Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non commuters - most annoying thing

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
If I'm asleep across 2 seats then commuter or not you had better not f***ing wake me up.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I would add sitting on the seat near the aisle leaving the empty seat next to the window, hoping that no-one will ask you to get up. But if you're a regular commuter and get 'hugely pissed off' by this kind of stuff, you're not going to be long for this world.

I always try to sit in an aisle seat - not particularly bothered if there's anyone next to the window or not, or if I have to get up to let people in - I just prefer the aisle - I don't like to feel trapped on the inside.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Nothing like a bit of venting first thing in the morning... The thing that annoys me has to be those who not just use a mobile on the train but also a hands free kit for which they then HOLD the microphone for? The clue is in tht title...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One from me... People who would rather pile all their bags we etc under their seat/feet than use the luggage rack. This invariably leads to leg congestion a they have to borrow some of my precious under table space to compensate.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
People who give me angry looks when I use the precious under-table space to place my bag, laptop and coat because I have a slipped disc and can't reach up to the rack for fear of making it worse.

Also the lovely people on the train back from palace who wouldn't believe me when I said a bad back (well he's young, he must just be lazy) and left me crippled for days after sitting on the floor all the way to Haywards Heath. Thanks to the chaps that lifted me up off the floor!

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Commuting couples.

There are two type - the long time/married couple who share whole aspects of their domestic life with the whole train carriage - I once endured a one-hour commute listening to detailed menu plans for the next weekend's dinner party.

The other type are the newly-in-love couple. Bimbling along, hand in hand, when everyone else is trying to move quickly at stations, then the sad, long drawn-out parting with snog - usually blocking the ticket gate or the top of the escalator.

Grrrrr!

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Has anyone mentioned the numerous fuckwits who get off the train or escalator and immediately stop to unfold/extend their bag on wheels - ignoring the fact that there's a whole queue of people behind them trying to get off said train or escalator?

DavidWatts

Nov 12, 2011
Mid Sussex
One from me... People who would rather pile all their bags we etc under their seat/feet than use the luggage rack. This invariably leads to leg congestion a they have to borrow some of my precious under table space to compensate.

This. Also people who use London Bridge services & change at E Croydon for Victoria - catch your own bloody train, there aren't enough seats already without you lot, there's bloody loads of half-empty Victoria services to choose from ffs. Oh, and people who sneeze without a tissue spreading their germs around the carriage.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I once wrote an extensive list of train commuting annoyances here

Yes I know it's a shameless plug but at least it's on (this) topic! :)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
People who talk continuously on their mobiles the entire journey home and despite commuting most days, still seem surprised when they lose reception in a tunnel.

This

And people who have phones/cameras that beep when you press a button and beep away for hours

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This

And people who have phones/cameras that beep when you press a button and beep away for hours

Why would ANYONE leave on the button beep option, it's the first thing I turn off whenever I get a new mobile. Do people not think about anyone else ? How can you sit there going beep, beep, beep and not be conscious of it annoying others ?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I spend 4 hours a day commuting. I feel all your pain. Naturally I've picked up quite a few peeves over the years.

• People that talk loudly on their mobile phones.
  • People that think it's okay to play loud music through their earphones.
  • People that sit opposite you slurping their morning tea and chewing loudly with their mouths open.
  • Fat people. Bashing you as they walk through the aisle, or taking up too much room on the seats.
  • Youffs. What is it with kids these days, loud mouthed, swearing, no manners.
  • Smokers. When someone sits next to you after just having put one out, it stinks!!
  • People that huff and puff when you ask to sit at the window when they're in the aisle seat. If you don't want to get your fat ass up, move the f*** along and sit by the window
  • Kissing couples. Do one!
  • People with kids that let them run all around the carriage. Winds me up.

I think that will do for now... :rolleyes:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I spend 4 hours a day commuting. I feel all your pain. Naturally I've picked up quite a few peeves over the years.
People with kids that let them run all around the carriage. Winds me up.

That must be a Victoria commute, we rarely see kids on the London Bridge route, fortunately.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Girls with short skirts who keep pulling them down when they go up the escalator. Fecking infuriating especially when I am below them.
People who get in front of me when I am trying to look up skirts of girls on the escalator above me.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Gatwick Airport! Why do you [figuratively, obvious alll NSCers are too clever to make this mistake] stand directly in front of the door waiting to get on? If you don't move, I can't get off and give you the space to get on!

Trains that have the button in the middle of the door don't help, but they all have glass windows so you can see if there's someone waiting to get off, are you really so stupid as to not realise its you who has to move?!

Much as I think this is common sense, almost all stations in London (over- and under- ground) make announcements about standing clear of the doors and yet at Gatwick they don't.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

• People that talk loudly on their mobile phones.
  • People that think it's okay to play loud music through their earphones.
  • People that sit opposite you slurping their morning tea and chewing loudly with their mouths open.
  • Fat people. Bashing you as they walk through the aisle, or taking up too much room on the seats.
  • Youffs. What is it with kids these days, loud mouthed, swearing, no manners.
  • Smokers. When someone sits next to you after just having put one out, it stinks!!
  • People that huff and puff when you ask to sit at the window when they're in the aisle seat. If you don't want to get your fat ass up, move the f*** along and sit by the window
  • Kissing couples. Do one!
  • People with kids that let them run all around the carriage. Winds me up.

I think that will do for now... :rolleyes:

This, and this, and this, and this, and this....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bloody tourists. and by tourists i mean anyone not a commuter or Londoner (in sate of mind). Its a busy place, people got to be somewhere, thats the point of traveling, so get moving.

Victoria on school holidays and Fridays is terrible, people just gormlessly wandering and stopping randomly or hanging around without a clue, treating the place like its a destination in itself. i dream of commuting to/from London Bridge, where it tends to be tourist free and people understand to just f***ing get on with the business of moving from a to b.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here