Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All things about Gus Poyet - former Brighton and Hove Albion Manager

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I did see this on their forum:

"Apparently he applied for the Everton job on the eve of the 2nd leg of their play-off with Palace and when the chairman found out, that was the final straw."

Any truth?

Something happened between the two legs, as Gus was just a disinterested spectator in the 2nd leg imo

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm surprised that Sam Wallace would have written this: The story of how it finished for Poyet at Brighton, with the gross misconduct charge against him, and that dramatic sacking while he was live on BBC television has been well chronicled. It came down to the club finding a way to get rid of their manager over an innocuous email he sent to staff.

Why would a club try to "find a way" to sack their manager, and then focus on something "innocuous" for their reason to do it?

It strikes me that Gus has - or had - a lot of friends in the media and that the Albion came out of this business very badly over the summer and autumn. The more he implodes at Sunderland the more vindicated we look as a club for firing him as we did, and the higher Tony Bloom's stock will rise.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

"Apparently he applied for the Everton job on the eve of the 2nd leg of their play-off with Palace and when the chairman found out, that was the final straw."

Any truth?

Hadn't heard that, but would fit in with his other shenanigans.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Any truth?

Plausible in the timeline.

May 9, 2013 - David Moyes will succeed Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager.

Semi finals 10th & 13th May

Jun 5, 2013 - Everton name Wigan boss Roberto Martinez as their new manager.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm surprised that Sam Wallace would have written this: The story of how it finished for Poyet at Brighton, with the gross misconduct charge against him, and that dramatic sacking while he was live on BBC television has been well chronicled. It came down to the club finding a way to get rid of their manager over an innocuous email he sent to staff.

Why would a club try to "find a way" to sack their manager, and then focus on something "innocuous" for their reason to do it?

It strikes me that Gus has - or had - a lot of friends in the media and that the Albion came out of this business very badly over the summer and autumn. The more he implodes at Sunderland the more vindicated we look as a club for firing him as we did, and the higher Tony Bloom's stock will rise.

It's a fawning article written by a Gus favourite that's for sure. That's the trouble with journo's is they become a managers favourite so you get 'interviews' without a single hard question within them but the myth spreads about how or why manager A was sacked. I sympathise because any journo showing any sign of investigative work gets treated with suspicion and will get the square root of nothing in terms of 'exclusive interviews' There is though a great deal of crap written about sport. A prime example of this is Marcus Armytage writing in the telegraph about his mate buying his daughter a horsebox because his horse won a race. The article gives a new definition to the word 'banal'

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
From sky sports twitter

@SkySports_Keith: Gus Poyet refuses to commit his future to Sunderland, saying "we'll find out between now and the end of the season."

@SkySports_Keith: Poyet tells @SkySportsNews: "it won't be a surprise to anyone if something happens between now & end of the season." (Regarding his future)

So whilst his club are languishing in the relegation zone gus reverts to talking about his own future. As we discovered here the guy is spineless and only so much longer clubs will be employing this egomaniac

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From sky sports twitter

@SkySports_Keith: Gus Poyet refuses to commit his future to Sunderland, saying "we'll find out between now and the end of the season."

@SkySports_Keith: Poyet tells @SkySportsNews: "it won't be a surprise to anyone if something happens between now & end of the season." (Regarding his future)

So whilst his club are languishing in the relegation zone gus reverts to talking about his own future. As we discovered here the guy is spineless and only so much longer clubs will be employing this egomaniac

Pathetic doesn't even begin to cover it. Bloke's a complete fruitcake who is destined to play out this scenario season after season, either at lower and lower levels in England, or further and further afield. They say class is permanent. Ditto obviously lack of class.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
From sky sports twitter

Gus hasn't learned at all has he ???

I really expected him to take just a small lesson from the fallout over his 'ceiling comments', but no - same script.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Plausible in the timeline.

May 9, 2013 - David Moyes will succeed Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager.

Semi finals 10th & 13th May

Jun 5, 2013 - Everton name Wigan boss Roberto Martinez as their new manager.

If there is/was any truth in that then I bet EFC are breathing a collective sigh of relief. They definitely dodged a bullet there and have ended up with one of the best managers in English football.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This has all the hallmarks of Poyet laying the ground for an early escape under his terms. He quits before the season ends, blaming impossible working conditions, then (1) he technically doesn't have a relegation on his CV and (2) he gets to tell any prospective employers that it wasn't his fault Sunderland were so bad, as the club was clearly too rotten for even Pep Guardiola to have saved.

It's what I'm convinced would have happened at the Albion (well, not the relegation bit) had the club not nipped in first and binned him off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here