Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Railway Bell

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I've noticed over the years of frequenting various pubs that when a new landlord comes along they sometimes like to change a few things. Nothing wrong with that of course but on many occasions I have experienced they seem to be concerned about the thousands and thousands of pounds being rammed into the tills on a regular basis, so they go out of their way to minimise the flow of easy money. Nutbags

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The previous landlord left because he was told to "get rid of the hooligans".

If there were grounds to support this, in the form of regular scuffles in and around the station and pub, then nobody would argue,..... but this just hasnt been the case, even during the high profile games like Palace, Millwall and Leeds...... this smacks of police interference, probably prompted by some council official after seeing a few likely lads enjoying a pint outside pre match, thinking this fortnightly display gives the wrong impression to visitors getting off the trains..... now of course the Queens and Standard will get the same treatment, you watch.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
He also has banned shots I heard .....the blokes a knob..........!!!!!!!!!!

My understanding (from him) was that they are the conditions the Police imposed on him, he is a capitalist after all. As I understood it he was challenging the smoking restriction......................which is frankly outrageous.

He seems more aloof than Ross, however I don't think he is wanting to change the nature of the pub, he knew what it was when he took it over.

I think this is possibly a case of use it or lose it.................there is no where like the Bell in the station area when it is busy.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
The lady who runs the Standard is sound and will no doubt be happy to take up the business from the Bell. That said I know for a fact she has had pressure on her from our friendly local police 'service.' You would think football fans are a terrorist threat the way Sussex Police act...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Do they serve real ale in the Standard?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a day when pubs near grounds/stations are closed for match afternoon or evening. Police just don't want the hassle of doing what they are paid to do I suppose.

Only a photo I took of it when it was in the Argus a few weeks ago. At least, I assume this is the one you meant, [MENTION=10773]Freddie Goodwin[/MENTION]. Which one are you? :)

6y8uza2y.jpg

Recall you in another argus pic sitting on a wall outside hove station,southampton game i think????

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a day when pubs near grounds/stations are closed for match afternoon or evening. Police just don't want the hassle of doing what they are paid to do I suppose.

If all shops were made to close on Saturdays imagine how we could cut down on shoplifting.
That would free up even more police.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The short version was the area manager was being an arse to him.

Exactly. It boiled down to money. Nothing to do with hooligans or police.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here