Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic tickets - why did it HAVE to be done online ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Does EVERYTHING have to be done online these days ?

For large sporting events, what did people do before the internet ? You know, prior to about 1993 ? People either called phonelines, or did a good old-fashioned session of QUEUING UP.

Never mind this ridiculous online ballot system, where people sit on their arse and with a few clicks, idly commit themselves to potentially thousands of pounds worth of tickets without even knowing what the FRIG they're going to end up with. Where's the sense in that ?

This should have gone OLD SCHOOL. A network of ticket booths set up around the nation, all selling tickets for a variety of Olympic events. Set a limit of no more than 6 tickets per person for any one event, and you want to go, you QUEUE for it. The keenest / most desperate will get there earliest and queue the longest. The size of your bank balance doesn't come into it - its boils down to how BADLY you want to go.

People are prepared to camp out all night to buy spare tickets for Wimbledon. They're prepared to camp out to buy the latest iPad, or iPhone, or Halo 6: The Maiming. So why not have people camping out for Olympic tickets ?

"Queuing" nowadays requires no effort. It involves being sat there alone in front of a monitor with your hand poised over your mouse waiting for a blue bar to pass along the screen, whilst having a crafty shandy at a Redtube window you flick over to now and then. There's no real EFFORT involved, which is why it gets so hopelessly oversubscribed by millions of people who are, in reality, fairly "meh" about whether they get those tickets or not.

In 2004, we had to physically queue, in the real world, for our Playoff Final tickets. Totally fair, all above board, the earlier you got there the more chance you had of getting the tickets you wanted. And there was some CAMARADERIE involved. Bringing people together for a common cause, all on the same mission, talking excitedly about the event they were so desperate to see they were prepared to sacrifice a few hours in their day to make suer they could get there.

Getting tickets online for the big sporting events is just too damn easy these days. People should have to EARN the right to those tickets by going out and GETTING them, not just by sitting on their arses clicking away on a website.

The internet has made us lazy and complacent. We've missed a trick here - the selling of tickets for the London Olympics could have been organised into a national event in itself, with official ticketing centres set up everywhere, entertainment, beer tents, whatever, just bringing people together in a vast, excited, happy queuing FRENZY. Instead, its gone out to the laptop generation who can succeed or fail depending on how much they can afford to gamble, at the click of a mouse.

BOOOOO !

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

For large sporting events, what did people do before the internet ? You know, prior to about 1993 ? People either called phonelines, or did a good old-fashioned session of QUEUING UP.

Never mind this ridiculous online ballot system, where people sit on their arse and with a few clicks, idly commit themselves to potentially thousands of pounds worth of tickets without even knowing what the FRIG they're going to end up with. Where's the sense in that ?

This should have gone OLD SCHOOL. A network of ticket booths set up around the nation, all selling tickets for a variety of Olympic events. Set a limit of no more than 6 tickets per person for any one event, and you want to go, you QUEUE for it. The keenest / most desperate will get there earliest and queue the longest. The size of your bank balance doesn't come into it - its boils down to how BADLY you want to go.

People are prepared to camp out all night to buy spare tickets for Wimbledon. They're prepared to camp out to buy the latest iPad, or iPhone, or Halo 6: The Maiming. So why not have people camping out for Olympic tickets ?

"Queuing" nowadays requires no effort. It involves being sat there alone in front of a monitor with your hand poised over your mouse waiting for a blue bar to pass along the screen, whilst having a crafty shandy at a Redtube window you flick over to now and then. There's no real EFFORT involved, which is why it gets so hopelessly oversubscribed by millions of people who are, in reality, fairly "meh" about whether they get those tickets or not.

In 2004, we had to physically queue, in the real world, for our Playoff Final tickets. Totally fair, all above board, the earlier you got there the more chance you had of getting the tickets you wanted. And there was some CAMARADERIE involved. Bringing people together for a common cause, all on the same mission, talking excitedly about the event they were so desperate to see they were prepared to sacrifice a few hours in their day to make suer they could get there.

Getting tickets online for the big sporting events is just too damn easy these days. People should have to EARN the right to those tickets by going out and GETTING them, not just by sitting on their arses clicking away on a website.

The internet has made us lazy and complacent. We've missed a trick here - the selling of tickets for the London Olympics could have been organised into a national event in itself, with official ticketing centres set up everywhere, entertainment, beer tents, whatever, just bringing people together in a vast, excited, happy queuing FRENZY. Instead, its gone out to the laptop generation who can succeed or fail depending on how much they can afford to gamble, at the click of a mouse.

BOOOOO !

Never really thought of it like that, but you are right. I don't think I'd have bothered if I'd have had to queue properly.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
"The internet has made us lazy and complacent"

oooh the irony

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

BOOOOO !

