Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what happened to the expected travel chaos?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The biggest issue seems to have been the time it took to get away from Bennetts Field and the University car parks - holding vehicles back from getting out of Bennetts Field would certainly help get buses and coaches out of the coach park.

And disabled parking certainly remains a problem.
That was caused all the hold ups Lord B,I had a 10 mile journey and did'nt get in till 7pm,the steward was not doing anything and just letting people get on with it as a free for all,if he let 10 go from queue,then 10 from another and 10 from the third queue traffic would have flowed much better...but it is a ramp up event so maybe things will improve.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
by train, from brighton at 13:40 (?) train was rammed. some tried to get on at London Road and Moulsecoomb, no chance.

stayed after the game for a beer, got the train ~1750 after a wait. train was half full already (seating wise) but the concourse cleared onto that train. ive been grounds you have to wait/walk an hour or more to get to civilsation, so seems not too bad. frustrating that only 4 car trains go through though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A really promising start for the club - if it goes anywhere near as well next week and they continue to learn from the experiences we are definitely on target for an 8K increase in capacity next season. Roll on next week and then the Gillingham evening match - now that will be a real test :)

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I left car park 3 in the Uni, started to go up the hill and saw traffic backed up for what was obviously a long way. A couple of cars started turning around so I did the same. I was stopped by some spotty faced oil of a steward who told me that they wanted all cars to leave from the other exit but 'this week you can go through'. Why on earth would they want to add to an already congested situation? I was the only vehicle leaving via the Stanmer Park exit and I was on the A27 a hell of a lot quicker than the poor sods using the other exit. if the Uni has more than one exit why not use them all? Doesn't make sense to do it the way they did yesterday

Very much agree. I can understand perhaps with the lack of footpaths that the powers that be want a one way system to be in operation but surely, SURELY common sense would take cars out via the Stanmer Park exit thereby avoiding all the rest of the traffic leaving the ground and helping to shift park and ride buses, taxis and Bennetts Field parkers faster. We actually managed to persuade a steward to let us use that exit and we were out and home in minutes. I notice a couple of questions have been asked to Insider about this and I'd be very interested in his replies and if he reads this - PLEASE change this system, it can only assist in getting more people out of the area faster and thereby helping the Albion achieve their transportation goals that they need to get the extra seats put in.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Encountered a slight issue / problem on the Brighton bound queue for the train.. quite a lot of fans (mainly Spurs) were climbing over the barriers to jump the queue which was naturally upsetting a few people. The stewards put up a feeble effort to stop it and as soon as the jumpers were approached they threatened the stewards who backed right off. All the while there were 8 police standing on the bridge... perhaps one or two might wish to relocate in future as it was getting a bit tasty and it may be a recurring problem.

hastings

Jan 15, 2010
Suffolk
Ended up near the back of the queue for mill road and in comparison to the years at withdean got bk to mill road about an ur later. Mill road certainly seemed the most popular. System did run smoothly although it took a little time. Main problem will be on a cold wet December afternoon.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Left at final whistle from WSU and caught 3rd train back to Brighton. Queue was well managed and we were away by 5:15. At Brighton caught the 5:49 to Clapham and then onto Watford Junction and MK by 8:15. Not a bad experiemce, avoided the underground and was home in just over 3 hours. Not sure if that was the quickest route home but happy with journey and was all seated. Test will be next Tuesday, could be a long night???

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
surely a good bet is to park in the university campus up coldean lane.

Loads of building work going on in there at the moment, no parking spaces at all. Will be interesting when the students all come back as they have been parking down Coldean Lane.

Maybe the club should be asking about the old army barracks on Lewes Road to extend the P&R while no one is building anything on there at the moment.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Loads of building work going on in there at the moment, no parking spaces at all. Will be interesting when the students all come back as they have been parking down Coldean Lane.

Maybe the club should be asking about the old army barracks on Lewes Road to extend the P&R while no one is building anything on there at the moment.

No need. Mithras House and Cockcroft car park opposite looked pretty quiet.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Got the train there just before half twelve and the train back about six. An absolute breeze (admittedly that was arriving early and leaving late). Don't tell anyone though or the carriages will be rammed next time :wink:

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton

I let the train take the strain....travelling East no problems well managed.

When at Withdean I always used Mithras P&R for 2 reasons.......NO queue for the bus after the game and no queue when leaving the car park (though a bit 'hairy' pulling out blind as the P&R bus blocked one's view)

Oi !! That's where I work. Preston Barracks is the operational base of about half a dozen businesses, some of which are in operation on Saturdays and in the evenings - including the organisation I manage.

The site has been used for football P&R in the past (when the Mithras House car park wasn't available, because of a University event). I can confirm, though, that no enquiries have been made by the Club to use the site on a permanent basis. For a variety of reasons, it's not ideal.

I was told last week, though, that the City Council is trying to help the Club find an extra site somewhere.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

Sshh! Don't tell everyone. They will all want to use these two. It was a joy to use yesterday. Better than Withdean days. I know in the past many of the Mithras House users came from Eastbourne/Polegate areas. Perhaps they are now trying the train instead.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I was VERY pleasantly surprised....we'd parked at Haywards Heath and took the train via Lewes. Perfect both ways. Falmer station is actually brilliant - is there a football ground in the UK with a closer railway station?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I was VERY pleasantly surprised....we'd parked at Haywards Heath and took the train via Lewes. Perfect both ways. Falmer station is actually brilliant - is there a football ground in the UK with a closer railway station?
Bescot station at Walsall must run it very close

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Where exactly are these P&Rs? I've always used Mill Road before, but these sound perfect! And I promise not to tell anyone else!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here