Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's WORST PUB World Cup - nominations

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Craft Beer Co

Have to say, I've visited it a few times now, and while in no way would it ever make it onto this list, it IS a little bit too pretentious for it's own good, and the prices made me stagger more than the ale did!! Plus the staff are so achingly hipster that you half expect them to pull out a copy of Sugar Ape at any second.

Don't get me wrong, it's alright, and the beer IS fantastic and unusual, it's just the environment that kinda lets it down for me a bit. Would much prefer to go to the Welly in Shoreham or the Evening Star.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have to say, I've visited it a few times now, and while in no way would it ever make it onto this list, it IS a little bit too pretentious for it's own good, and the prices made me stagger more than the ale did!! Plus the staff are so achingly hipster that you half expect them to pull out a copy of Sugar Ape at any second.

Don't get me wrong, it's alright, and the beer IS fantastic and unusual, it's just the environment that kinda lets it down for me a bit. Would much prefer to go to the Welly in Shoreham or the Evening Star.

The one item in this I will defend is the prices. If you want small batch imported beer then you will have to pay accordingly. Dry-hopping alone reduces a breweries capacity by around 50%. Add some barrel ageing and a foreign county into the mix the price goes up again. That said if you stick to the UK breweries then you should be okay and some of the cask ales are very well priced. Quality can sometimes cost but I'd rather have a half of something nice and interesting than a pint of same old same old. I've also seen similarly priced beers in the Evening Star.

Personally I environment is nice and the staff super friendly and helpful.

Ulloa's Soul Patch

The Cyclone!
Mar 5, 2013
Just above the chin.
Currently working in "The BrightHelm" on West Street, I'd like too way in and not say it's that bad at all.
But I'd back up the nomination of "The Cliftonville Inn" on George Street.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The Cliftonville is essentially just a drop-in centre for functioning alcoholics, chock full of ruddy faced brain dead mumblers with personal hygiene problems and a sad acceptance of their pathetic pointless lives, it's barely a step up from being a street drinker.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The Spanish Lady takes the crown for me. So much potential but the place has got so depressingly grim even the pissheads of Saltdean have moved on...

It's closing down got a refurb. But at the moment it's sporting the largest at George's cross in history on a flagpole out the front. No one appears to have thought this through. If the wind gets up the pub roofs gonna end up in dieppe.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Honestly, you lot don't know you're born. Brighton probably has the best selection of pubs and bars in the UK. Try living in other cities, an abundance of Yates/Wetherspoons and a very small handful of okay local type boozers.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Basketmakers...

Overpriced crock of a hole.
Agreed. I'll add to that anywhere that sells 'craft' beer where it approaches (or apparently even exceeds) £5 a pint. Still, at least it keeps the snobby middle class twats out of the decent boozers.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Agreed. I'll add to that anywhere that sells 'craft' beer where it approaches (or apparently even exceeds) £5 a pint. Still, at least it keeps the snobby middle class twats out of the decent boozers.

Now who's being snobby?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
The Cliftonville is essentially just a drop-in centre for functioning alcoholics, chock full of ruddy faced brain dead mumblers with personal hygiene problems and a sad acceptance of their pathetic pointless lives, it's barely a step up from being a street drinker.

The Hollingbury. I thank you. Goodnight.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Trust me, try living in Leicester for a while and then go back to Brighton for the weekend. Every time I come home I spend the evening marveling at being able to find more than 3 pubs where I am not going to get my head kicked in. Brighton is amazing for pubs and drinking, it has just taken my exile to make me realise we are all spoilt for choice in Brighton and that the standard is just very high there.

Regarding my nomination, may I suggest the Pavilion Tavern (Pav Tav) from my student days. Haven't been there in years but it used to be a smoky, yeast filled hell hole with some of the worst toilets in the world. My other nomination would be Hectors House from the same time ago (10 years), horrendous shit hole.

Very much this. I live in Coventry and I could count the number of decent boozers in the city on Abu Hamza's fingers.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Hollingbury. I thank you. Goodnight.

I nominated it earlier. I had the misfortune to be in there the other day. Let's say I won't be in a mad rush to go back.

Oscar was called a foreign **** who'd done nothing in the game. The locals encouraged him to go home. They keenly advocated us playing 4-4-2.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I nominated it earlier. I had the misfortune to be in there the other day. Let's say I won't be in a mad rush to go back.

Oscar was called a foreign **** who'd done nothing in the game. The locals encouraged him to go home. They keenly advocated us playing 4-4-2.

When I was a drunkard I used to go there a lot. It's a good pub for raving dipsomaniacs.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
...although I must say that Adam Virgo showed me his Rolex in there one Sunday. He also told me he was on 10k a week at Celtic but hated Glasgow with a passion...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here