Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
On a more sacrilegious note - I've decided to move to the dark side and commit some multi-sport heresy!! Anyone on here have any experience of moving from cycling to triathlon?

What's you swimming like? For a huge majority of people that seems to be the area that they consider themselves weakest at, it's also probably the one that requires the most technique training. Therefore I would definitely recommend coaching, especially at the beginning so that you train using the correct techniques.

That being said, especially as you move up the distances the swimming becomes by far the smallest proportion of the event and even if you are poor, you're not going to lose that much time relatively. For example at an Ironman distance event the time between the best a worst swimmers is probably only around an hour or so, but the difference in marathon times could be 3 hours plus.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
What's you swimming like? For a huge majority of people that seems to be the area that they consider themselves weakest at, it's also probably the one that requires the most technique training. Therefore I would definitely recommend coaching, especially at the beginning so that you train using the correct techniques.

That being said, especially as you move up the distances the swimming becomes by far the smallest proportion of the event and even if you are poor, you're not going to lose that much time relatively. For example at an Ironman distance event the time between the best a worst swimmers is probably only around an hour or so, but the difference in marathon times could be 3 hours plus.
I was in a swimming club from 8 to 11 so the basics are there somewhere.

Thought I might jump in and time myself over race distance to see where I am.

On a more sacrilegious note - I've decided to move to the dark side and commit some multi-sport heresy!! Anyone on here have any experience of moving from cycling to triathlon?
If the teaboy is anything to go by, it's a vital step you have to go through in the process of ... giving up swimming.

Sorry, Dan.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Also, I suppose open water will be quite a challenge. The sprint is only a 400m pool swim, 13.5m bike and 4.8k run so even less swimming than usual!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The triathlon I did was open water. My mistake was using cheap goggles, which fogged up and my viability was only about 3 feet in front of me until the last 100 meters. That meant I had to follow someone else's swimming cap the whole way, because I couldn't see the big red marker bhoys. Probably cost me 3-4 minutes overall as I pootled around with the slower group rather than overtaking and being forced to remove my goggles to see where to go.

It would seem that, as with most things, you get what you pay for with swimming goggles.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey just because [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] has had a quiet NSC summer actually out doing stuff, doesn't mean you can take advantage.

They'll be a lot of thumbs down (on Geeks, :ohmy:) dished out, mark my words.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Shouldn't all this chatter be happening in some sort of 'Triathlon Geeks' thread. Goodness me. Sodden Aussie Rules looking chaps on bikes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Morning All. I've finally joined the road bike massive, after a few years of "pootling" with my family on hybrid bikes. Got the bug when my knees said no more running and football, and last week got a Boardman road bike, near the bottom of the range, until I decide if I'm dedicated enough for something tastier!
I've ridden the last 10 miles each way of my commute this week, (first time in 18 years riding to work) and feeling fantastic.
Question to the experts. I opted for Shimano PD-R540 road pedals and road shoes, and am finding the getting in and out of them REALLY tricky! Had a fall off at traffic lights already, and felt a proper tit 'cause I couldn't twist out the pedals quick enough.
What do you use, and do you recommend sticking with these road pedals?
Thanks and looking forward to joining in.
Here's your cut out and keep guide to clipless pedal falls:-

Bare minimum - Rye smile, shake of head, then on your way.
Bronze - Frown, look at the floor, give your bike a quick once over, before heading off.
Silver - Jump up scream 'have I ripped my Assos shorts', then head off when reassured. (I've witnessed that)
Gold - Study your bike intently, ride off, only notice the blood and your collar bone at a right angle 3 miles down the road.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Also, I suppose open water will be quite a challenge. The sprint is only a 400m pool swim, 13.5m bike and 4.8k run so even less swimming than usual!

Sorry, yes, I meant to mention the open water element but got distracted by work!

It's definitely worth getting as many open water session as possible before you do an event. I considered myself a fairly decent swimmer (in the pool) but really struggled with open water for my first few sessions and first 'race'. Not only do you need to work on the additional techniques like sighting and turning at buoys, but it can feel very weird. Personally I found myself feeling very constricted in the wetsuit (they are supposed to be a tight fit) and with the cold dark murky water found myself panicking and found it difficult to control my breathing. Upon Googling I found this was very common among swimmers of all ability levels.

