Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am now seriously thinking about emigrating. But where to?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Am lucky to have travelled quite a bit and if I had a choice it would have to be New Zealand - it is quite ideal. About as far from the UK as you can get but feels like a chilled out version of Sussex. Shame they are so strict on immigration but then thats how they are able to keep it feeling good.

Only drawback is that the commute to/from The Amex might get a bit tiring.

talking to locals it seems that lots of US citizens discovered NZ after 9/11 and decided it would be a good refuge from the troubles of the world so property has become quite expensive, even if you can get a residents permit.

Wasn't keen on going to Oz enroute to NZ but was pleasantly surprised and wouldn't mind going back someday. Would avoid living in the tropical areas though 'cos of the heat and humidity plus the creepy crawlies and horrible nasties that live in the sea.....

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I'd go for Switzerland if I could get the family to move out there with me. Cheap flights back to Gatwick to get to the Amex, and the environment is far more pleasant than here. I'll give you an example: in 2001 we attended the Swiss National Day celebrations in Zweisimmen, a sort of district town for the area. The entire central square was plastered in wurst wrappings and beer bottles when the celebrations were over. We went back into the town early the next morning. The entire lot had gone and the place was back to normal again. The same year we went to Lewes to go Christmas shopping, and the place was covered in burger wrappings, beer bottles and vomit. The council workers didn't turn up until 10 am to clear up all the mess. Also, it has a superb transport system, both rail and road, without half the traffic we get here.

I'd go with this too. I visited a friend in Geneva a while back and fell in love with the country. It's like nowhere in England. Beautiful scenery, lively city, friendly people and everywhere is so unbelievably CLEAN. If I could afford to it, I'd love to end up there.

There are quite a few snobby rich kids, but once you get past that it's a fantastic place.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Nope. Many a Saturday did I spend driving back and forth across that bridge ;)

Interesting.

Admittedly however my only experience drinking in a bar in Denmark was in Christiania, and that was understandably cheaper than at the English themed pub in Kristianstad where a pint of Guinness cost over £7.

I probably shouldn't judge all of Denmark by Christiania though really

gizza25

Swedish Seagull
Jan 17, 2011
Lövestad/Sweden
Many Swedes take the boat to Germany from Trelleborg and stock up for the year. When you get to know the people here, a night out will usually start at someones house/flat where the beer and snaps will flow freely until about 11-12, then its out on the town. Its the norm here. And no one buys rounds like in UK, everyone buys there own beer which i couldnt understand at first? Miss the Albion badly, but i would hate to go back and live in UK again.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I have fallen back in love with the UK this summer all over again having spent a great year in Abu Dhabi, I think it is true that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Friends,family, great food and beautiful country side and seeing my team rise from the ashes. This country is expensive, disenfranchised, on the verge of another recession but in many ways is one of the best places in the world and I will certainly miss it when I head back out to AD in a couple of weeks.

Stay here you wet blanket, or just move to Cornwall they won't be having any riots down there, not that you have actually had any in Mansfield.
It's the whole anti-social behaviour and disrespectful attitude prevalent throughout this nation that I am wanting to get away from. Plus I want to be able to step on a bus or a train without the apprehension that my journey might be ruined by some inconsiderate oik. Cornwall would be one of the worst places to move to because it is an impoverished county yet has high property prices.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Seeing as most people live around the coast of Oz they don't see the really nasty bugs and beasties that live in the Bush (dunny spiders excepted) - could quite easily live in Australia, Canada or the Cape Region of Seth Efrica, haven't visited New Zealand yet....

If you can be bothered to learn another language, Italy would do me nicely, best combination of weather,scenery, food & wine plus a laid back populace (their economy is also on its arse but you don't catch them rioting do you?).

The never ending Soap Opera of their politicians also good for a laugh. :lolol:

Redback Spiders, nasty little fuckers who live under the house, in the shed or garage and even nest under kids bike seats if they are left idle for a while. One bite and you need to get to hospital quick smart. That said in 16 years I've never known anyone bitten by one and the red splodge on their backs is a very handy danger sign (so long as your'e not colour blind, like my son)....

