Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Hooliganism in the 70's - any views?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'm doing a dissertation on football hooliganism and how the government and laws have changed since the 60's/70's to the present.

I'm just starting on the 70's and the 'casuals' sub culture. I'm going to be focusing alot more on the law (doing a law degree) in the later chapters eg. 90's onwards but the first one is really just a good foundation to start from with the football specials and other stuff the govt. tried to do.

Anyone have any views? Memories? Anything from any decade would do nicely really just for future reference, first hand witnesses are always best :banana:

Cheers!

:)

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I was between 2 and 12 in the 70's, so no. Early/Mid to late eighties was the 'casuals'. :banana:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Less chance of arrest; more oppurtunities for chaps to have a toe to toe with other like minded individuals from opposing teams. No organized meets, just a look at the fixture list & train timetables & you knew where & when it would happen.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Less chance of arrest; more oppurtunities for chaps to have a toe to toe with other like minded individuals from opposing teams. No organized meets, just a look at the fixture list & train timetables & you knew where & when it would happen.

And to add no/little CCTV.. If you didn't get nicked at the time you had nothing to worry about.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sorry if this makes me sound like a dick but as it's your dissertation I'd get rid of the apostrophe in "70's".

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
err there was a lot of it about

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Of your looking for a Brighton perspective, look for a book called "a casual look". Loads of pics & stories from Brighton fans & others. Also goes into the Internationals a bit as well. Let me know if you struggle to find a copy.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'm doing a dissertation on football hooliganism and how the government and laws have changed since the 60's/70's to the present.

I'm just starting on the 70's and the 'casuals' sub culture. I'm going to be focusing alot more on the law (doing a law degree) in the later chapters eg. 90's onwards but the first one is really just a good foundation to start from with the football specials and other stuff the govt. tried to do.

Anyone have any views? Memories? Anything from any decade would do nicely really just for future reference, first hand witnesses are always best :banana:

Cheers!

:)

You can argue a bout decades but the biggest impacts, legal and otherwise came in the 80's.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The casual culture I think really started around late 83 early 84 , rumour had it around the time that Liverpool fans when to Rome for the 83 European cup final and looted a few designer sports shops while rampaging through the city . On arrival back home Liverpool fans started wearing the gear stolen such as Lacoste , Fila and Sergio Tachinni and the rest followed this is only a rumour but quite a strong one

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
The casual culture I think really started around late 83 early 84 , rumour had it around the time that Liverpool fans when to Rome for the 83 European cup final and looted a few designer sports shops while rampaging through the city . On arrival back home Liverpool fans started wearing the gear stolen such as Lacoste , Fila and Sergio Tachinni and the rest followed this is only a rumour but quite a strong one

Quite a lot of truth in that rumor.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I wore all the gear around 84 and all the lads I was going around with at the time were in agreement about that's how it started ,somebody might have other views about it but that was the word on the street

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

I've got my uncles Burberry "Harrington style"jacket that he used to wear to football in the early 80s. I never wear it, but can't bear to get rid of it! it's not in bad nick for a 30yr old bit of clobber!!!

Must have cost him and absolute fortune back then!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The "Casuals" were NOT in the 70s.

The 70s were skinheads, suedeheads, bootboys, mods and no doubt other names long forgotten by me. Casuals took over from the mods revivalists in the 80s.

Oh, and it was a great time to follow Brighton!

Jan 30, 2008
Of your looking for a Brighton perspective, look for a book called "a casual look". Loads of pics & stories from Brighton fans & others. Also goes into the Internationals a bit as well. Let me know if you struggle to find a copy.
mainly pictures though , need a bit more info ???

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
it was going as early as 1981, casual wasnt all tracksuits, diamond pringles , farahs and lois jeans were a major part as well.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I've got my uncles Burberry "Harrington style"jacket that he used to wear to football in the early 80s. I never wear it, but can't bear to get rid of it! it's not in bad nick for a 30yr old bit of clobber!!!

Must have cost him and absolute fortune back then!

I think i was wearing a harrington around 1974.

Jan 30, 2008
plenty of books out there to read, all the usual we done this we done that spill ,ANYONE WORTH THEIR SALT DON'T NEED TO READ BOOKS :rolleyes:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Hooligans in the early 70's were younger 14-20ish also thinner and had as many as 6/7 scarves at a time,you could take an end just by larger numbers and rep,mobs would often be up 500 strong but less actual fighting was needed.
There was lots of running and shouting this was called rampaging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here