Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tory government yet again panders to bonkers, right wing, reactionary loons.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Mate of mine has a 3 bed council house and both his kids have grown up and moved out. He does sleep in a seperate room from his missus so they have 1 spare room. They have been told cough up an extra £35 per week or move out into a 2 bed place. Sounds like a good policy to me. They have lived there approx. 20 years so may be heart wrench to move when they don't want to but hey..

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The key word in the policy is "assessed". It's not a blanket policy where if you are single or a couple you get a 1 bed flat etc If the council assses you need extra space for carers or your children then you won't have your benefit docked. This is designed to cover people inhabiting large homes where their kids have moved out for good but are still getting a big property on peanut rents.

I know a family where the kids are now grown up and moved out. They have a three bed house. They could now live in a one bed flat.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Mate of mine has a 3 bed council house and both his kids have grown up and moved out. He does sleep in a seperate room from his missus so they have 1 spare room. They have been told cough up an extra £35 per week or move out into a 2 bed place. Sounds like a good policy to me. They have lived there approx. 20 years so may be heart wrench to move when they don't want to but hey..

This could encourage more council house swaps , families with kids in a 2 bedder needing a 3 bedder and couples downsizing to a 2 bedder

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Indeed but that doesn't suit the government bashers arguments. We'd love a spare room but can't afford the next step up the housing ladder - that's how the real world works.

That's what defines this country. We all love to point the finger at people apparently "sponging" by having any kind of benefit that others can't afford. Most of these people were put in this housing years ago before the twatting government sold all the council housing stock which means there is nowhere for them to downsize to except private rental where there are any number of sharks circling now there's blood in the water.

What would happen if, god forbid, you were in receipt of a benefit and you found yourselves faced with having to leave your house because there was nowhere for some family down the road to go? I imagine you would be happy to go? Of course not. It's the f***ing Tories with their nasty little England ways...if space is at such a premium I imagine Osborne and co will be taking in lodgers or forcing Lord Arseache to move into the lodge cottage so the manor house can be used for multiple occupancy. How about an unused room tax for the stockbroker belt? It's just plain nasty.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
A good idea surely. This is to stop people hanging onto large properties (which there is a shortage of) they don't need anymore, freeing them up for young families that actually need them.

Every case will be assessed by the housing associations anyway, not sure how you can play the evil Tories card here.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That's what defines this country. We all love to point the finger at people apparently "sponging" by having any kind of benefit that others can't afford. Most of these people were put in this housing years ago before the twatting government sold all the council housing stock which means there is nowhere for them to downsize to except private rental where there are any number of sharks circling now there's blood in the water.

What would happen if, god forbid, you were in receipt of a benefit and you found yourselves faced with having to leave your house because there was nowhere for some family down the road to go? I imagine you would be happy to go? Of course not. It's the f***ing Tories with their nasty little England ways...if space is at such a premium I imagine Osborne and co will be taking in lodgers or forcing Lord Arseache to move into the lodge cottage so the manor house can be used for multiple occupancy. How about an unused room tax for the stockbroker belt? It's just plain nasty.

Council housing should be given with Shorthold Tenancy Agreements rather than the current system of "as long as you like". That way everyone would know that the agreement would be regularly reviewed based on needs of the tenant and the tenants behaviour. The ability to get a council house should be based on your needs while you have the house not at a single point in time. It makes absolutely no sense to have a single parent living in a three bedroom house when the kids have left home. I don't consider people who are given council houses spongers but everyone should live within their own circumstances. If my income drops then I'd have to move to a smaller / cheaper house - it's only fair that people who receive state assistance also have to have their circumstances taken into account and move when they change.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A good idea surely. This is to stop people hanging onto large properties (which there is a shortage of) they don't need anymore, freeing them up for young families that actually need them.

Every case will be assessed by the housing associations anyway, not sure how you can play the evil Tories card here.

But it is the Evil Tories doing it. You do realise that two thirds of those being forced out of their homes are disabled? The fact this is, at very best, going to save the square root of f*** all is even more ridiculous.

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
This sort off thing is just a way to devide the people and is tipickle of this goverment pick on the weakest.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Council housing should be given with Shorthold Tenancy Agreements rather than the current system of "as long as you like". That way everyone would know that the agreement would be regularly reviewed based on needs of the tenant and the tenants behaviour. The ability to get a council house should be based on your needs while you have the house not at a single point in time. It makes absolutely no sense to have a single parent living in a three bedroom house when the kids have left home. I don't consider people who are given council houses spongers but everyone should live within their own circumstances. If my income drops then I'd have to move to a smaller / cheaper house - it's only fair that people who receive state assistance also have to have their circumstances taken into account and move when they change.

Hard to argue with. The reasoning behind it seems sound, it is the implementation I'm wary of.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I agree to a certain extent, but maybe not quite so harsh , I dont think it's fair for people to be unsure if they will still be in a house from one year to the next, the reason we are in this position is definitely partly due to right to buy, a terrible policy in my view.

PS I couldnt miss out my oblgatory mention of immigrants and asylum seekers taking up social housing :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Mate of mine has a 3 bed council house and both his kids have grown up and moved out.

this is pretty common, from houses to flats. then there are those that stay on the council list after leaving an area and sub-letting to others (some at mates rates, some at near-commercial). wasnt there a case of a copper subletting his Westminster council drum and living in france recently? then theres those living in council homes while earning 30k, 40k plus, including Union leaders (Bob Crow).

face it, the council housing system is screwed and rotten, and desperatly need of change.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I agree to a certain extent, but maybe not quite so harsh , I dont think it's fair for people to be unsure if they will still be in a house from one year to the next, the reason we are in this position is definitely partly due to right to buy, a terrible policy in my view.

PS I couldnt miss out my oblgatory mention of immigrants and asylum seekers taking up social housing :lolol:

The right to buy is indeed to daft policy unless the money received from the sale of a council house is used to build new ones.

I'm intrigued in your issue about people not knowing if they will have their current house from one year to the next given your stated aim of being a B2L landlord - you'll be using Shorthold Tenancy Agreements which will mean you gave give fairly short notice on your tenants to get out. The difference between mi idea for council housing and your rentals being that the council will assess needs while you can give any old excuse you like !

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
this is pretty common, from houses to flats. then there are those that stay on the council list after leaving an area and sub-letting to others (some at mates rates, some at near-commercial). wasnt there a case of a copper subletting his Westminster council drum and living in france recently? then theres those living in council homes while earning 30k, 40k plus, including Union leaders (Bob Crow).

face it, the council housing system is screwed and rotten, and desperatly need of change.
I certainly dont think that people earning 30/40 k should be excluded from council housing

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Sounds sensible, but you have to consider a few social aspects.

Proximity to family members for childcare, elderly care etc is often very important to people. Knowing they can be shunted across town, or to another town is not really going to help them here. How do you instil a sense of pride in houses and or neighbourhoods ? There are still huge numbers of council houses that are beautifully cared for, because the tenants take pride in their own homes. Short term tenancy areements risk breaking this bond.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here