Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Calde was a liability"

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If Bridge follows Zaha doesn't that take his attaching prowess out of the game?

If it ain't broke don't fix it! Concentrate on our game plans and not Palace's.

Very much this. Boss the game and we won't have to worry. So far, slowing Zaha up has been fine for the fullback so we can get bodies back. By the time he cuts inside, he just runs into traffic and that's the end of it. One on one we're in trouble, which is why I thought Greer made one of the tackles of the season in the second half the other night when Palace were on the break and Zaha was just waiting for a pass..

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It certainly would, but we've got enough other outlets for attacks. I think it's a sacrifice worth making. To have nullified Palace's main attacking threat would give us a great confidence to be able to attack.

I can see your point but I would say you are underestimating what a big attacking outlet Bridge is for us. His combination with Orlandi/LuaLua etc down the left flank has led to numerous chances this season and by moving him to the right you would negate that. I am tempted to think that we are at home so let them deal with our attacking options and just double up on Zaha when necessary.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can see your point but I would say you are underestimating what a big attacking outlet Bridge is for us. His combination with Orlandi/LuaLua etc down the left flank has led to numerous chances this season and by moving him to the right you would negate that. I am tempted to think that we are at home so let them deal with our attacking options and just double up on Zaha when necessary.

Bridcutt and Greer can help out where needed.
Haha had one moment, which didn't amount to anything.

Calde won't have a card, but he will be targeted,.
Lets face it not even Holloway is stooopid enough to go after Bridge for a third time.

We shouldn't make any wholesale changes that could upset the team.
They can threaten all we want but we can too, and a lot of that comes from Bridge, Calde & Buckley.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Lets be honest, most defenders in this league will find it hard to defend against Zaha. He may not have an effective delivery but his dribbling is clearly top draw. IMO Calde seems to struggle against tricky wingers and that could be seen as a liability. But All things considered I think he did a decent job on him. Zaha got away from him a few times but with Calde on a yellow that is going happen.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Bridcutt and Greer can help out where needed.
Haha had one moment, which didn't amount to anything.

Calde won't have a card, but he will be targeted,.
Lets face it not even Holloway is stooopid enough to go after Bridge for a third time.

We shouldn't make any wholesale changes that could upset the team.
They can threaten all we want but we can too, and a lot of that comes from Bridge, Calde & Buckley.

Exactly. Bridge is a fantastic defender but his runs and crosses down the left wing have been a real threat this season too. I still can't believe that he signed for us. Lets hope he decides to stay and it's not his last game at the Amex (or even for us at all) tomorrow.

I definitely wouldn't make wholesale changes to the team. I was thinking after the Palace match that Upson and Greer have conceded 5 goals in 10 games since playing together and those include Ankergren's mistake against Forest, Hammond's own goal against Blackpool and Diouf's penalty for Leeds. That is an amazing record and if we can keep it up for the next two games we will have a great chance.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Lets be honest, most defenders in this league will find it hard to defend against Zaha. He may not have an effective delivery but his dribbling is clearly top draw. IMO Calde seems to struggle against tricky wingers and that could be seen as a liability. But All things considered I think he did a decent job on him. Zaha got away from him a few times but with Calde on a yellow that is going happen.

I agree and it just shows how good Bridge is that he has had Zaha in his pocket in both the league game at the Amex and the first leg of the play off!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Thanks for your thoughts.

But a left-footed full-back can play on the right, surely? He'd be much stronger at stopping Zaha cutting inside than the other way. Where he would need to adjust his game is dealing with Zaha going outside, but I honestly think the biggest threat of Zaha is his dribbling towards the goal rather than going down the wing and crossing. I'd be interested in what others think of this.

Interesting this. I'm generally on the right wing - but when I have to play at the back I'm far better at left back than right back. Never quite worked out why - possibly because wingers at the poor level I play cut in rather than go out wide - so, then I'm using my better foot?

I don't really think the yellow card had a huge amount to do with it - I reckon that Bridge just has the better of Zaha, whereas Calde hasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here