Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
...Gary O'Reilly was a funny one. A bit serious (in a 'serious artist' way), but knew his stuff. But we went to the pub afterwards, and he was relaxed and fine - he's more than happy to talk about his collection of mullets from back in the day. As much as I was feeling a little bit tense about that one, he texted me the next day to say he really enjoyed it. People, eh?

I thought it odd how he didn't really enter the spirit... little humour or humility... while on Fighting Talk when I heard him he usually seemed generous in recalling his times at The Goldstone...

While he was ranting on about Spurs etc. I was taken back to the first time I saw him play full back for the Seagulls at home, and even then he didn't seem to get what the crowd were wanting him to do. At one point he had the ball at he feet, standing motionless just outside his own 18 yard box for what seemed like an age without much clue what to do with the ball with teammates running about looking for space. GO'R couldn't be bothered to do anything himself... to which the crowd started jeering expecting something creative... but all he did swear as the crowd and pass the ball back 10 yards to Moseley/Corrigan (can't remember which) - ad nauseam.

I think in the same situation on Saturday, Gordon Greer would have taken the ball to the opponents 18 yard line by himself... and then found no one to pass to...

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Gary O'Reilly was a funny one. A bit serious (in a 'serious artist' way), but knew his stuff. But we went to the pub afterwards, and he was relaxed and fine - he's more than happy to talk about his collection of mullets from back in the day. As much as I was feeling a little bit tense about that one, he texted me the next day to say he really enjoyed it. People, eh?

Yeah it came across that he has a pretty strong opinion of himself. Nonetheless was interesting to hear some of his stories when he got away from his love of Spurs.

Any chance you can get Calde on again at some point?? Would be interested to hear from him a couple of years on from his last appearance, especially with so much happening at the club in that timeframe..

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thank you. Most kind.

Well... we could snip it off the beginning and the end for the podcast, but the protocol for a radio show is usually to have an intro and outro. We'll sort out the volume levels accordingly.

You are, however, dissing a Northern Soul classic...

Fading it in might be helpful...makes me jump a tad too

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yeah it came across that he has a pretty strong opinion of himself. Nonetheless was interesting to hear some of his stories when he got away from his love of Spurs.

Any chance you can get Calde on again at some point?? Would be interested to hear from him a couple of years on from his last appearance, especially with so much happening at the club in that timeframe..

It's been 18 months.

Yeah, we can do that. If we did, I think I'd combine it with, say, Bruno coming on as well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Would Alan Mullery be out of the question? On his own I mean

Not at all. We've been trying for a while.

The problem is he is only in town for a matchday. He wouldn't come down just to do the show. If he's here for a matchday, he will be at the stadium when we need him in the studio.

Our best hope is for when the Albion have a home kick-off of 5.30pm (like, for instance, when the Universities had their open days) and he can go to the stadium afterwards. It was the only way we were able to get Gary Chivers on. If someone lives locally (like Gary O'Reilly does), it's not such an issue.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Last week's show with Rob Stevens from 'Get Coventry Back to the Ricoh' and Mark Raven is up as a podcast.

This week we have Louis Myles, a director / producer who works for the BBC on, among other things, Match of the Day, and who has just made a documentary film about 'Football Manager' and its evolution blurring from fantasy into reality, and Simon Tipple, who works on compiling records and databases for 'Football Manager'. Both Brighton fans, of course.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
When is this weeks show being uploaded?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Not at all. We've been trying for a while.

The problem is he is only in town for a matchday. He wouldn't come down just to do the show. If he's here for a matchday, he will be at the stadium when we need him in the studio.

Our best hope is for when the Albion have a home kick-off of 5.30pm (like, for instance, when the Universities had their open days) and he can go to the stadium afterwards. It was the only way we were able to get Gary Chivers on. If someone lives locally (like Gary O'Reilly does), it's not such an issue.

I'm late to the party here, but couldn't you do an over the phone interview/chat with guests that can't make it to the studio? Not ideal but better than nothing!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
We'll look into it.

Last week's show with The Treason Show's Mark Brailsford is up as a podcast.

This coming week we have the club's head of Marketing Tom Gorringe on the show. Any questions for him?

Would you ask him to have another look at making a digital version of the programme available again please? This was done for a couple of seasons, but then removed as it made a loss (according to Insider on Ask The Club). However, I have seen a number of clubs offer this service (even offering a single match option). And it is bloody annoying seeing multiple articles on the official website "promoting" articles in that week's programme, when I can't actually buy it.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Would you ask him to have another look at making a digital version of the programme available again please? This was done for a couple of seasons, but then removed as it made a loss (according to Insider on Ask The Club). However, I have seen a number of clubs offer this service (even offering a single match option). And it is bloody annoying seeing multiple articles on the official website "promoting" articles in that week's programme, when I can't actually buy it.

Will do

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The podcast is now available.

Alternatively, you can hear it on 97.2FM at midday today and 9.00am on Monday morning. Perfect if you're driving around, or doing the spring cleaning. Or looking to irritate your work colleagues.

:)

AZ - it was on the list of questions that we didn't get far enough down to. Sorry about that.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
A lot of gayness today & not a word about football so far, or have I got the wrong time, day, station?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here