Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Soooooooooo, The Fall last night. I'm no expert but after a slow start (the sound on the first track was horrible and MES's voice was at it's worst) it was the best I've seen them. A real energy about the band and MES - he wasn't mucking around that much, loved the 2 drummers, new stuff sounded extremely promising.

I'd go and see them again in London tonight if I could.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Soooooooooo, The Fall last night. I'm no expert but after a slow start (the sound on the first track was horrible and MES's voice was at it's worst) it was the best I've seen them. A real energy about the band and MES - he wasn't mucking around that much, loved the 2 drummers, new stuff sounded extremely promising.

I'd go and see them again in London tonight if I could.

Er, no incidents? No Fall gig ends without something odd having occurred.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Er, no incidents? No Fall gig ends without something odd having occurred.

Not really, they were a little late on, MES did his normal amp twiddling bollocks, the new drummer's a bit showy so he pushed his drums over. He seemed in a great mood, generally appreciative of the band and shared what I can only describe as a tender moment with Eleanor. They did pretty much have to be removed from the stage but nothing out of the ordinary that I saw.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Not really, they were a little late on, MES did his normal amp twiddling bollocks, the new drummer's a bit showy so he pushed his drums over. He seemed in a great mood, generally appreciative of the band and shared what I can only describe as a tender moment with Eleanor. They did pretty much have to be removed from the stage but nothing out of the ordinary that I saw.

I have mixed views. It was really good to hear lots of new stuff -some of it was quite experimental and possibly early in its development, I have seen this before with The Fall and what does not sound great the first time can grow into something brilliant later on. On the other hand I thought the sound was poor and it lacked some sparkle in comparison with the Stamford Bridge gig in May, where the guitar sound was much stronger and the two drummers really worked.

The Fall forum is raving about it which just shows how The Fall can create fantastically diverse opinions on just about everything they do.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I have mixed views. It was really good to hear lots of new stuff -some of it was quite experimental and possibly early in its development, I have seen this before with The Fall and what does not sound great the first time can grow into something brilliant later on. On the other hand I thought the sound was poor and it lacked some sparkle in comparison with the Stamford Bridge gig in May, where the guitar sound was much stronger and the two drummers really worked.

The Fall forum is raving about it which just shows how The Fall can create fantastically diverse opinions on just about everything they do.

I thought the sound on the first track was awful but by the time they played Cowboy George and Bury was fine. I wasn't even in a particuarly good spot. There were two new tracks I was massively keen on, they were the one after Bury and the penultimate track before Rode. I could only count three new ones but wondered if some flowed into others.... I'll reserve judgement on the new one they opened with as I said the sound was 'orrible.

Last edited:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I thought the sound on the first track was awful but by the time they played Cowboy George and Bury was fine. I wasn't even in a particuarly good spot. There were two new tracks I was massively keen on, they were the one after Bury and the penultimate track before Rode. I could only count three new ones but wondered if some flowed into others.... I'll reserve judgement on the new one they opened with as I said the sound was 'orrible.

This is new I think - Dedication? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3UYkB9LQI&feature=youtu.be The guitar sounded like Everything's Gone Green from where I was standing last night - it sounds better on the video clip -very promising.

The encore was the best song of the night for me - showede real intensity - again I don't know what it was, possibly a Stooges cover. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3C8RCUwf_Q&feature=youtu.be (Warning:Contains bad language)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This is new I think - Dedication? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3UYkB9LQI&feature=youtu.be The guitar sounded like Everything's Gone Green from where I was standing last night - it sounds better on the video clip -very promising.

The encore was the best song of the night for me - showede real intensity - again I don't know what it was, possibly a Stooges cover. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3C8RCUwf_Q&feature=youtu.be (Warning:Contains bad language)

Isn't it a cover of Cock In My Pocket? IIRC it's an unreleased Stooges track, there's a version on Metallic K.O I think.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have mixed feelings about last night. They played quite a few tracks from the soon to be released new album, a good thing to do but when you have a huge back catalogue it should never make up the majority of your set list. Where was Mr Pharmacist? Mark was on his best behaviour and again that was disappointing. No carrier bag full of lyrics, no wandering off, no gurning at the crowd, a few twiddles but nothing special. I did enjoy the extended White Lightening and having two drummers did certainly create a louder sound. Altogether glad to have gone but have enjoyed better.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I have mixed feelings about last night. They played quite a few tracks from the soon to be released new album, a good thing to do but when you have a huge back catalogue it should never make up the majority of your set list. Where was Mr Pharmacist? Mark was on his best behaviour and again that was disappointing. No carrier bag full of lyrics, no wandering off, no gurning at the crowd, a few twiddles but nothing special. I did enjoy the extended White Lightening and having two drummers did certainly create a louder sound. Altogether glad to have gone but have enjoyed better.

Anyone go to Brixton last night? Apparently it was stunning - my mate reckons best gig in 15 years.

Whole gig on Youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L00UCa21vFg&feature=youtu.be

Just watched Deidication after 48 mins - looks and soiunds like a classic now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I went to see Fire Orchestra! last night.
In an old laundry basement in London Fields. Stage was big, but it had to be to fit all 28 of them on. This really was the most extraordinary live experience, combining the sleaze and roll of a great rock gig, the meticulous arrangement of a classical concert, and the improvisation of free jazz. The voices of the two female singers were like nothing I've heard before, especially given we were standing just a few yards away from them. The brass section worked particularly well live, and it was this and the voices that really differentiated it from the record.
Given there's 28 of them and they're a minority pursuit, they won't play much, but if you're willing to experiment and are genuinely thrilled by live music, I couldn't recommend them more highly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to see Fire Orchestra! last night.
In an old laundry basement in London Fields. Stage was big, but it had to be to fit all 28 of them on. This really was the most extraordinary live experience, combining the sleaze and roll of a great rock gig, the meticulous arrangement of a classical concert, and the improvisation of free jazz. The voices of the two female singers were like nothing I've heard before, especially given we were standing just a few yards away from them. The brass section worked particularly well live, and it was this and the voices that really differentiated it from the record.
Given there's 28 of them and they're a minority pursuit, they won't play much, but if you're willing to experiment and are genuinely thrilled by live music, I couldn't recommend them more highly.

Just looked these guys up and they're over here in November but sadly I'm away. Shame

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Bought Great Escape Tickets today from Resident. Comes round quickly. Hundred quid for two. Ouch!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see The War on Drugs have announced for The Dome. They're very popular now.

They've upgraded their second Berlin show as well. Shame as the original venue, the Heimathafen, is one of my favourites.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
West to see Kasabian at Terminal 5 in NYC Saturday night. First leg of US tour and playing Brighton late November. They were fantastic although much helped by playing at smaller venue. They would never have got away with it in the UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here