Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading v M'Boro Thread

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Oh you mean the fact Derby Co did the double over us, and have lost to Wigan at home means we have nothing to fear from the two strongest teams in the play offs then. I am not being defeatist just a realist, it would be nice to sneak it through the play offs, but in all reality I want to go up better prepared and go up by playing good attacking football we can be proud of and with some tweeting here and there we could do that next season. We don't deserve to go up just like we didn't last year or against Notts County all those years ago.

Rubbish - the die hards will jump at a crack at the Premier League at any time. Palace were conceding bucket loads of goals last season and yet defensively with much the same players are now flying in the big league. I think we're going to do a Palace by stumbling into the playoffs and then sealing the deal at Wembley.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Reading were always going to win tonight; Middlesbrough had nothing to play for and a long long journey south.

Doncaster away will be a much tougher match, and I think that Burnley will want to finish their successful season on a high as well.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Rubbish - the die hards will jump at a crack at the Premier League at any time. Palace were conceding bucket loads of goals last season and yet defensively with much the same players are now flying in the big league. I think we're going to do a Palace by stumbling into the playoffs and then sealing the deal at Wembley.

Where did I say I would not like us to get the Premier League ? I would prefer a league stomping team, rather than sneak into the play offs, it's just an opinion that we won't make it and time will tell who is right... I hope you prove me wrong.

But I doubt it though.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
[MENTION=12020]Keeping The Dream Alive.[/MENTION]

Ah now we're getting into the nitty gritty. I believe I do have perspective. I'm chuffed that Brighton, little old Brighton, are top half Championship. Honestly it's brilliant. I've been going long enough to appreciate that. Yes we've had issues and we're still 7th - on the face of it that's great. But now look a little deeper. We're not scoring. We're not putting enough balls into the box. We're not using Ulloa properly. This comes down to the way we build up. I think it lacks purpose. Ulloa hasn't been as good this year because, previously the ball was worked into a position where centre backs were asked to make a decision. The ball used to go between the two CB's. Now the ball is played directly into Ulloa (often 100mph at his shins) or high - he immediately has two CBs on him and he's going to have to get very lucky to win that battle. Ulloa hasn't got bad overnight, but he's not being used to his full potential. That's my issue here. Not our league standing, not taking chances against lesser teams (it happens and it's frustrating) it's the football. It's the poor organisation, the rubbish set pieces. In football terms we're going backwards.

Just because you don't rate how the manager is organising the team doesn't mean you don't appreciate the challenges OG has faced. I do, I appreciate OG has had difficulties. I'm chuffed with the way he handles the press and doesn't moan about these things publicly. But I don't like the football, the tactics or the team selection. That's the way I see it and I stand by it.

I presume I've stunned you all into silence! :lolol:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Then surely we need to come up with some tactics to overcome this? Other teams have managed it against the same opposition. It just seems that if the keep-ball, slow build up doesn't work, there isn't anything else.

There is. After we conceeded the goal against Blackpool we spent most of the second half hoofing the ball upfield. That didn't work too well and as a spectacle it was dire.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Reading were always going to win tonight; Middlesbrough had nothing to play for and a long long journey south.

Doncaster away will be a much tougher match, and I think that Burnley will want to finish their successful season on a high as well.

I'm not so sure about the Burnley one...but you would have think that the donny one will be hard... although the best i feel we can hope for is a draw

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Where did I say I would not like us to get the Premier League ? I would prefer a league stomping team, rather than sneak into the play offs, it's just an opinion that we won't make it and time will tell who is right... I hope you prove me wrong.

But I doubt it though.

You'd rather wait to get to the Premier League until the team is good enough to hold its own but most of us would take any chance we get and worry about strengthening when we get there.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm not so sure about the Burnley one...but you would have think that the donny one will be hard... although the best i feel we can hope for is a draw

Maybe wishful thinking with Burnley; although they are a much better side than Middlesbrough.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You'd rather wait to get to the Premier League until the team is good enough to hold its own but most of us would take any chance we get and worry about strengthening when we get there.

You still don't get it really do you, we may sneak into the play offs..... But come on we don't deserve to do we.... We like many teams in this division are at best average, I am not a fan of the play offs they are a money making scam, Derby deserve to go up in all fairness.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It really does amaze me how some posters can be so blind to the obvious.

This season irrelevant of our current position or where we end up has been so boring.

I don't want to hear the head coach on the radio telling me, who's just witnessed yet another tedious game, that we done enough to win but because of the lack of Harveys or special pies we yet again failed.

Football exists as a profession to entertain, our team in the main doesn't. We are boring.

I hope amongst hope before every game, win lose or draw, that I'm going to be excited, infused, exhilarated, nervous or whatever. Within minutes of the game starting it's the same sinking feeling. It's so bloody tedious.

I shouldn't need the coach to be telling me how or why we should be doing this, that or the other, I should be witnessing it for myself.

There's no passion, no drive, no purpose, no instruction, nothing. How we find ourselves in the position we're in, in the league only tells me how inconsistent everyone is not how good they or we all are.

Yes we've had injuries but that's no excuse for the Blackpool game. Where was the coach , the assistant coach, the captain berating the players for not upping the tempo? Allowing a disjointed team such as Blackpool the time, the space to dictate the speed of the game and that's from the off. Shocking.

Some posters have mentioned desire, commitment, drive. We appear to be lacking that in abundance from the coaching staff through to the players. I question the true desire of some of team. Upson will play through pain not sure about many others. We're light weights.

There's been a desire for the English game to adjust, to become more skilful, more technical but but we shouldn't lose what makes the leagues strong, the reason we have so many decent club sides with good followings in the country. It's not going back to kick and rush but the reason English League football is watched the World over is because it's exciting. Something we are not.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why are they twats? Need to look closer to home for that.

How?

Our team failed to beat the two teams who have managed about two wins between them in 30 games.

Haha I literally cannot be any clearer. Unbelievable - think you're both trying to look for something that isn't there. Christ on a bike!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Again, some people cannot handle 'losing' and expect too much. Classic NSC - such a change from 2 games ago from some. Chill out ffs - we ve done really well again in a tough league and have a shot at the playoffs with 2 games to go again.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Again, some people cannot handle 'losing' and expect too much. Classic NSC - such a change from 2 games ago from some. Chill out ffs - we be done really well again in a tough league and have a shot at the playoffs with 2 games to go again.

I tell you what. I'll send you some paint and a brush. One day when it's raining go outside and paint the wall. After you've watched it for a long time I'll tell that the reason it hasn't dried is though the sun did have loads of chances there wasn't enough breaks in the cloud.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
It's very simple - we aim for 6 points and hope for the best. It's out of our hands so let's just relax and give Yeovil the tonking of their lives.

Reading, schmeading. Who cares. Take care of our own games and have some fun while we're doing it. Maths, schmaths.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I tell you what. I'll send you some paint and a brush. One day when it's raining go outside and paint the wall. After you've watched it for a long time I'll tell that the reason it hasn't dried is though the sun did have loads of chances there wasn't enough breaks in the cloud.

Don't ATTEMPT to patronise me. I made a throw away comment about boro being twats for not doing us a favour & u and another poster choose to take it for something it isn't and have a pop at the Albion. Think you need to channel your frustrations somewhere else.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
You'll see this on message boards across the land: I can forgive our players a certain lack of skill. But lack of effort is absolutely unacceptable. Too many of our players simply fail to turn up when it really matters.

Watching our stumbling and gutless performance against Blackpool seemed horribly reminiscent of that inexplicably feeble display down here last May, against Palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here