Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most important debut album in history

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
A vote here for Kraftwerk - essentially kick started a brand new genre in the 70's, birthing the electronic greats from Einsturzende Neubauten and Mode through to todays Disclosure and The XX.

We've had enough votes for your Velvets and Pistols. :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My favourite musician but as I am so biased I thought it best not to suggest his first album on this thread. :wink:

This is the point where we cross over musically, but I'd add that this isn't the most important debut in history. On the other hand, his second album -- if I've got this right -- may well just be the best in history.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. On the other hand, his second album -- if I've got this right -- may well just be the best in history.

I remember being stunned when I first heard After The Goldrush. Sadly I don't ever get the same buzz when I hear great new albums these days. Nothing to do with the music not being as good, more the discovery of something so different and nearly everything shows it's influence these days no matter how good it is, and it's always something that I can relate to an earlier band /artist.

Maybe Bob Marley was the last to have this WOW effect on me.

I guess everyone has the same sensation when hearing something new to them though hence the number of different views on what is the greatest.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I remember being stunned when I first heard After The Goldrush. Sadly I don't ever get the same buzz when I hear great new albums these days. Nothing to do with the music not being as good, more the discovery of something so different and nearly everything shows it's influence these days no matter how good it is, and it's always something that I can relate to an earlier style.

I've obviously got it wrong: the album I was referring to is Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've obviously got it wrong: the album I was referring to is Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.

Nope you're right it was his second album although with Crazy Horse?

Just in case you haven't heard this live version of the song, certainly worth a listen

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A vote here for Kraftwerk - essentially kick started a brand new genre in the 70's, birthing the electronic greats from Einsturzende Neubauten and Mode through to todays Disclosure and The XX

Debut album is no classic though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well that's not surprising, I'll go slower for you.

One of the biggest influences on Stuart Murdoch - Morrisey

Now rest a bit before we do the next bit.....

One of the biggest influences on Morrisey - Leonard Cohen.

Now another rest before trying to see how different artists are influenced by those who precede them.

And finally we can go back to the idea of IMPORTANT as in the thread title, to obviously mean, ground breaking or even genre creating or just plain influential.

I'm still going with The Velvets although I can see most of the other arguments except Belle And Sebastien ffs.

That's a pretty poor argument really. What you are suggesting is that music evolved over time in a Darwinian way in that each successive generation improves ever so slightly on the previous generation as each generation improves upon the influence of the generation before. It's a lot like saying " I like Elephants, but prefer Brontosaurus for their originality "

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well that's not surprising, I'll go slower for you.

One of the biggest influences on Stuart Murdoch - Morrisey

Now rest a bit before we do the next bit.....

One of the biggest influences on Morrisey - Leonard Cohen.

Now another rest before trying to see how different artists are influenced by those who precede them.

And finally we can go back to the idea of IMPORTANT as in the thread title, to obviously mean, ground breaking or even genre creating or just plain influential.

I'm still going with The Velvets although I can see most of the other arguments except Belle And Sebastien ffs.

How odd, yesterday you could not spell Belle and Sebastian and apparently knew nothing about them, now suddenly, you know the main songwriter's name and his musical influences ?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
having gone with The Velvet Underground

I would say from a British perspective Led Zep and Tubular Bells were both pretty important

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That's a pretty poor argument really. What you are suggesting is that music evolved over time in a Darwinian way in that each successive generation improves ever so slightly on the previous generation as each generation improves upon the influence of the generation before. It's a lot like saying " I like Elephants, but prefer Brontosaurus for their originality "

No I'm saying that most musicians are influenced by someone who came before.
I've not heard 'The Elephants'...... Any good ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I know all about Belle and Sebastien. We have never had a discussion on music without you telling us all about them. Out of respect I gave them a try ages ago.
I'll find you the interview about them I read.... Guardian I think.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Not read all the thread so sorry for a few repeats but my shortlist is:

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

VU - VU featuring Nico

Eminen - Marshall Mathers album

Portishead - Dummy

And of course, Ver pistols......

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I remember being stunned when I first heard After The Goldrush. Sadly I don't ever get the same buzz when I hear great new albums these days. Nothing to do with the music not being as good, more the discovery of something so different and nearly everything shows it's influence these days no matter how good it is, and it's always something that I can relate to an earlier band /artist.

I guess everyone has the same sensation when hearing something new to them though hence the number of different views on what is the greatest.

After the Goldrush is the greatest THIRD album of all time surely? Time for a new thread??!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

The lead singer used to wear a Smiths tee shirt on stage.

Anyway the point of the thread is which debut album was 'important' .

Belle and Sebastian's debut album might be good for you, but it is not important concerning influence, change or just innovation within the story of the history of popular music.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've just been reading up on Buddy Holly's first and last album released whilst he was alive - Chirping Crickets - and I would have to say this must have a serious shout in this thread. I haven't read all the posts so sorry if it's already been mentioned.

1. Oh Boy 2:07
2 Not Fade Away 2:21
3 You've Got Love 2:06
4 Maybe Baby 2:01
5 It's Too Late 2:22
6 Tell Me How 1:59
7 That'll Be The Day 2:15
8 I'm Looking For Someone To Love 1:56
9 An Empty Cup (And A Broken Date) 2:12
10 Send Me Some Lovin' 2:33
11 Last Night 1:53
12 Rock Me My Baby

If you read what Lennon and Mcartney, Bob Dylan and Jagger and Richards have said about him then you'd have to give him a shout. Only had 18 months..... Quite incredible that. Wonder what he could have been ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here