Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An epochal decision that could have a massive impact on the human race.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I'm still not altogether clear on how grating the bigger flakes on the front equates to more wastage, compared with grating the cheese to a finer pulp from the rear resulting in less wastage. Half a pound of grated cheese is half a pound of grated cheese, regardless of the dimension of the shreddage.

I'm not dismissing the concept, but before I go changing my cheesegrating technique at the drop of a hat, a technique honed over many years to take into account courseness, age, size of cheese, not to mention crumble-factor, I need to see some clearly defined advantages and long term benefits.

I'm glad I am not alone, my grater has the little holes that are prominent on the back, they seem to snare the cheese.

I am either doing something wrong or my cheese grater isn't great?

Last edited:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
For only 66 quid, you can get one of these:-

lge-Pargrater_440x293.gif

Designer satin stainless steel AAA battery operated push button electric parmesan grater, supplied complete with batteries, and all removable parts are dishwasher safe. Manufactured by Cilio from Germany.

What happens if your batteries run out and you don't have any replacements? Let me guess you are rich enough to have a back up hand held? Snob.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This thread is grate, but Shirley some cheese are better suited to shavings, some to larger grates and some to fluffy grates you simple cannot pigeonhole all cheeses, it's just cheesism.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
You can take your old fashioned graters, and your front side or left side graters and shove them where the sun don't shine. All you need is this. Different lids for different grating, and absolutely NO wastage as it all goes into the box.

45877_PE142393_S4.jpg

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I will be publishing my doctorate on the subject, but I'll try and explain it for the layman.

Big heavy strips of grater expectorant require more cheese to provide an obvious cheese filling.
The LEFT HAND SIDE (it's very important we get this correct people) expectorant is finer cheese threads so provides bulkier cheeseness without the weight.

Apologies but I am a physicist of some note and what you have explained there is a lot of bollocks.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oh you're one of 'them'.

You have failed to understand the wastage from cavalier grating, as opposed to the more controlled environment, of leftism.
Your assertions of 'fluff' only derails your argument further, as that has been outlawed as cheeseaphoic abuse.

You know you will burn in hell for you conversion to smaller gratation??

MArk 45:7:c (small print) .....and Jesus said Low only the devil himselg would use anything but the corsest gratation setting. He who tries to make his cheese go further by making it smaller is a tight arse who will be cast into the firey pits of hell.

On the other hand there is much evidence to suggest that Jesus' loaves and fishes trick was mainly down to finer grating.

Either way you are messing with a dangerous illusion Stat Brother.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I am with you there brother. I've been a side grater for a few years now, never look back! The only thing I use the front side for is potato hash!

You can take your old fashioned graters, and your front side or left side graters and shove them where the sun don't shine. All you need is this. Different lids for different grating, and absolutely NO wastage as it all goes into the box.

I think I can just detect the Ikea logo on the side, we have a white version of this which has a lid so may be used for cheese storage as well. Just thought I would share that with you all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think I can just detect the Ikea logo on the side, we have a white version of this which has a lid so may be used for cheese storage as well. Just thought I would share that with you all.
Now is not the time for flim flammy small talk.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I would like to come out of the closet, to all NSC members and say I have been experimenting tonight and now want to out myself as bi-grated. Whilst there is a time and a place for longer, harder shavings of cheese from the front of the grater, I have also discovered a softer, bouncier side is sometimes preferable from the rear.

Currently I beleive my choice comes down to my mood and situation, but I am considering a menage effectively mixing both forms together in the same dish somehow. Both have a role to play in this culinary orgy and if I'm feeling particularly kinky one night I may even involve the Mrs.

Whilst this thread has championed the causes of both coarse and fine graters, I just ask that NSC spares a thought for us select few who like it both ways!

You know you will burn in hell for you conversion to smaller gratation??

MArk 45:7:c (small print) .....and Jesus said Low only the devil himselg would use anything but the corsest gratation setting. He who tries to make his cheese go further by making it smaller is a tight arse who will be cast into the firey pits of hell.

On the other hand there is much evidence to suggest that Jesus' loaves and fishes trick was mainly down to finer grating.

Either way you are messing with a dangerous illusion Stat Brother.
I'll bet you wouldn't dare misquote the Koran in such a fashion :)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Those flat grators are the tools of the devil - grate more knuckle than cheese.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I often pine after the cheese graters of yesteryear.

We used to have a grater such as this one. Grating cheese has never been the same since it's demise. :down:

View attachment 43327

I've still got one which has been handed down like a family heirloom.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Do you guys grate the block of cheese all the way to the bottom of the grater, creating longer strands of cheese, or do you do quick, short thrusts using mainly the top? We probably need a poll to settle it.

Dec 29, 2011
I'm glad I am not alone, my grater has the little holes that are prominent on the back, they seem to snare the cheese.

I am either doing something wrong or my cheese grater isn't great?

Sounds like you're using the Nutmeg grater, SB is comparing using the LARGE grating 'holes' with the smaller grating holes (right hand side of the second pic).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***CARROTS REQUIRE FRONT GRATATION***

Don't go left side crazy, people, I did and it's now carnage in the kitchen.

So once again I repeat

***CARROTS REQUIRE FRONT GRATATION***

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

View attachment 43354

Yep, we've got these.

But we've lost the plastic box bits so just grate direct onto whatever's underneath.

It could have been a disaster, but the grate action is so superb that you don't actually need the box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here