Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Ashley Barnes leaves how will he be remembered?

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
I think he'll be a big miss to the team, has played different roles and has stepped up when asked with ulloa injured. Also, he hasn't put in a transfer request, it seems he is prepared to see out his contract obligations, whether he signs a new deal offered or not is up to him and if the club decided to sell him, he hasn't actually done wrong by the club at all.

Would this mean just el-abd, Calderon & Greer left from the title winning season at withdean? Assuming Barnes and bridcutt left? Kazenga if you include the loan spell....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
One of my favourite Albion players of the last 10 years. 100% effort every time he plays, often with jeers and abuse directed at him until recently.

A player who has improved massively year on year, a sad loss, he will do well wherever he goes. Might even get to be a crowd favourite.

Out of interest, which other players are in your favourites list?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Firstly, as I said in the other Barnes thread, that he has a contract offer and hasn't signed isn't news. It's been referenced all through the season, and it is precisely why some people have said he should go.

I appreciate his lack of signing a new deal has been widely rumoured on here. Just the first time I have seen it 100 per cent confirmed was in The Argus story today.

Playing devil's advocate, allowing his contract to run down in this way is the sort of thing which is usually met with disappointment and, in some cases, anger.

I suspect in this example, the pro-Barnes brigade will gloss over it, the anti-Barnes brigade will cling to it as evidence of disloyalty, and everyone else will just realise it is part of football these days.

But considering the vitriol some have directed towards Liam Bridcutt for handing in a transfer request is does surprise me than more fans have not reacted badly to Barnes' scenario. There doesn't, on the face of it, seem a lot of difference.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Would this mean just el-abd, Calderon & Greer left from the title winning season at withdean? Assuming Barnes and bridcutt left? Kazenga if you include the loan spell....

Brezovan, ankergren, did dunk play at all that year?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I'll remember him mainly as a player who scored 20 goals in our title winning team.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There doesn't, on the face of it, seem a lot of difference.

So many variables though. We don't know what we've offered him - perhaps it's a good deal, perhaps its a bit derisory? He hasn't said he wants to go, he's just not signed the contract offered. If I was being offered £X for my services, and I knew at several other places I could be getting £X+Y, I don't think I would be signing if Y was a pretty big figure.

One thing is for certain, if Barnes does go, he'll bang in 30 goals for his new team..................and we won't mention Barnsey any more!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He will be remember by me as the following:

- A driven and hard working player
- Someone who was absolutely vital to the best season I've ever watched (League One Winning season)
- Under-rated and unfairly blamed for a variety of things, such as not being Ulloa and not being Murray
- A real game changer
- A selfless player who has sacrificed personal glory for the team for nearly 5 years
- The first name I had on my shirt since Gary Hart

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I appreciate his lack of signing a new deal has been widely rumoured on here. Just the first time I have seen it 100 per cent confirmed was in The Argus story today.

Playing devil's advocate, allowing his contract to run down in this way is the sort of thing which is usually met with disappointment and, in some cases, anger.

I suspect in this example, the pro-Barnes brigade will gloss over it, the anti-Barnes brigade will cling to it as evidence of disloyalty, and everyone else will just realise it is part of football these days.

But considering the vitriol some have directed towards Liam Bridcutt for handing in a transfer request is does surprise me than more fans have not reacted badly to Barnes' scenario. There doesn't, on the face of it, seem a lot of difference.

People have mentioned it on here because it was in the argus earlier/at the start of this season, it wasn't baseless rumour.

Staying and seeing out your contract (while waiting to see the lay of the land at the end of the season) giving 100% every time out (despite signs the club is looking to replace you) is much more honourable than asking to leave (when you have a year and a half left on your contract) because someone else is willing to pay you more, on the back of performances that make it look as if you're not really interested in being here (despite the club showing every sign you are important to them), which is largely why bridcutt is getting some (undeserved, IMO) vitriol. Also, the gus factor.

That it has been known, as mentioned in the argus early this season, and the Barnes critics haven't made much of a deal over it, shows that it really isn't that big of a deal.

Last edited:

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Brezovan, ankergren, did dunk play at all that year?

Possibly as a sub maybe, not sure, forgot the keepers! Funny to think of the players in that starting eleven, where they all are now, from noone and Bennett in the prem to painter and dicker who have stepped down a league!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Out of interest, which other players are in your favourites list?

Bridcutt
Vicente, even though it was mostly cameos and all a bit surreal
Bridge
Murray
Ince is starting to get my love too

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I will remember him as bloody frustrating, but he got better this year with his play, but misses too many chances for me, I know he has scored a few over the past 3 years, but how many has his missed ? Good points are positional play, holds the ball well, not bad in the air for a short chap, bad points, first touch very bad, temperament and I know this one will be controversial, but he does not give 100%, he sulks after any decision goes against him and head down for a while, but after all his bad points, he was getting better this year, apart from putting the ball in the back of the net, which I do believe is his main job.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I'll be devastated to see Barnes go. He always puts in a shift and plays with his heart not his head, which has been his undoing on occasions.

Still can't believe he tripped that referee, what a lad.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At something like £25k from Plymouth, one of our best value signings ever, who even as an unheard-of 19 year old loanee, had an uncanny knack of scoring (and missing, which at least showed his instinct to be in the right place an awful lot of the time). Someone who has a shocking temper but who gradually seems to be getting on top of that. As someone who never stopped putting the effort in, even when on the receiving end of stick from the morons, and whose overall game improved year on year.

Don't want to see him go, but assuming he does, he goes with my thanks and good wishes (apart from against us, when I hope he gets sent off).

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Limited and missed a fair few sitters but gives 100% every game, massive will to win and versatile, perfect back up players and well worth keeping for the poultry fee we get.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I always felt he was better at centre forward than out on the left of the forward three and at times got stick from people because he was having to play in a position not best suited to him.

At his best when he could rely on his instincts. A lot of his goals appeared to be the sort when he didn't have time to think about things and just reacted. This made him frustrating to the extreme at times. Goals like the one at Bournemouth? No problem. Going through one on one with the 'keeper? Never confident he would score. Not to mention the frustration of his numerous cards for petulance.

Wish him all the best and in an ideal world we wouldn't be losing him. Certainly won me round after significant initial scepticism over his abilities.

Not as important as Ulloa, Upson, Kuszczak et al, but a good, solid squad player.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
This thread reminds me of one of Richard Harris' lines in Gladiator. Something like "How will the world speak my name in years to come? Will I be known as the philosopher? The warrior? The tyrant...? Or will I be the emperor who gave Rome back her true self?".

Barnes has made the odd mistake along the way. The majority of us i'm sure have appreciated his wholehearted efforts and valuable goals along the way. Thanks and all the best Ashley. See you in the Play-offs :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here