Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Barnes starts on Saturday...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
...is there any danger of him being BACKED by our support, and not booed? He was absolute turd on Saturday of course, but was absolutely slaughtered for it. So much so, that he looked like a broken man when he was taken off - I really felt for him.

In fact, to the many many complete mongs who scream dogs abuse at players when they play shit (as opposed to groaning or laughing at the ineptitude) need to realise that when a player is having a shit game, they tend to know about it themselves. They don't need numpties abusing them for it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I reckon he will start. Double marking Zaha with Painter (if Bridge not fit)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wonder if, since zaha is such a threat, barnes would play even if Bridge is fit.

I think it's a game v palace, there should be no room for moaning at our own players.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Our away fans will be more supportive, I hope.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
...is there any danger of him being BACKED by our support, and not booed? He was absolute turd on Saturday of course, but was absolutely slaughtered for it. So much so, that he looked like a broken man when he was taken off - I really felt for him.

In fact, to the many many complete mongs who scream dogs abuse at players when they play shit (as opposed to groaning or laughing at the ineptitude) need to realise that when a player is having a shit game, they tend to know about it themselves. They don't need numpties abusing them for it.

Probably not. And you're absolutely right. When I'm having a bad day at work, I know I'm having a bad day at work. And when I've got people moaning at me that I'm having a bad day it work, it really doesn't help. And I only have a maximum of about 4 people moaning at me. Imagine what it's like with 25,000. The only thing I really think it is fair to give your own players proper stick for is a lack of effort, and nobody could accuse Barnes of that.

I would have thought he'll be back for Palace, we need to be a solid unit going there, and he is exactly the kind of player we need. Wouldn't surprise me if he scores and important penalty, again.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Exactly. I have never had cause to believe that Barnes has ever given anything less than 100% whenever he has played. Sure he has had a few bad games, but so have almost all the rest of the players.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When I'm having a bad day at work, I know I'm having a bad day at work. And when I've got people moaning at me that I'm having a bad day it work, it really doesn't help. And I only have a maximum of about 4 people moaning at me. Imagine what it's like with 25,000.

Small point of order - it was nothing like 25,000 screaming at him ridiculously on Saturday. I've no idea how many it was, and that's the problem - it doesn't take many for a player's morale to be sapped. As I say, it was awful watching him come off, he looked a bit of a mess and went straight down the tunnel. Sad scenes for someone who has been a hardworking, decent player for us for nearly 3 years now.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Quite agree. Bloke next to me in the west upper can't wait to have a go at Barnes each week, the minute he puts a foot wrong, to such an extent it nearly caused a ruck with the fella in front of him. Some fans at the Albion seem to need to have a whipping boy, always been the case. Used to be Wendy Wilkins once.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I hope he does not start on Saturday, not for any other reason than that its a negative team if he does, like the look of CMS and Hoskins up front and let the defence take care of Zaha. You might as well put Calderon in the "Barnes Role" if we are that worried about him, he gets forward as much and arguble a better finisher.

Barnes to come off bench if need be.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Personally, I think a small section and I mean a small section, of our fans are an utter disgrace. And this is not specifically in relation to Barnes. I have about 6 people who sit around me in WSL that spend 90 minutes giving dogs abuse to our own players irrespective of how we're playing with the only break being when we score.

As I said in another post, if Harley if playing, he's target no.1; if Barnes is playing, he's target no. 2; CMS, no.3; Greer, no.4; Kuszczak, no.5 it seems. And essentially its a pecking order. So if Barnes plays but Harley doesn't (which is likely), Barnes gets hammered for 90 minutes irrespective of performance and the rest get let off. If Harley and Barnes aren't playing, CMS gets the abuse etc etc...

This is from guys in their late 50's and 60's. Two of them, Statler and Waldorf as I call them, are the worst though, no joy, just endless criticism. We don't get on because I disagree with their endless berating of our players and they don't agree with my defence of them. Probably because I feel the need to over-defend our players now-and-then to get my point across.

Right, rant over. On to Saturday. Personally I think we'll be back to the team that beat Bolton with Bridge in for Painter...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hope he does not start on Saturday, not for any other reason than that its a negative team if he does, like the look of CMS and Hoskins up front and let the defence take care of Zaha. You might as well put Calderon in the "Barnes Role" if we are that worried about him, he gets forward as much and arguble a better finisher.

Barnes to come off bench if need be.
We're away to the team in second place, and who have probably the most coveted attacking player in the division. And you don't want us to be defensive?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I'd want/expect Barnes to be back on Saturday. Will need his defensive skills and despite recent performances in front of goal, can never be discounted for scoring a goal or two because of the positions he gets himself into. So would go with a front 3 of Barnes/CMS/Buckley with Dobbie/Hoskins on the bench.

Really hope Bridge starts as worried about Painter against Zaha/Bolasie.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Booing and abuse should be reserved in extremis for players cheating the team and fans, not for someone having a bad game, or on a poor run of form.

When a player is trying, properly trying, and things aren't coming off, I have absolutely no idea what the purpose or function of booing is, aside from maybe making a few airheads feel better about themselves.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'd want/expect Barnes to be back on Saturday. Will need his defensive skills and despite recent performances in front of goal, can never be discounted for scoring a goal or two because of the positions he gets himself into. So would go with a front 3 of Barnes/CMS/Buckley with Dobbie/Hoskins on the bench.

This. He's also become a far more physical nuisance for the opposition defenders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here