Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pearson, Dyche, Redknapp, Davies, Adkins, Mclaren, McCarthy.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
In the last five full seasons 9 teams out of 120 have finished the season with a manager who is not British or Irish. (7.5%)

Of these one was promoted, one was relegated, the other seven all finished in the top half.

Last year there were only two 'foreign' managers and they finished third and fourth.

These facts tell us one thing:

There is nowhere near enough data available to make a comparison which would be worth anything in statistical terms.

Just stop this nonsense.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
and lets look at some of the managers that have taken teams up in the past 5 years:

Mackay
Holloway (twice ffs)
Allardyce
Bruce
Lambert
Warnock
Coyle
McLeish
McCarthy

and how many on here would turn their noses up at most on these lists??? We need a certain style and management team to get out of this division and we are nowhere near that now.

Many of those clubs were boosted by parachute payments (a severe losses) weren't they?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Many of those clubs were boosted by parachute payments (a severe losses) weren't they?

I was going to look up the finances of those promotions myself, but couldn't be bothered in the end. Glad you clarified it for us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Possibly. I think you also have to ask yourself how many really good foreign managers would want to come and manage a 2nd tier English club. I guess most would want to prove themselves at home first....and if they do they will be looking higher than The Championship.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
kev does know what he's talking about when it comes to managers.

I mean, he was insistant Poyet would take Sunderland down......oh.

:lolol:

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
That's true. I think many are making the point on this and other threads that our current style of play and management are more suited for the Premier league than the Championship. It may have seemed cruel at the time, but what Southampton did was probably the blueprint...do you think Pochettino would have got them out of the championship?

Aug 23, 2011
My main concern with those managers listed is that they do well occasionally but more often only do mediocre yet it's there few achievements are remembered and not the negatives. Why do we want to recycle the same old faces hoping that they will get it right? I'm more than happy with the road the club has gone down risking the unknown to an extent

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
and lets look at some of the managers that have taken teams up in the past 5 years:

Mackay
Holloway (twice ffs)
Allardyce
Bruce
Lambert
Warnock
Coyle
McLeish
McCarthy

and how many on here would turn their noses up at most on these lists??? We need a certain style and management team to get out of this division and we are nowhere near that now.

And they all either got the sack or struggled.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
In the last five full seasons 9 teams out of 120 have finished the season with a manager who is not British or Irish. (7.5%)

Of these one was promoted, one was relegated, the other seven all finished in the top half.

Last year there were only two 'foreign' managers and they finished third and fourth.

These facts tell us one thing:

There is nowhere near enough data available to make a comparison which would be worth anything in statistical terms.

Just stop this nonsense.

Absolutely this. There is no way you can look at the nationality of promotion managers when the pool of managers is overwhelmingly dominated by one or two nationalities. You might as well start looking at managers from the North or managers that have an even number of letters in their name.

Pointless.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
That's because they are not suited to managing in the prem, but perfect for getting there. Much like a lot of players.

Each to their own but I'd rather have a bit of continuity when we go up, The last thing I'd want to see is some old dinosaur taking us up then spending the summer buying crap players and then leaving a new manager with an uphill task trying to keep us up with very little funds left. I know a lot of people laugh at it but there is a lot of sense in being premier league ready as Paul Barber calls it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Spot the trend..The only way to get out of this division is know it.

Bizarre and biased comparisons.

Aside from that, Pearson, Dyche and McClaren have never been promoted from this league, so I am not sure why they are included.

Mick McCarthy has two promotions in 10 seasons at this level. Billy Davies has one promotion in 10 seasons at this level.

Hahaha.

Good thread

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
IF we had got Pullis in July this board would have gone into meltdown. But we would be in the top 4 now no doubt.

Dream on. Nobody could have got us into the top 4 with the injuries we've had.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
oscar-051213-l229-1217294_478x359.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here