Attachments

• redback.jpg
    redback.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 276

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Love it here and have done this past 16 years. The only time I've felt homesick was coming back here after last August's holiday and the again recently watching all the lead up to the Amex opening and remembering being with my folks and bro's and their kids last August - I'm hoping it will pass soon....

Stumpy Tim

Australia is a great place to live, and the talk of the creep crawlies etc is a ploy designed to stop everyone moving over there. BUT, after a while I found it got a little boring. You'll not have a different culture for 7 hours, and after a while you take the sun and beaches for granted.

They wouldn't accept someone in their 50's anyway to be honest. I am confident that in 12 months time you'll still be here. This seems like a reactionary thing based on a load of pikies rioting. It's not like it doesn't happen elsewhere.

For example, there are nasty gangs in NZ, and a bikie gang war in Australia

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Strangely, these riots may help Britain in the long-run. I would hope that the talking heads would discuss what went wrong, and begin to unravel some of the political and social decisions which brought all this about. Much of British culture has been eradicated by social thinking which has allowed minorities too much power. That old British Blitz spirit is still there, alongside our more general law-abiding nature, but it has been overshadowed by various other cultures, including youth and gang culture, which has turned Britain into a developing anarchy, which must be nipped in the bud.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd go for Switzerland if I could get the family to move out there with me. Cheap flights back to Gatwick to get to the Amex, and the environment is far more pleasant than here. I'll give you an example: in 2001 we attended the Swiss National Day celebrations in Zweisimmen, a sort of district town for the area. The entire central square was plastered in wurst wrappings and beer bottles when the celebrations were over. We went back into the town early the next morning. The entire lot had gone and the place was back to normal again. The same year we went to Lewes to go Christmas shopping, and the place was covered in burger wrappings, beer bottles and vomit. The council workers didn't turn up until 10 am to clear up all the mess. Also, it has a superb transport system, both rail and road, without half the traffic we get here.

Switzerland is probably the most sanitised and culturally bereft place I have ever visited. It's dull with a capital D. I'd die of boredom quite quickly.

Germany is my first choice, and I'll more than likely be heading back in a few years for another stint. New York would be a dream, Toronto is a damn fine city and my wife has just applied for a job in Valencia.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Any place that welcomes English tourists also speak good english. Of those Cyprus and Malta already have a lot of ex-pats and still close to home if needed.

I've lived in Cyprus and the heat does get monotonous but it's a good life.

Lewes Seagull

Jan 23, 2010
Canada every time. I have a sister, cousins, nieces, uncles and aunties living there. Been there for years. Would never come back, other than a short holiday. I just never got my arse in gear to take the plunge. One of lifes big regrets. (Also 50 years old)

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Its just bloody crazy now, and I have never seen anything like this in my life.
What sort of country are we living in where people are now getting together to protect their own neighborhoods? Am I still living in the UK anymore.

When the rioting ends what is this government going to do about it? Probably f*** all. I want this Tory government out now!!

My wife is a teacher and like she says time and time again, its a lack of discipline in the home first and foremost.
My wife is not allowed to discipline kids properly in the classroom because the rules state they are entitled to an education and they are the ones who have the rights.

And secondly many teachers are scared of losing their jobs, so they are too scared to discipline properly, just in case some of these kids make a complaint about them.

What she also tells me is the kids don't understand or want to understand what the word NO means anymore and have a total disrespect for authority. Nothing bothers them, and nothing scares them anymore.

My wife works hard trying to get these kids on the right path and get them to leave school with an education and some self respect but its an uphill struggle, especially the area she works in with high unemployment and lots of single parent families on benefits.

But what really makes my blood boil is these brain dead Tories in our government screwing around with teachers terms and conditions, ganging up on them and making them look like the bad guys to the rest of the general public because they have a pension.

I wish these f***ing Tory C*(ts would do us all a favour and f*** off.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
This list of English speaking countries includes those countries where English is an official language or is widely spoken:

Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Beliza
Botswana
Brunei
Cameroon
Canada
Dominica
Ethiopia
Fiji