Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been listening to the Flaming Lips (and friends) not quite murdering Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It's certainly better than their cover of Dark Side of The Moon and they've already announced they're working on a cover of the Stone Roses first album. I'm somewhat confused about this series of albums. Why bother with such a vanity project? I can only guess this is a filler whilst they try to re-capture their muse. The album isn't too bad but they've made it far too psychedelic and the most indulgent tracks being the first and last doesn't leave a great impression. The production really lifts it, it's superbly constructed which is saying something when they've thrown everything including the kitchen sink at it. The best track is definitely Lovely Rita feat Tegan and Sara and this is quite err...lovely . The rest tend to merge into one wall of noise. I'd give it 5/10

From the interviews I have read, and reading between the lines a little, I think they just do it for a bit of fun and an excuse to have a stress-free piss about with a varied bunch of like minded individuals.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I have only just got Gruff Rhys American Interior but it is excellent. Even if you don't like the concept it has some fantastic pop songs on it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a really, really good record, that stands up to repeat playing. Very different from what they've done before and a variety of sounds - the post-rock of Press Heavenwards, Jesus Lizard-like scuzz punk of No Dog, whilst Dig Your Fingers In sounds like PJ Harvey at her most tender.

I've seen them live plenty in the last 12 months, they have improved beyond recognition.

http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/record-review/?p=89332

I will have to go and listen to this. I actually own one of their earlier albums but did not care too much for it. I got chatting to the bass-player in The Evening Star just before they went to record this new album and subsequently revisited my previous purchase but still it didnt do anything for me. Maybe this new one will?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I will have to go and listen to this. I actually own one of their earlier albums but did not care too much for it. I got chatting to the bass-player in The Evening Star just before they went to record this new album and subsequently revisited my previous purchase but still it didnt do anything for me. Maybe this new one will?

First EP was great

Their first album wasn't very good

Second album was much better

New album is excellent.

I reckon it will, have a listen here https://esbenandthewitch.bandcamp.com/

You sure you don't mean the drummer, Dan, tall chap, knows his beer? He works at the Star, though the other 2 aren't exactly strangers to the place either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First EP was great

Their first album wasn't very good

Second album was much better

New album is excellent.

I reckon it will, have a listen here https://esbenandthewitch.bandcamp.com/

You sure you don't mean the drummer, Dan, tall chap, knows his beer? He works at the Star, though the other 2 aren't exactly strangers to the place either.

Yes, you're correct it was Dan the drummer.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
From the interviews I have read, and reading between the lines a little, I think they just do it for a bit of fun and an excuse to have a stress-free piss about with a varied bunch of like minded individuals.

Hmm...a jam between mates is a stress-free piss-about but to turn it into a full blown release with 28 different bands/artists clearly does have all the stresses, worries, headaches that a major Warner Records act would have with any other album. I sincerely doubt that it was all done in one take and the audio mastering and mixing done in a knockabout, stress-free style.

I worry about the Flaming Lips. Their last studio release was very weak and the album before that was also a bunch of songs with mates that fell very flat. Then there's the split with the drummer, the Erykah Badu scandal, the Miley Cyrus nonsense and this seemingly never-ending psychedelic re-workings of classic albums or numerous collaborations in lieu of a single decent album of their own. And since the advent of Twitter I've realised what an utter arse-hat Wayne Coyne can be.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hmm...a jam between mates is a stress-free piss-about but to turn it into a full blown release with 28 different bands/artists clearly does have all the stresses, worries, headaches that a major Warner Records act would have with any other album. I sincerely doubt that it was all done in one take and the audio mastering and mixing done in a knockabout, stress-free style.

Maybe. I have not listened to it yet but to me it seems to be just a bunch of people covering a famous album for charity. It does not strike me as a regular release.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Up until now my favourite Half Man Half Biscuit album has been Trouble Over Bridgewater. However Urge For Offal, the new album, could well be overtaking that position. The usual stuff, great songs and great lyrics about almost everything- a fortnights holiday in Devon, suicide and even a love song. Particulalry pleasing is 'Adam Boyle Has Cast Ladrock Aside' which is about some **** who has discovered Mumford and Sons type 'folk'and as a result changed his complete wardrobe of clothes as well as musical allegiance. He's flirting with tweed! Not to everyone's taste but this band have been around 30 years and still producing some of their best work.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A few albums I've been listening to over the last couple of weeks

Royksopp - 'The Inevitable End'

This is the swansong from the Norwegian duo, they're qutiting the album format from hereon in. Critics have given it a mixed review, mainly of the 'it's not a patch on their Melody A.M. album' that they've been stuck with for 14 odd years. I've heard a sneak preview and I think it's unfair and untrue, the album is a very nice way to sign off and there's a few guest appearances too. The inevitable Robyn collaboration (and why not? Robyn/Royksopp have always made for a lovely sound) is there and also Jamie McDermott of Eastbourne band, the Irrepressibles on no less than 4 of the songs. They've built the album much like a DJ set - some very dance-oriented stuff at the beginning to get you in the mood, a short hiatus and then the bangers to wave your arms to. And then it gets deep and sultry at the end with some tunes that would make perfect deep house remixes. 7/10

