Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In the world of football, what makes you CRINGE?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Once at Withdean somebody shouted "YOU'RE SCREWING THIS CLUB WILKINS!!!"

I think I did a CRINGE, a :facepalm: and a :lolol: all at the same time.

Can we get a CRINGE smiley?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
That's just being facetious. You know exactly what he means and to deny it is just pedantic nonsense. It has huge cultural significance worldwide and we, the fans, invest huge amounts of time, money and emotion. Perhaps far more than we should but the consequence is that it is clearly far more than just a game.

I love football and yes I too can sometimes take it too seriously. But still, it's all a big laugh when you look back at it all. It shouldn't need to work in twine with things like religion and politics. Sadly it does, simply because some people think it's more than just a game.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
nsclogo.gif

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The only thing that made really cringe was our fans singing 'Wembley' after the 0-0 at Selhurst last May. It was asking for trouble.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Soccer AM humour.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Grown men throwing themselves on the ground, head back, heels up as high as their waist, when someone has barely brushed past them.

Rolling around in agony, before being instantly revived when a card is shown to an opposing player.

TV pundits talking about "contact" as if that's an automatic foul. I fell in love with football as a "contact sport" and I don't remember the announcement that said it no longer is.

Players appealing for a throw-in when they know perfectly well it came off them.

Players trying to steal 1cm at corners by carefully placing it a fraction outside the arc. Why?

Managers acting like spoilt kids in the playground when they are actually the senior public face of a multi-million pound global enterprise. "Yeah, I kids the water bottles everywhere, but you must understand I was upset by the decision." Oh didums, did the nasty man give a free kick to the other team? You are the manager, act like it!

The fans making endless excuses for their players actions, merely because they are players for their clubs. Liverpool fans, accept what sort of a person Suarez is, and likewise Chelsea with JT.

I'm sure there are more, I'm old school, and modern poncy stuff does tend to make me cringe. When I stop to think about it, I always end up at the same place ... what has happened to the game I fell in love with?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Managers referring to 'the football club'

Managers who 'couldn't fault the lads commitment.'

'Lifelong' Manchester United 'fans' who have never set foot in Manchester.

Staged post cup final celebrations with fireworks, sponsors logos everywhere and 'Rocking all over the World' blaring out.

Andy Townsend: 'the keepers not saving that.' (amongst other gems).

Managers bemoaning 'diabolical' refereeing decisions.

Sky advertising the 'Umbro cup' in the middle of July.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
NSC on a slow news day. Or any day recently. Daren't think what drivel there will be on here when the season finishes, but it will be even more cringe-worthy.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
NSC on a slow news day. Or any day recently. Daren't think what drivel there will be on here when the season finishes, but it will be even more cringe-worthy.

This close season I predict

Should Oscar be sacked before the season?
Why are we the only club adhering to FFP when (insert club) have just signed (insert number) of players
Lampard signature IMMINENT
Owen and Beckham interested in coaching roles
Let's laugh at who Palace have signed (even if it is a great signing)
And,
A record number of 'fixtures'

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Statements along the lines of "anyone who know the lad will tell you he's not that sort of a player" shortly after seeing said player commit a potentially career-ending "tackle" on a member of the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here