Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child Benefit Changes

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Anyone else received the details of the changes from 07th January next year.......

Looks like Dragons Den for me - I'm out

:(:(:(

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Yep and me.

I don't mind missing out if it is fairly done but a couple both earning £49,000 each a year get to keep their child benefit but we lose ours with a single income well below the income of the couple still claiming theirs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yep and me.

I don't mind missing out if it is fairly done but a couple both earning £49,000 each a year get to keep their child benefit but we lose ours with a single income well below the income of the couple still claiming theirs.

Exactly where we are as well, oh well

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's dreadful. How on earth are you going to pay for the Mini's skiing trip now?

Err, I have paid for it already since you asked

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Yup - the equivalent of a £2000 pay cut. Nice.

Glad the bloke at the end of the road keeps his benefits, must be expensive being at home all day doing f-all.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So your households have someone earning more than £60k and you think you should get child benefit ? REALLY !!??!!??!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the answer to all this nonsence is means testing or taxing benefits.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So your households have someone earning more than £60k and you think you should get child benefit ? REALLY !!??!!??!!

But is it right that two people earning just under 50k each get to keep it, whereas one earning 60k loses it?

IMO, it's an outdated benefit anyway, but surely it should be the household's total income that is takn into account?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yup - the equivalent of a £2000 pay cut. Nice.

Glad the bloke at the end of the road keeps his benefits, must be expensive being at home all day doing f-all.

so you got 2.5 kids?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
the answer to all this nonsence is means testing or taxing benefits.

I agree although I think some consideration should be made to harmonise the taxing and benefits of individuals. By that I mean, if you're taxed as an individual then your benefits should be calculated as an individual. If you're taxed as a couple then benefits should be calculated as a couple.

Currently you're taxed as an individual but benefits are calculated as a couple - highly unfair.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
But is it right that two people earning just under 50k each get to keep it, whereas one earning 60k loses it?

IMO, it's an outdated benefit anyway, but surely it should be the household's total income that is takn into account?

Exactly. I don't mind losing it but it needs to be fair to everyone and not penalise some but not others.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton

Didn't say that, I think no-one should get it.

Fairs, fair. Live within your means.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Once again I agree - my post #13 would cover the unfairness.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I still think the whole think is grossly unfair on single people without kids.

I don't get why we pay people to have kids?

Who's going to look after you when you're old then? Having kids is expensive, even if one is sensible and one lives within one's means. It is to the benefit of society at large if children do not grow up in (relative) poverty. That's not to say that the system has been satisfactory.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I still think the whole think is grossly unfair on single people without kids.

I don't get why we pay people to have kids?

I might be wrong, but surely child benefit was to ensure children of less well off couples didn't suffer poverty - even when I was single I wouldn't have begrudged couples getting money to ensure children were well fed and clothed ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here