Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We cannot sack the manager 3 months into the next season

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Think I'm in agreement with OP.

I'm on fence regards Oscar as I've no clue what goes on in training, how he gets the players fired up, the relationship between him and Jones, how much or little say he has in transfer activity or what sorts of conversations are going on between him and TB

I wish he would be a bit more animated and give us some clues about what's going on and what's on his mind as he's probably the only Manager I can think of that can stand in front of a camera for three minutes and say nothing.

Most, if not all of us are in the dark but I guess TB knows exactly what's going on and will make the right decisions regards Oscar. Purely a hunch but I think he'll be gone by end of season but I'm by no means in the Oscar out camp

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Burnley are still an interesting example. Even with the 8m payment, their turnover is still likely to be less than ours; it was 8m less in 12/13. Goes to show it can be done if a manager is given a summer to build his own team.

Or maybe Dyche has been in the game, and more specifically the Championship, long enough to know what it's all about and how to play your way out of the division. My personal opinion is that Oscar could have 3 summers of 'building his own team' and we would still be mediocre and woefully boring to watch.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
At which point did our fans become spoilt and start asking for the managers heads all the time? Tinpot. It shows lack of knowledge, patience, and intelligence. Some Leicester fans were calling for Pearson's scalp last year.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
At which point did our fans become spoilt and start asking for the managers heads all the time? Tinpot. It shows lack of knowledge, patience, and intelligence. Some Leicester fans were calling for Pearson's scalp last year.

Maybe you are right,but I wouldn't bet against Oscar being shown the door if things are deemed not good enough by the Board at the end of the season.
I am sure there is a great deal of knowledge and intelligence there;but how much patience,I don't know.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For me the crucial point is my expectations. After last season I and probably most supporters, expected us to move up a rung and go one step further than last. We then had Oscar appointed with glowing references and he said that he had a philosophy of playing attacking football. We did this in the first couple of games and I was very optomistic but sadly we have gone backwards in recent months even taking into account losing Crofts to injury. His replacements havent been good enough so questions need to be asked as to who was the major voice in signing those players. Put that right and next season could be a good one if not problems will follow.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

but Leicester went about it the positive way, I know we made them look mugs at ours, but their firepower and all round play has paid dividends, whereas we............

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Maybe you are right,but I wouldn't bet against Oscar being shown the door if things are deemed not good enough by the Board at the end of the season.
I am sure there is a great deal of knowledge and intelligence there;but how much patience,I don't know.

TB spent all summer demonstrating how he will not just sack a manager on a whim like so many other chairmen. He will play things straight down the legal route and given our position in the league, our attendances, etc, I see no contractual breach occurring and therefore te compo payments stay firming in TB's back pocket and Oscar will (at least) see out his contract our we drop into the relegation zone or attendances (ie income) falls and a clause is triggered.

Oscar May walk but I see no evidence that that will happen either!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

There is 0% chance he'll be shown the door in the summer. It's all about giving him a full summer to improve the team. If 8th to 10th is achieved again in 2015 and Bloom expected more, maybe there'll be a change.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
With the main foreign legion poised to leave at the end of the season for various reasons, it would make sense for Garcia to go as well. With squad re building to be done, it needs someone who knows this league inside out and how to get out of it...Which we won't ever get, unless Burke goes as well. No quality manager worth his salt, would work with in the current set up at the club....That's the biggest problem we have.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
With the main foreign legion poised to leave at the end of the season for various reasons, it would make sense for Garcia to go as well. With squad re building to be done, it needs someone who knows this league inside out and how to get out of it...Which we won't ever get, unless Burke goes as well. No quality manager worth his salt, would work with in the current set up at the club....That's the biggest problem we have.

I don't understand this obsession many have with appointing a manager 'who knows how to get out of this league'. Neither Nigel Pearson or Shaun Dyche have done it before, yet they seem to be doing alright this season.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't understand this obsession many have with appointing a manager 'who knows how to get out of this league'. Neither Nigel Pearson or Shaun Dyche have done it before, yet they seem to be doing alright this season.

Both seasoned players turned managers who know this league inside out. Pearson done ok at Hull and Leicester have got better and better, Dyche was doing a great job at Watford before someone thought the foreign route was the way to go. Clearly they already had the right man but couldn't see it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
TB spent all summer demonstrating how he will not just sack a manager on a whim like so many other chairmen. He will play things straight down the legal route and given our position in the league, our attendances, etc, I see no contractual breach occurring and therefore te compo payments stay firming in TB's back pocket and Oscar will (at least) see out his contract our we drop into the relegation zone or attendances (ie income) falls and a clause is triggered.

Oscar May walk but I see no evidence that that will happen either!

Who knows,after all it is football and not the real world....TB's principles notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Both seasoned players turned managers who know this league inside out. Pearson done ok at Hull and Leicester have got better and better, Dyche was doing a great job at Watford before someone thought the foreign route was the way to go. Clearly they already had the right man but couldn't see it.

Pearson and Dyche both only achieved 11th placed finishes in their only full seasons at Hull and Watford respectively - hardly a ringing inditement of their credentials. I think you've sprinkled a touch of hindsight to say that Watford 'clearly had the right man but couldn't see it.' The fact that the 'foreign way' turned out to be Zola, who played the best football in the division last year and got them to within 90 minutes of the Premiership shows that the owners have some sense. The championship is undoubtedly an incredibly tough league to get out of, by I still don't believe it hinges on having a manager who's done it before.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Your argument is riddled with holes, though.

Pearson has failed many times previously.

Zola took Watford to a higher finish than Dyche achieved, and but for a shocking performance at Wembley, would have taken them up. How was that the 'wrong' appointment?

Dyche has done a tremendous job at Burnley, with Eddie Howe's team.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Zola done it (or rather didn't) fiddling the system and I think it's pushing it to say Pearson has failed many times before??? Most places he has been has been clubs riddled with problems and to be fare to him he has made a decent fist of it, with maybe the exception of Southampton.....as for Eddie Howe's team, he was only there 5 mins and even if he did sign the players, he clearly couldn't get it right with them, something Dyche hasn't has a problem with. That could be counter argued that Garcia inherited Poyet's team that I still believe were good enough to go up last season and look at what he has done to them.....All the more reason why Garcia hasn't got it. what ever it is???

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Yes of course it is. Apart from Bridge, Hammond, Bridcutt, Barnes, El Abd, Mackail Smith & for much of the season Buckley, Orlandi & Crofts.

Funny that this huge point is being constantly ignored by those that are knocking Oscar

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here