Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy St George's Day

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Watching a Hillsborough documentary......... makes you proud to be English.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If that is what you think being English means or what all English people are like you have a very narrow mind.

And if you take everything that you read on here seriously then your mind is even narrower.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I shall be meeting a friend in a sunny bier garten later but I will be keeping my powder dry for EU day in May.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
working as usual as we don't have a day off for our patron saint unlike most other countries ... :(

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Every St George's day someone makes the observation that St George wasn't English - like it's something no-one except them knew about and it's a bad thing. The same people that like to moan about the little Englanders who hate foreigners. The ones that like to refer to our Royal family as German using their historic nationality as an insult.

Why do you lot do that? Do you get as excited when St Patrick's Day comes along, ready to point out to every plastic Paddy that their patron saint is English? I'm betting not.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
St Georges Day, celebrating a Roman soldier born in Palestine, not for me thanks.
I'd rather align myself with the working classes around the world, who I have a lot more in common with economically than people with whom I share a birthplace and little else.

St Geroge was actually a really important historical figure and celebrated everywhere from Brazil to Georgia. Though it isn't very useful to say these terms as borders were different, he was Turk who fought for the Roman Empire and when the Romans turned against the Christians and started exterminating them, George refused and fought back eventually getting killed and turned into a martyr somewhere in Palestine on April 23rd or so.

His English connection was that when the first Crusades started, the English soldiers who came back said that they were able to take a particularly hard and well defended city called Antioch because St George appeared to them as a ghost and led the charge, inspiring them to victory.

Along with his dragon slaying stories that were around from centuries earlier, his legend grew in England to the point where the Kings thought that Saint George was a man sent by God to protect the English. Eventually the troops had to wear a "mark of St George" somewhere on their body as a sign to him that they were English and needed his protection when fighting the later Crusades. This "sign of St George" was a red cross representing his martyrdom for Christianity, the cross for Christ and blood red for his blood spilled in defence of it. This sign eventually became so well known on our soldiers that it has now become our national flag. Flying the national flag or wearing the colours is a plea for protection from St George to support you when times are tough and show thanks when times are not, at least if you believe in that stuff.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Such a derogatory comment and endemic of today's society

If that is what you think being English means or what all English people are like you have a very narrow mind.

I think you might be taking the posts in this thread a tad too seriously !

As for me, today I won't be doing anything special. As I don't believe in God it would seem slightly hypocritical to believe in saints.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
St Georges Day, celebrating a Roman soldier born in Palestine, not for me thanks.
I'd rather align myself with the working classes around the world, who I have a lot more in common with economically than people with whom I share a birthplace and little else.

I've got some bad news for you, matey. Economically, you've got more in common with David Cameron than you have with the working classes around the world - and that's a fact.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well its' better than 'Happy Bloody Paddys' Day' isn't it!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I shall be meeting a friend in a sunny bier garten later but I will be keeping my powder dry for EU day in May.

I didn't even know about EU day. I will be getting one of these to put in my window on May 9th

eu-flag.jpg

Actually, I won't, as I'll be in the Lake District, but in future...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've got some bad news for you, matey. Economically, you've got more in common with David Cameron than you have with the working classes around the world - and that's a fact.

Really ? A millionaire from the landed gentry who make money by having people work for less than the product of thier labour and me, someone who has to work to pay the mortgage, selling my labour for less than my employer makes from it. Yeah, Me and Dave, two peas in a pod.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Really ? A millionaire from the landed gentry who make money by having people work for less than the product of thier labour and me, someone who has to work to pay the mortgage, selling my labour for less than my employer makes from it. Yeah, Me and Dave, two peas in a pod.

Yup. Your relative luxury/wealth/standard of living is a lot nearer to David Cameron than it is to the average 'working-class' worker globally. I dare say you feel more of an affinity with the latter but economically you definitely have more in common with David Cameron than you do with the 2 and a half billion on less than $2 a day.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I always feel making a fuss about patron saints is the sort of thing nations insecure about their national status go in for.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The irony for me is that St George wasn't English and is also patron saint of a number of other countries. I'm not personally bothered by that, but it may not appeal to some.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yup. Your relative luxury/wealth/standard of living is a lot nearer to David Cameron than it is to the average 'working-class' worker globally. I dare say you feel more of an affinity with the latter but economically you definitely have more in common with David Cameron than you do with the 2 and a half billion on less than $2 a day.

I agree I have little in common with those on such low wages. The point I was making was that I have more in common with telecoms workers and the like around the world than I do with the toff over the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here