C.A.R. - 'My Friend'

I first heard about this band after reading a review of their single Spitfire in which Andy Weatherall no less declared it as one of his tunes of the year. C.A.R. is the work of London-based/French singer/songwriter Chloe Raunet and her sound is very retro-80s melancholy pop that OMD, Yazoo, Propaganda, The Assembly used to rule the airwaves with. I can't recommend this album highly enough, it is absolutely phenomenal. If Spitfire is very good then the first track, Angelina is quite simply out of this world. 9/10

iTunes link https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/my-friend/id917556744
Soundcloud stream: https://soundcloud.com/c_a_r/sets/car-my-friend-mastered/s-GZhXA

Chicks On Speed - 'Artstravaganza'

With Peaches, Ladytron, Miss Kittin all very quiet it's great to see that there's still one of the old school girls-with-attitude-and-synths is still rocking the world. This is exactly what you expect to get with a CoS album but also their most Germanic feeling, not surprising given their roots and there are huge nods to Yello, Kraftwerk, Trio. It has a deliberate art-house feel to it as it's part of a multimedia art project and I'm keen to see how that works with the music. They've released Utopia as a single from it but I think Plastic Bag or Coyote Hustle are far stronger tunes for single release. 7/10

Christ. - 'Metamorphic Reproduction Miracle'

Better known as Scot, Christopher Horne he once had the distinction of being one of only a couple of John Peel Session musicians who have been asked for an encore. This album is bang smack in the middle of Aphex Twin territory with more bleeps, clicks and whistles than you can shake a copy of Ableton Pro at. Best listened to with good headphones. 6/10

Bandcamp link: https://christmusic.bandcamp.com/album/metamorphic-reproduction-miracle-lp

Saint Saviour - 'In The Seams'

The ex-Groove Armada girl has released her second album and very surprisingly for a lady who loves her electro-pop she's ditched that completely for a ballad-led album with everything accompanied either by piano, acoustic guitar and even harp on one track (I think). I don't want to draw lazy comparisons with other British female singer/songwriters but the change in musical direction has mirrored Alison Goldfrapp's last couple of albums. I'm not accusing Saint Saviour of copying the style, just surprising that both of them have gone for this route whereas a lot of others have headed down the Lana Del Ray operatic power ballad route. I think I prefer the quieter approach. 8/10

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Really looking forward to the new Ariel Pink album. I wasn't such a fan of his last one 'Mature Themes' but the two tracks he's shared so far have been very promising in their different ways. The first one is a synth driven monster, the second a whimsical pop tune, along the lines of the Magnetic Fields.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You will probably be very interested in this new release then. It was cut from the new Ariel Pink album but the video has been released today.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A few albums I've been listening to over the last couple of weeks

C.A.R. - 'My Friend'

C.A.R. is the work of London-based/French singer/songwriter Chloe Raunet and her sound is very retro-80s melancholy pop that OMD, Yazoo, Propaganda, The Assembly used to rule the airwaves with. I can't recommend this album highly enough, it is absolutely phenomenal. If Spitfire is very good then the first track, Angelina is quite simply out of this world. 9/10

Saint Saviour - 'In The Seams'

The ex-Groove Armada girl has released her second album and very surprisingly for a lady who loves her electro-pop she's ditched that completely for a ballad-led album with everything accompanied either by piano, acoustic guitar and even harp on one track (I think). I don't want to draw lazy comparisons with other British female singer/songwriters but the change in musical direction has mirrored Alison Goldfrapp's last couple of albums. I'm not accusing Saint Saviour of copying the style, just surprising that both of them have gone for this route whereas a lot of others have headed down the Lana Del Ray operatic power ballad route. I think I prefer the quieter approach. 8/10

Very much like the sound of these two.

Will have a listen later.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Ex- Razorlight/We Are Scientists drummer Andy Burrows has a new album 'Fall Together Again'. Don't bother listening to it. It's shit.

I'm happy to follow this approach for tedious albums: TOPS and also Mr Twin Sister - lightweight rhubarb that caused me to start snoozing on the train, and I hardly ever snooze on the train.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really looking forward to the new Ariel Pink album. I wasn't such a fan of his last one 'Mature Themes' but the two tracks he's shared so far have been very promising in their different ways. The first one is a synth driven monster, the second a whimsical pop tune, along the lines of the Magnetic Fields.

Agree on his last long player . He seemed to lose the perfect balance between pop and weird which he had on Before Today (I am not familiar with his material before this). Looking forward to the new one though and I've also just bought tickets to see him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here