Get with the programme, Grandad.

This is why I love NSC, great debating point met with a typically short and wonderful comeback!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seem to remember queuing for about 7 hours in Queen's Road to get tickets for the 2004 play off final.

I didn't camp out with a small stove and a tartan rug, however.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"The internet has made us lazy and complacent"

oooh the irony

I'm as guilty as anyone else.

But it strikes me that we just rely on the internet for EVERYTHING nowadays. Absolutely everything.

Why couldn't we have taken a step back from online ticketing for this event, and encouraged people to go old-school queuing ? I doubt it was even considered, wouldn't even have crossed their minds. But it could have been a GREAT event in itself, spread over however long was necessary. It could even have turned into its own moneyspinner, with refreshments and entertainment being provided at the various ticketing outlets across the country, as the nation united to queue alongside one another to go to the Olympic Games.

And people who DESERVED the tickets, ie those who were the most keen to go, would have got them. And for they events they wanted, not something picked out in a random online lottery.

Would have been brilliant I reckons. Not now though. Internet rules the world.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The biggest con was having to use a Visa card, to be honest.

I do agree with the sentiments of the OP, though.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seem to remember queuing for about 7 hours in Queen's Road to get tickets for the 2004 play off final.

I didn't camp out with a small stove and a tartan rug, however.

Really?

Someone else got my tickets for me, but I'm sure he was nowhere near Queens Road.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And people who DESERVED the tickets, ie those who were the most keen to go, would have got them

Or just the ones who could get the time off work to queue.

Anyway, where would you be without the internet, Easy? Still having to brave the disapproving looks of your local corner shop cashier as you furtively pay for your copies of Mayfair and Latino Milf Weekly, that's where :p

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really?

Someone else got my tickets for me, but I'm sure he was nowhere near Queens Road.

I think they were selling them at Queens Road and at Withdean.

A couple of mates of mine queued down London Road for Withdean and got our Playoff FInal tickets (I think it was on FA Cup Final day). They got about 18 tickets between them (nearly all for us STH's). They did brilliantly for us, but there was not one amongst us who would not have gone and done a shift in that queue if we were needed. And they ENJOYED it - the camaraderie was apparently terrific.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It's far to cheaper to run and organise. Phone lines and ticketing offices require staff. A website just requires servers for hosting.

I sort of see where you're coming from but personally I CANNOT STAND queuing to spend my money. If I'm parting with my hard earned then I expect people to be queuing up to take my money, not the other way round.

I walk out of a shop if there's a queue and go elsewhere. I'd sooner wander around spending my time looking for a shop without a queue than actually spend the time queuing

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On the other hand its one giant leap for mankind never to have to ever set foot in a Travel Agents again, sit there while they enter all your details in at tedious length, scroll through twenty pages of teletext before offering you a choice of three hotels that match your requirements apart from on price, location and date.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The play off tickets were on sale at Withdean and at Queen's Road. I think the Withdean set up could only deal with cash payments: I'm pretty sure I spent all that time queuing because I didn't have the cash to pay for four tickets and wanted to stick it on a credit card.

The queues were long either way, but those at Queen's Road waited far longer in the end.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Or just the ones who could get the time off work to queue.

Anyway, where would you be without the internet, Easy? Still having to brave the disapproving looks of your local corner shop cashier as you furtively pay for your copies of Mayfair and Latino Milf Weekly, that's where :p

I'm not suggesting ALL the Olympic tickets go on sale at once. They could stagger it, do it in stages and announce the dates well in advance so people would have the opportunity of making their arrangements, booking holidays, swapping shifts, sending friends / relatives, whatever. If people are keen enough, they'll sort it. Just as we did before the interbob.

As for your other remark, I shall treat that with the CONTEMPT it deserves.

(I was more a 'Shaven Haven Leave em Cravin' man meself)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But it could have been a GREAT event in itself, spread over however long was necessary. It could even have turned into its own moneyspinner, with refreshments and entertainment being provided at the various ticketing outlets across the country, as the nation united to queue alongside one another to go to the Olympic Games.

Sounds GREAT. Would you need TICKETS for it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On the other hand its one giant leap for mankind never to have to ever set foot in a Travel Agents again, sit there while they enter all your details in at tedious length, scroll through twenty pages of teletext before offering you a choice of three hotels that match your requirements apart from on price, location and date.

Of course. I'm not suggesting we should scrap the internet completely. My god, what the hell would I do all day ? I'd have to bloody WORK.

I just think for a huge, one-off national even like the Olympics, they could have given the Windows 7 a swerve and really made the ticketing an event in itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here