighton and Wolves have not reached an agreed transfer fee.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Can we get on with signing Ward please? All this cat and mouse crap is very tedious.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can we get on with signing Ward please? All this cat and mouse crap is very tedious.

TB is saving 13k a week by stringing this out, would you be quite so keen if it was your money? Assuming we get him within a week or so of kick off that is quite a saving. If we aren't that keen then no doubt we have somebody else lined up?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
TB is saving 13k a week by stringing this out, would you be quite so keen if it was your money? Assuming we get him within a week or so of kick off that is quite a saving. If we aren't that keen then no doubt we have somebody else lined up?

Im sure Tony Bloom would have rathered started paying his wages 4 weeks ago and given him the full pre season with Hyppia.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

I would be surprised if we had anyone else lined up. I just hope that our stalling tactics don't misfire. We need Ward and I've no doubt that Wolves know that.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
A Midlands supporting mate said the team Wolves played at Oxford was a mixture of players on the fringes of the first team and youngsters so not to read too much into Wards participation, althought they also played a game at AFC Headford B] where the 'bomb squad' as he put it of those they are looking to sell played inc Johnson, Doyle, O'Hara etc.

Telford 🙈

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would be surprised if we had anyone else lined up. I just hope that our stalling tactics don't misfire. We need Ward and I've no doubt that Wolves know that.

I would be massively shocked if we didn't have a plan B lined up. I suspect we would have about 3-4 other LBs we would move onto if the Ward deal fell through.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I would be massively shocked if we didn't have a plan B lined up. I suspect we would have about 3-4 other LBs we would move onto if the Ward deal fell through.

I hope you're right. Time will tell I guess.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We don't NEED Ward, we need another left back, and of course we'll be looking at other options too, there's definitely no guarantee Ward will join us. If Wolves aren't playing him (and they've said they won't be), then they do NEED to offload him.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
All the reports in the press imply that Ward was free to agree personal terms with us, but the sticking point is that Wolves want a fee.

Ireland independent: Ward is in limbo as Brighton and Wolves haggle over a transfer fee
Irish Post: Ward’s future also remains uncertain as Brighton and Wolves have not reached an agreed transfer fee.

The Argus is suggesting today that it is the wage issue:-

Wolves want around £100,000 for Ward but the main stumbling block has been his £13,000-a-week wages. The Seagulls paid £10,000-a-week in the loan deal

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton

Paul Konchesky is another option according to [MENTION=13162]hailshamseagull[/MENTION] 's thread.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We should stick an ultimatum on him. Then move on. He's ok, but there are equal and better full backs out there.

Alternatively, just look around for a second LB if this falls through, safe in the knowledge that unless Wolves are happy to pay £1m a year in wages for no good reason, they'll have to do the deal on our terms. And with every passing day, the less likely we are to negotiate.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Very much this. He was good last season, but we can get better. Wayne Bridge was a lot better the season before.

We were lucky to get Bridge - how many other top 4 team left backs will be willing to drop down to play for little old Brighton? Not many. Time to be realistic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here