[Film] Film 2014

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I didn't like them. The 2nd batman film was watchable, Heath ledger was pretty tame as the joker, last one was shocking, just a terrible film. I switched inception off after about 40 mins. Hey, that's why they make thousands of films each year, we all like different things.

Heath Ledger was 'tame' as the joker?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Heath Ledger was 'tame' as the joker?

I thought so. I genuinely thought he made a pretty poor joker. Mind you I think the only man for the job is Crispin Glover. And I'm right. They should have gone full on Killing Joke.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Went to the matinee of Interstellar at Dukes at Komedia this afternoon. Stunning and suspenseful. Bit of a tear-jerker also, has to be said, really hits home if your the dad of a daughter. I'm sure others will vouch for the accuracy of the science, which I'm pretty sure is not all that, but thought-provoking enough for a soggy Thursday afternoon. More 2001 than Gravity by a fair way. Must be due huge plaudits for the film score alone. 8/10

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Went to the matinee of Interstellar at Dukes at Komedia this afternoon. Stunning and suspenseful. Bit of a tear-jerker also, has to be said, really hits home if your the dad of a daughter. I'm sure others will vouch for the accuracy of the science, which I'm pretty sure is not all that, but thought-provoking enough for a soggy Thursday afternoon. More 2001 than Gravity by a fair way. Must be due huge plaudits for the film score alone. 8/10

It is a 9 from me and Zimmer's music is stunning

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I saw Interstellar this afternoon.

Stunning visuals (Nolan's first film without Wally Pfister as cinematographer, I believe) and audio, and it definitely felt like the lovechild of Inception and 2001. A typically mazy Nolan plot that this time wraps the human condition around time, space and relativity.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I saw The Imitation Game this afternoon

excellent in every regard except one of my own personal dislikes, that is films that don't run chronologically. I know this is not something that bothers most people, but this film starts in 1951, then its back to his school days in the 20s then 1939 and back and forth between all three decades throughout the movie.

I'm still going to give it 8/10

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Saw Imitation Game matinee at Duke of York's today (gatecrashed the over-60's session note to self: never again!).

Not really seen much of Benedict Cumberbatch's stuff before, but found him hugely impressive today. Really made you feel for the finer points of AlanTuring's complex horribly-damaged character. Tremendous supporting cast also (incl. Keira Knightley, Charles Dance, Mark Strong). Powerful true story, expertly told. 8.5/10.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Saw Imitation Game matinee at Duke of York's today

Not really seen much of Benedict Cumberbatch's stuff before, but found him hugely impressive today. Really made you feel for the finer points of AlanTuring's complex horribly-damaged character. Tremendous supporting cast also (incl. Keira Knightley, Charles Dance, Mark Strong). Powerful true story, expertly told. 8.5/10.

Hmm: http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ew-slander-to-insult-alan-turing-reel-history

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Managed an afternoon matinee of The Imitation Game yesterday. I was quite impressed despite the historical inaccuracies therein. As usual an incredible performance by Cumberbatch, I really hope he can still commit to Sherlock as I'm sure he has work coming out of his ears these days. A fine ensemble supporting cast also helps lift this from being a good film to a very good film. Charles Dance and Mark Strong both excel in their roles.

Although there are quite some liberties taken with the facts ( as we all know the first Enigma machine and codebooks were captured by the Americans from U-571 ) they can be mostly overlooked in the light of the towering central performance.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Just back from a late showing of Interstellar and it was absolutely everything I hoped it would be.

Two minor criticisms on the science though I am being picky:

1) Pretty sure from my Planetary Geology lectures at Uni that there is no way that anything can survive a singularity on the event horizon of a black hole. As you watch the spacecraft disintegrate there is a modicum of disbelief that he can survive the immense pressures and forces in just his spacesuit.

2) The relative time dilation on the three planets was such that surely she would have aged massively relative to him?

Otherwise faultless in execution and build up. Not too many examples of my worst bugbear of Hollywood execs - we must either have flashbacks to remind our thick audiences, or have needless sections where two characters explain things to one another that both of them would know - I can think of only one example in this film where Cooper has worm hole shapes explained to him using paper and a pencil.

9/10.

Also bloody loved the fact that it was epic in length. Nearly three hours and my buttocks weren' t ever in danger of becoming numb enough to bother me!

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Finally got around to Mr Turner. Really rather splendid. Slow moving, looked great and kept me absorbed throughout. Large parts filmed in Cornwall (Rame Head, Kingsand) not Margate because the latter is too modern. Selfish bugger mind you (Turner not me)

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Farenheit 451 at Brighton Museum's former reading room (very apt setting) last night as part of Cine City. An absolute gem of a film that was visually delightful, a credit to the book and even featured a very young Mark 'Oliver' Lester. It's showing again tonight. Highly recommended if tickets are still available.

8.2/10

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've been looking for somewhere to see that and have a spare more than 3 hours to do so. I reckon i'll have to ask to leave work 15 minutes early on Monday for it. I'm jealous you've seen it now, so i have to. :)

I honk you'll like it. I saw it at Soho Curzon on Shaftesbury Ave if that helps.

Jul 7, 2003
Took my daughter to see the Paddington movie this morning. We both really enjoyed the film and it works quite nicely on the panto level with some gags aimed to keep the adults amused as well as the kids.

Of course, the highlight of my day was having Richie Reynolds in front of me on the queue to buy tickets although he wasn't wearing those 3D goggles he had on at them Amex yesterday.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Caught this year's Spandau Ballet documentary film Soul Boys of the Western World on Virgin last night. I'm not exactly a Spandau Ballet fan, but that was one fascinating watch, with some great footage of the whole 80s scene and the rise and 'fall' of the band, from 'cutting edge' 80s clubbers through to a bloated Hadley looking like a sweaty insurance salesman on stage in 2010. Could have done with a bit more on the acrimonious split/royalties issue, but only a minor gripe.

9/10 - for fans and non-fans alike.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports