Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

City Break Ideas

Barcelona also get my vote for obvious reasons. :lol:
Been here 6 years now & never tire of going into the city & doing the tourist things.
As an earlier poster mentioned, whilst Las Ramblas is great, if you head off there in either direction you will find some great little cafes & restaurants with much better rates than on the main street.
As a bonus, there are plently of bars & pubs that show all English football games.
In fact, I am off to Flahertys tonight for the game, as I dont have BT Sport...:ascarf:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So had a great trip to Barcelona, nice time of year to visit but quite a lot of Americans on Spring Break there. Bit of sightseeing, lazy lunches/drinking, beachfront bike rides.

Also every meal we had was quality, quick run down in case anyone is off:

La Pepita - Great little 'modern' Tapas place, was completely unplanned and we stumbled across it just after it opened at 8, and it was full by 8.15. Excellent food, and pretty well priced. Think we had about 7 dishes + bread + drinks, and it came to about 80Eur for 2 of us. Highly recommended.

Bambarol - Japanese influenced Tapas place, based on Trip Advisor review. Nice restaurant, kind of laid back but good service. Portoins a bit smaller than La Pepita, so we did order more, but spent about the same. Wine was very cheap, and absolutely top notch.

Parrilla Alfonsina - Steak place. Very affordable, and great cuts. Luckily only went for the 'half' ribeye - was about £16 but very sizeable and only just finished it. Great service, although in a funny area. Ideal for a good, hearty, relatively cheap meal.

Also a nod to Bobby Gin cocktail bar... incredible stuff going on there ! 15Eur a drink though, so not a place to binge.

Went to the Camp Nou to watch Barcelona destroy Osasuna. Great experience, and great to see Messi in the flash... what a player

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
So had a great trip to Barcelona, nice time of year to visit but quite a lot of Americans on Spring Break there. Bit of sightseeing, lazy lunches/drinking, beachfront bike rides.

Also every meal we had was quality, quick run down in case anyone is off:

La Pepita - Great little 'modern' Tapas place, was completely unplanned and we stumbled across it just after it opened at 8, and it was full by 8.15. Excellent food, and pretty well priced. Think we had about 7 dishes + bread + drinks, and it came to about 80Eur for 2 of us. Highly recommended.

Bambarol - Japanese influenced Tapas place, based on Trip Advisor review. Nice restaurant, kind of laid back but good service. Portoins a bit smaller than La Pepita, so we did order more, but spent about the same. Wine was very cheap, and absolutely top notch.

Parrilla Alfonsina - Steak place. Very affordable, and great cuts. Luckily only went for the 'half' ribeye - was about £16 but very sizeable and only just finished it. Great service, although in a funny area. Ideal for a good, hearty, relatively cheap meal.

Also a nod to Bobby Gin cocktail bar... incredible stuff going on there ! 15Eur a drink though, so not a place to binge.

Went to the Camp Nou to watch Barcelona destroy Osasuna. Great experience, and great to see Messi in the flash... what a player

I was also in Barcelona that weekend and went to the match. We had a great time and will definitely go back again.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I'm meant to be going to Toulouse soon. It's meant to be lovely. Is that the case? Anyone been?

I have , it's a lovely city .
Flew in & out of here on our way to Biarritz & Sans Sebastian .
Reminds me of a mini-Paris in parts .
The cassoulet I ate at Restaurant Emile is the best meal I've ever eaten - I'd revisit Toulouse even if only to have the pleasure of eating that meal again .
The restaurant sits on a pretty square close to the city centre and is not outrageously expensive - €22 for the cassoulet ;

http://www.google.com.au/webhp?nord=1#nord=1&q=restaurant+emile+toulouse

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Been to the following over the last few years:

Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Munich, Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Milan and Lille.

Madrid was about the worst otherwise the rest were all interesting, next Euro city is Hamburg in October.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Prague, great architecture cheap beer!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Loved Prague....probably my favourite short break, but also big thumbs up for Barcelona, Dublin, Amsterdam, Madrid and Edinburgh. New York is another obvious one.....

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Ljubljana in Slovenia - picturesque place with great sightseeing nearby - Lake Bled (a stunning lake with a church on an island in the middle) is close.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Had a couple of days in Barcelona with the missus last year, fabulous city. La Ramblas is great, but if you go down the sidestreets there is a whole miriad of terrific little bars and restaurants tucked away. And the cathedrals are genuinely, jaw-droppingly spectacular inside.

This! But hold on to your wallet and don't dress too well. Muggers and pickpockets are rife.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Loved Prague....probably my favourite short break, but also big thumbs up for Barcelona, Dublin, Amsterdam, Madrid and Edinburgh. New York is another obvious one.....

This, but you need at least 5 nights to do New York justice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here