Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jazz music

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Now I just know that there are going to be some serious jazz fans on here, so at the risk of sounding a total philistine, can you recommend something that I may find I can listen to without screaming??

It has to be an acquired taste as I have tried and tried but don't get beyond the 2nd or 3rd tracks before it sounds, to me anyway, that all the musicians are playing different songs on their respective instruments at the same time :shrug:

How many types of jazz are there? I can just about cope with trad jazz.

Am I a lost cause or can one of you jazz gurus recommend something a little more mellow without it being Easy Listening saxophone or lift music?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Miles Davis- Sketches of Spain. They are even selling it for a mere £5 in Resident Records at the moment.

You have not been charged for this information.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I've just acquired that - going to give it a listen this afternoon! Edit: Meant to be a comment about Miles Davis - but it didn't quote it!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have yet to hear a jazz track that doesn't sound like the musicians are just making it up as they go along.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The best introduction albums in my opinion would be
Miles Davis-Kind of Blue
John Coltrane-Blue Train
Herbie Hanock - Maiden Voyage

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just for you Easy, try Mrs Costello - everything very rehearsed

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall in 1938 - the night when Jazz gained acceptance.

If 'Sing, Sing, Sing' doesn't do it for you, nothing will.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Jazz ain't nuthin' but a blues quartet falling down stairs

Try this

Kind of Blue is imo the place to start. Fantastic album. If you can cope with that try some more miles, sketches of spain as already recommended or perhaps birth of the cool.

Check out Blue train by Coltrane, Take Five or Blue Rondo a la Turk by Dave Brubeck some Cannonball Alderly, Herbie Hancock and Ella Fitzgerald.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks, some of these I've treid already and can't get along with but plenty of other suggestions to have a go with. I will wait until this evening and plug some decent speakers into my pc to get reasonable sound quality :thumbsup:

Lord B - I'm afraid I'm struggling with your cousin's music...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
jazz2.jpg

Great.

Try any of:

Ella & Louis - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
Dinah Washington/Sarah Vaughan/Billie Holiday
Quintette du Hot Club de France
Diana Krall
Count Basie

I don't particularly get on with Coltrane or Miles Davis. Chet Baker Sings is sublime IMO, but divides opinion.

I agree also that "Sing, Sing, Sing" is a decent barometer that you're still alive.

Nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here