Votes: 136 61.8%
  • Nay

Votes: 84 38.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Who needs them and why ? They give some people a sense of self importance and they feel that being an 'NSC veteran' gives them some kind of status. Stop this JCL nonsense, a large post count means nothing. I never bother with them (and I would hazard a guess that I have one of the higher counts).

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
a. I don't need a post count to tell me if someone is posting complete and utter bollox
b. Complete and utter bollox isn't the exclusive preserve of the newbies!

Hypersensitve newbie alert 2

a) I said "gives you a clue". This is particularly useful for things like transfer rumours or when suddenly 10 different threads are started by the same person
b) I would be the last person to disagree with that.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Replace the numbers with named categories, beginning with the JCL category for new members, and ending with the super-fan category for the top 5% (or whatever) of post counts (which are hidden).

Now that does make a lot of sense, good suggestion.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I say leave well alone "if it ain't broke don't fix it"... Although post count doesn't mean everything it does give some credibility to a lot of what is posted on here IMO... It doesn't take long to work out who posts crap on here and who knows their stuff! Also join date helps I.E someone who has a high post count but only been a member for a short period obviously likes the sound of their own voice, so to speak and I tend to take them with a pinch of salt TBH.

The JCL tag seems to be quoted at newbies that come on here giving it Billy the potatoes and are the only one's that I have noticed to get put down very quickly!!

All I would like to see changed is, People posting that are new members should have there threads checked by mods before it can be displayed for their first 5 thread starting topics! Especially during non school hours, lol

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think so.

Although some people do take it too far, I do generally think there is a certain credability I can attach to someones post count. That is not purely the highest knows best, as sometimes the person with the highest just posts a lot of nonsence, or single word replies, or even just a smillie. Sometimes I'll sit up and take more notice if a guy has been on here for years, but only posted 200 times. When they have something to say, I do tend to think there is a bit of substance in it, as they don't post willy nilly.

With so many people signing up on here the last 6 months, I do think we need the info to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff when looking through threads.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
remove avatars and usernames too.....i could just be USER1, USER2...etc based on when one logs in.

totally deface it all.

//seriously tho, keep the post counts...........the biggies over 5,000 then are like gods and command respect ;-)

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I do think that a few posters wear their post count as a badge of superiority, I am on several forums that do not have post counts and they work well enough. But although I voted to take them off, it's not really a big issue as it's always been quality rather than quantity that interests most of us.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
seriously tho, keep the post counts...........the biggies over 5,000 then are like gods and command respect ;-)

That's part of the issue though. It also says that they should get out more :laugh:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sadly I have to agree with this. Post count and join date can be useful indicators to the validity of a post

Agreed.

My take on things is:

0 - 20 posts - likely to be bullshit if posting a rumour
20 - 500 posts - keep a close eye on whether posts are worth reading
500 - 2000 posts - time to form an opinion on
2000 - 8000 posts - unlikely to post complete rubbish
8000 - 15000 posts - likely to be in or forming some sort of clique
15000+ posts - LOSER

I think they are a good indicator of working out how to take a post. And not just by 'the more posts the better' as some seem to think.

What is more interesting though, is the average number of posts per day. That should be displayed as that is a better indicator.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Get rid - and replace it with the reputation system, so other NSCers can see who is good/bad based on other's feedback. Start a vicious rumour that turns out to be a total hoax, rate them down. If it turns out right, rate them up! Then we'll know who makes good and valid input to NSC.

vBulletin Manual - An Introduction to User Reputation

Reputation was turned on last night.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Interesting that the vast majority of comments are from people AGAINST the post counts - yet the poll suggests that almost twice as many people are voting FOR them. I guess they're too busy spamming the word association thread in order to artificially inflate their post count and therefore superiority over everyone else.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Keep them. It gives you some clue as to how to take a post. There is so much complete and utter bollox posted by some of the newbies that it's handy to know so you can ignore them.

Absolutely this. I quite like my post count.

I post a lot of bollocks too though!

We know this but there's always an exception to every rule !

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I do think that a few posters wear their post count as a badge of superiority, I am on several forums that do not have post counts and they work well enough. But although I voted to take them off, it's not really a big issue as it's always been quality rather than quantity that interests most of us.
It's funny, I've just looked at the other 5 forums I use (mixture of work and leisure) and they've all got post counts! I'm more opposed to the 'rep' system which is no better a guide than a high post count, all you get is little cliques bigging up their mates.

And I really don't know anybody who wears their post count as a badge of superiority. As Icy said in some ways a high post count is a mark of shame!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can we just get rid of the people who put any stock in them?

-People with tens of thousands of posts post nonsense.
-Long-time members create new accounts, so low post counts aren't necessarily indicative of a newbie.
-JCL's don't always post nonsense.
-Join dates aren't any indicator of anything either, I've seen people with start dates from years ago, who still only have a post count under 100
-Post count is completely unrelated to the content of the post, and the validity of what is being said.
-High post counts are used against posters, too (usually in the form of 'get a life' or similar intimations)

They mean nothing.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here