Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England's centre back pairing

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
As the great and good of NSC have decided that John Terry isn't good enough regardless of off-field antics, I'd be intrigued to see who you think should replace him and what the pairing should be?

Who is good enough to replace a two-footed, multi-title winning fantastic reader of the game?

Jagielka?
Cahill?
Dawson?
Lescott?
Jones?
Ferdinand?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Jagielka and Jones.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As the great and good of NSC have decided that John Terry isn't good enough regardless of off-field antics, I'd be intrigued to see who you think should replace him and what the pairing should be?

Who is good enough to replace a two-footed, multi-title winning fantastic reader of the game?

Jagielka?
Cahill?
Dawson?
Lescott?
Jones?
Ferdinand?

Wow, you really have the hots for (C)JT(C) don't you?

I notice you left out the fact he is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too slow at the top level. See: Germany 4 - 1 England. He was AWFUL.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Jagielka?
Cahill?
Dawson?
Lescott?
Jones?
Ferdinand?

Now it all becomes clear to me, the whole ManUtd thing, I hadn't clocked what your real allegiance was till now. Very amusing. This is what, your 4th John Terry thread in as many days? Brilliant.

2 footed, is that in the challenge, or do you mean with the ball!?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Wow, you really have the hots for (C)JT(C) don't you?

I notice you left out the fact he is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too slow at the top level. See: Germany 4 - 1 England. He was AWFUL.

What are your thoughts then? I'm sure we could all point out games where individuals have underperformed. I agree he is not the quickest but he plays against some of the quickest players in the world week in week out in the Premiership, and in that particulare game he was hung out to dry by Matthew Upson and Gareth Barry on numerous occasions.

I haven't got much time for John Terry the man, I just don't like the way people judge him as a player based upon their dislike for the man. What I wrote about him above is completely true; despite common misconceptions he is actually a fantastic "footballer" in the broadest sense of the word. There is no-on else in the side as two footed as him for starters.

The alternatives don't fill me with ANY confidence whatsoever.

Cahill - Part of the worst defense in the league for the majority of the season
Jagielka - Solid, but again no real experience of playing at the top level
Jones - Will be an absolute class act once he plays CB regularly
Dawson - horrendous ball player
Lescott - error prone
Ferdinand - one of the best in his day, unfotrunately he liable to f*** up at any given moment

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Now it all becomes clear to me, the whole ManUtd thing, I hadn't clocked what your real allegiance was till now. Very amusing. This is what, your 4th John Terry thread in as many days? Brilliant.

2 footed, is that in the challenge, or do you mean with the ball!?

2nd thread actually.See above.

Some actual thoughts would be appreciated as would any evidence at all that I am in any way a Chelsea fan.

PS - it's only the second thread :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What are your thoughts then? I'm sure we could all point out games where individuals have underperformed. I agree he is not the quickest but he plays against some of the quickest players in the world week in week out in the Premiership, and in that particulare game he was hung out to dry by Matthew Upson and Gareth Barry on numerous occasions.

I haven't got much time for John Terry the man, I just don't like the way people judge him as a player based upon their dislike for the man. What I wrote about him above is completely true; despite common misconceptions he is actually a fantastic "footballer" in the broadest sense of the word. There is no-on else in the side as two footed as him for starters.

Lescott - error prone
Ferdinand - one of the best in his day, unfotrunately he liable to f*** up at any given moment

Fair points all. However, I think you can take into account when selecting a side whether a player is a disruptive influence or a divisive figure. I think most would agree John Terry is.

For my money, I would possibly go with Lescott and Jagielka as, while I don't rate either of them that highly as individuals, they seem to have a superb understanding and work very well together.

Yup. Barry was embarrassingly out of his depth against the Germans.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Let's get Ledley King fit - he's the best defender we have, just a shame he's crocked so much

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Fair points all. However, I think you can take into account when selecting a side whether a player is a disruptive influence or a divisive figure. I think most would agree John Terry is.

For my money, I would possibly go with Lescott and Jagielka as, while I don't rate either of them that highly as individuals, they seem to have a superb understanding and work very well together.

Yup. Barry was embarrassingly out of his depth against the Germans.

Agree on all of that. His position in the side is pretty much untenable now. I just find it disappointing because he is still the best CB we have.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Lewis Dunk.

It's time.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Hart,
Walker, King/Jagielka, Jones, Cole
Milner, Parker, Gerrard, Young,
Rooney
Bent

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
2nd thread actually.See below.

Some actual thoughts would be appreciated as would any evidence at all that I am in any way a Chelsea fan.

PS - it's only the second thread :thumbsup:

This is the first time ever in my life I have been accused of exaggeration!

In being constructive however, clearly playing JT will mean it would be difficult to pick Rio. Rio is having a terrible time staying fit, and it would be a surprise if he makes it to the end of the season injury free.

Terry's biggest weakness now (which has been highlighted a few times this season, most notably by Arsenal) is his lack of pace on the turn, and as with the Germany game, he seems unable to keep in proximity to his other centre half. The same thing happened with Upson as is happening with Luiz, either he is not talking, or he's not realising that he's leaving gaps oil tankers could manoeuvre through. As the senior player, the positioning of the defence is really down to him if he is the leader he is meant to be.

If Ferdinand is fit, and has played the majority of the run-in, I think you would have to pick him as his liability to f*** up is no more or less than Terry himself. I don't think Jones or Smalling are ready for a major tournament at CB, but I'd take one or both as they are versatile can both do a really good job at FB, or in Jones' case midfield.

That would leave me with Cahill at CB who I think out of Jagielka, Dawson and Lescott is the best of that bunch, but he would definitely need a long run in the Chelsea team, especially in the CL to prove that assumption and drop your initial comment about him being in the worse defence in the league.

So, really, I'm saying there are a lot of if's and but's before the squad is announced, but I'd be thinking Rio - Cahill right now.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Lescott - error prone

FWIW, my current anti-JT stance started with me realising he was no longer a good enough player, maybe 1 or 2 years ago, everything else about him personally has just driven home my dislike of him - so it started with ability then became personal. For the record, I think Rio was a far, far better defender than JT ever was, but I don't know if his legs are up to it any more. Would love to see King playing, but we all knows his problems. All being fit, I'd go with Rio & Jones, but Jagielka and Jones doesn't bother me very much. If Ledley can play, all the better.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Adam El Abd was part of a shambolic relegation bound league one side. Is he shit too?

No but to be fair Adam has improved MASSIVELY since then. Beyond all recognition. Has Cahill improved beyond all recognition in the last month or so?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
If that is the worst thing you say about Cahill then he will do for me.

Adam El Abd was part of a shambolic relegation bound league one side. Is he shit too?

Bit of a ridiculous comparison TBF.

At that time, of course plenty of people thought he was shit. Cahill has been very average all season. Hopefully playing for a big club will help him.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
FWIW, my current anti-JT stance started with me realising he was no longer a good enough player, maybe 1 or 2 years ago, everything else about him personally has just driven home my dislike of him - so it started with ability then became personal. For the record, I think Rio was a far, far better defender than JT ever was, but I don't know if his legs are up to it any more. Would love to see King playing, but we all knows his problems. All being fit, I'd go with Rio & Jones, but Jagielka and Jones doesn't bother me very much. If Ledley can play, all the better.

A bit harsh there I think. Terry doesn't make any obvious mistakes other than being a bit slow. He reads the game so well too; a facet of his game that goes largely unnoticed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here