Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lord Gus - A word of advice from a ex-England manager

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Gus, we have wingers most clubs in this divsion would die for - Vicente, LuaLua, Assulin, Noone, Buckley,

We have great holding midfielders - Bridcutt, Navarro, Razak, Dicker, Sparrow

We have a potenial lethal strike force in Vokes and CMS that make Murray/Barnes partnership look like Little and Large to Vokes/CMS The Two Ronnies

Pick two from each paragraph and please take advice and follow the tactics of a great ex-England manager

. ..... :D
:D:D:D:D
:D:D:D:D
..... :D:D

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Okay Gus.

Nearly there. You've finally got the two. You always had the first four.

Now listen to Mike again as he spells it out, and maybe on Tuesday ... just do it :lol: (Runs to the bomb shelter:p):ohmy:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
If Gus is such a crap manager, I'd love to know some people's views on Mark McGhee, Micky Adams II, Russell Slade, Martin Hinshelwood, Dean Wilkins et al.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
If Gus is such a crap manager, I'd love to know some people's views on Mark McGhee, Micky Adams II, Russell Slade, Martin Hinshelwood, Dean Wilkins et al.
Never stood a chance. Shit to the point it was embarrasing. Did a job. Shit. Never given a fair crack.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Is he really going to take advice from someone who thinks Matt Sparrow is a 'holding midfielder'? Do you even know what a 'holding midfielder' is?

Such drivel.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
:lolol: i like the way you've put the argument. and its partially true, given the players available we should probably be playing that way. i'd rather see 4132 or 433, though this requires a really good player for the holding midfield, which we have in Bridcutt, but are the understudies up to it? we then need a bit more direct motion once in posession, a few too many side/back passes giving the opposition time to regroup. another option is 4411 with Vicente in the deep role.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Still waiting for Gus to employ the magic mushroom formation:

--------------------------------CMS--------------------------------
----------------VOKES---------------------- BARNES-------------
LUA LUA ----------VICENTE--------- NOONE---------- BUCKLEY
-----------------------DICKER ---BRIDCUTT----------------------

-------------------------------GREER------------------------------

--------------------------------BREZ-------------------------------

That's what I would do, but then I am an idiot and am prepared to admit it. (although, under my management on CM 2000/01, Brighton won the Prem at least 20 times, Champs League 10 times etc etc) :rolleyes:

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Still waiting for Gus to employ the magic mushroom formation:

--------------------------------CMS--------------------------------
----------------VOKES---------------------- BARNES-------------
LUA LUA ----------VICENTE--------- NOONE---------- BUCKLEY
-----------------------DICKER ---BRIDCUTT----------------------

-------------------------------GREER------------------------------

--------------------------------BREZ-------------------------------

That's what I would do, but then I am an idiot and am prepared to admit it. (although, under my management on CM 2000/01, Brighton won the Prem at least 20 times, Champs League 10 times etc etc) :rolleyes:

Like Peterborough last year?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
442 is DEAD. Long live er, anything else!
By the way how can you have 442 with a holding midfielder? That would be 4132.

No system in football is ever dead. If you have better players than the opposition to play that formation..It's called tactics and managment, you play the best formation with the players you have at your disposal. I mean you would not see Barcelona playing Messi at right back or as a target man alone up front.

Today we will be playing 4 4 f***ing 2!!!!!!!!

Didn't Arsenal play 4-4-2 when they went a season unbeaten...and when asked in a interview last season Poyet actually stated publicly that 4-4-2 was his favorite formation if he had the players to play it in the right way...God knows what players he had in mind.???

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
When you start picking a side to stop the opposition playing, instead of playing to your own strengths you are already beaten i'm afraid.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When you start picking a side to stop the opposition playing, instead of playing to your own strengths you are already beaten i'm afraid.

Mourinho did exactly that when managing Inter v Barcelona and it worked, so you are incorrect.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Spot on kev,gus is always focused on clean sheets and that rarely happens of late,I have also said our strengths are attack and looking at the players we have it's obvious to see.

Im sure gus knows what he wants for next season but my concern is will our brilliant wingers etc be happy to keep sitting on the bench?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here