I did my last open water session in the evening when the sun was setting and could barely see anything due to the glare, so will be getting some tinted goggles.

I've actually found that were I live there is quite a big open water swimming community, a lot of people much prefer it to pool swimming. In many ways I suppose it is like riding your bike outdoors compared to indoors on a turbo/rollers. Its much more fun outdoors, but often easier to do the training drills indoors.

There's your first mistake, right there.

Your tumble should be viewed as a badge of honour, not the titism it actually is.

All roadies have done the same, anyone that says they haven't is lying or isn't a roadie.

With that in mind, welcome aboard.
If you stop learning from this thread, check your pulse.

Funny that, I too recently got a road bike n promptly fell off at a junction whilst struggling to get me shoes out of the pedal. Needless to say it's not happened since! !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll whisper this sacrilegious comment here, where nobody else will read it.

I was a knats goolie away from not going to the Bolton game on Saturday.

For reasons to convoluted to go into I now have a spanking new drivetrain on my carbon bike, and the drivetrain from that is on my Liquigas bike.

For reasons also convoluted I handed the work over to my LBS.
Glyn tells me both bikes are spot on, but the next 'window' for riding I have is Saturday.

Had the Albion been turned over again with a poor showing, last night, chances are I'd have blown them out in favour of a dream ride.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Funny that, I too recently got a road bike n promptly fell off at a junction whilst struggling to get me shoes out of the pedal. Needless to say it's not happened since! !
You're not out of the woods yet, I've definitely got 2 'moments' on my CV, it might even be 3.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1408460482409-1rm47aunusosh-700-80.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I opted for Shimano PD-R540 road pedals and road shoes, and am finding the getting in and out of them REALLY tricky! Had a fall off at traffic lights already, and felt a proper tit 'cause I couldn't twist out the pedals quick enough.
What do you use, and do you recommend sticking with these road pedals?
Thanks and looking forward to joining in.

:clap:

I've got the same combo and also went for a lay down on the pavement at the weekend.

Get a little screwdriver out and loosen where indicated.

Basically, assume you are going to fall so unclip in advance. It'll spare your blushes. I'll try and do the same...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Sorry, yes, I meant to mention the open water element but got distracted by work!

It's definitely worth getting as many open water session as possible before you do an event. I considered myself a fairly decent swimmer (in the pool) but really struggled with open water for my first few sessions and first 'race'. Not only do you need to work on the additional techniques like sighting and turning at buoys, but it can feel very weird. Personally I found myself feeling very constricted in the wetsuit (they are supposed to be a tight fit) and with the cold dark murky water found myself panicking and found it difficult to control my breathing. Upon Googling I found this was very common among swimmers of all ability levels.

I did my last open water session in the evening when the sun was setting and could barely see anything due to the glare, so will be getting some tinted goggles.

I've actually found that were I live there is quite a big open water swimming community, a lot of people much prefer it to pool swimming. In many ways I suppose it is like riding your bike outdoors compared to indoors on a turbo/rollers. Its much more fun outdoors, but often easier to do the training drills indoors.
Last question, lest I be banished from the geeks forever!

How much slower would you expect to go in the cycle/run in a tri compared to pb in the same distance alone.

You're not out of the woods yet, I've definitely got 2 'moments' on my CV, it might even be 3.

Too many pages to go back over so; by the sound of things you ride a lot? I'm trying to knock out a 100 miles a week to start to lose me beer belly! Are there a group of nsc cycle geeks that ride together at all?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Too many pages to go back over so; by the sound of things you ride a lot? I'm trying to knock out a 100 miles a week to start to lose me beer belly! Are there a group of nsc cycle geeks that ride together at all?
I ain't riding with them, splitters :lol:

We don't really ride en mass, obvious as a 'club' were a pretty disparate group, being Albion fans who cycle.

Check out our Strava page (my signature) from that you'll get a good idea as to who goes where, when and how quickly, then just take it from there.

Being from Southwick you might want to take a look at all the Coombes sections.
Some of us 'play' there as it seems to be on a fair few of our standard routes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here