Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Talking of dour stayers (neigh!), I plodded around a 14 mile gentle route taking in a hill or two and coming out of it with an 8:33 average mile pace. I didn't look at my watch other than to keep track of the distance, I ran on feel. I'm doing the Run Up To Christmas event, going for 250km but I should comfortably exceed that. My 14 miles today is only enough for 34th in the leaderboard after 1 day! Competition is afoot.

I know some of those involved and they ran the Valencia marathon yesterday. They’ll not be doing that every day.

I didn’t know there was a leaderboard but I’m now even more glad I didn’t join as that is just the sort of thing that would have me running myself to broken again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great running all. I had a lovely return to Hove Park on Saturday with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], which saw me tick over my 1,000 miles for the year and followed it up with seven plodding miles yesterday morning. Goodwood marathon next Sunday, so I guess I'd better taper this week. Bring on the track laps :mad:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I know some of those involved and they ran the Valencia marathon yesterday. They’ll not be doing that every day.

I didn’t know there was a leaderboard but I’m now even more glad I didn’t join as that is just the sort of thing that would have me running myself to broken again.

Yeah, I assumed that there were some marathon runners in there. I imagine I'll be somewhere there or thereabouts come next sunday when the consistency of my efforts will pay off. 25.5km yesterday will be backed up with 12.8km today, and so on so forth. I don't think there are any prizes for leaderboard placings but it's an additional incentive for someone like me!

Great running all. I had a lovely return to Hove Park on Saturday with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], which saw me tick over my 1,000 miles for the year and followed it up with seven plodding miles yesterday morning. Goodwood marathon next Sunday, so I guess I'd better taper this week. Bring on the track laps :mad:

Congratulations Mr Bobkin! There's definitely been a significant upturn in running distances throughout the group this year.

I've had a look at the Strava group (https://www.strava.com/clubs/96909/leaderboard) and there are a few names there I don't know who they relate to, username wise, but it looks from a quick glance that the leading distance man is at 2,600 miles for the year! :bowdown: Amazing.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I ran the Nottingham Christmas Marathon on Saturday...it was so cold. 9 laps of Holme Peirpoint, it was damp, icy and freezing fog. My attempt was for a sub 4 hour marathon, didn't make that but did get a pb in 4-06-25. Really pleased with the pb but disappointed with not getting under 4 hours. I am getting close to the sub 4 and don't think it will be long before I crack it, have a few attempts lined up next spring, will be a case of hitting it hard in the new year. Don't plan on doing too much running in December, looking forward to catching up with mates and having a few beers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's gorgeous out there, today, if chilly - Accuweather said it was a RealFeel of -6 when I was out with the dog between 7 and 8.

I'm sitting here debating whether to do 10-12 miles on the road taking in a bit of the seafront, or a trails loop with the dog that will take in both Cissbury and Chanctonbury Rings - 9 miles or so at a guess.

I've been doing less trail running the last week or two, since cases of Alabama Rot have been found locally recently, and I'm trying to heed veterinary advice to try and avoid muddy puddly areas where possible. Most of my trail routes include wet stretches, but with it being so cold today, most stuff should be frozen up.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I ran the Nottingham Christmas Marathon on Saturday...it was so cold. 9 laps of Holme Peirpoint, it was damp, icy and freezing fog. My attempt was for a sub 4 hour marathon, didn't make that but did get a pb in 4-06-25. Really pleased with the pb but disappointed with not getting under 4 hours. I am getting close to the sub 4 and don't think it will be long before I crack it, have a few attempts lined up next spring, will be a case of hitting it hard in the new year. Don't plan on doing too much running in December, looking forward to catching up with mates and having a few beers.

Well done I’ll edit the table. Are you doing Brighton? Big NSC turnout in 2020.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Well done I’ll edit the table. Are you doing Brighton? Big NSC turnout in 2020.

Will be doing the Half again, but passing on the Marathon. Ran it earlier this year and 2 years ago - both times I struggled and out of the 6 marathons I have run these are the slowest 2. Also the 2 where i have been most injured afterwards. Not sure why that is the case, maybe I pushed too hard at the start.

So will give it a miss next year and reconsider doing it in 2021. Will be doing Barcelona and Milton Keynes again next year, looking for another one around April time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Some terrific running this weekend - and the next weekend, too, with the Goodwood event. Also some mightily impressive annual mileage being clocked up by many.

Dec 14 Arena Hove Parkrun moved to 21st. I think you and [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]’s Harmonica had it pencilled in.

I may pop over to Worthing on 14th if the wind is kind.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Dec 14 Arena Hove Parkrun moved to 21st. I think you and [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]’s Harmonica had it pencilled in.

I may pop over to Worthing on 14th if the wind is kind.

Thanks for the heads-up. Never a problem for me to default to Worthing. As for the 21st will need to check with her indoors. Any NSC runner - especially its Godfather - welcomed in Worthing. Until you beat the locals.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A running/BHAFC/parkrun query.
I think on New years day there's a double Hove Park Run . So that Hove Park starts at 9am and then there's a chance to the Proms park run at...
but i'm worrying about making the Chelsea KO at 12.30pm !!

is it doable ? Can i do both runs, get in the car, drive to Lewes , get the train back and make KO ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's gorgeous out there, today, if chilly - Accuweather said it was a RealFeel of -6 when I was out with the dog between 7 and 8.

I'm sitting here debating whether to do 10-12 miles on the road taking in a bit of the seafront, or a trails loop with the dog that will take in both Cissbury and Chanctonbury Rings - 9 miles or so at a guess.

I've been doing less trail running the last week or two, since cases of Alabama Rot have been found locally recently, and I'm trying to heed veterinary advice to try and avoid muddy puddly areas where possible. Most of my trail routes include wet stretches, but with it being so cold today, most stuff should be frozen up.

Didn’t make Cissbury Ring in the end due to poor route planning and not wanting to be double-backing on myself.

I covered just shy of 11 miles and 1,150 feet of climbing with Henry the lab, including the grind up to Chanctonbury Ring on what was an a absolutely stonking day to be out.

It’s the longest run we’ve done together.

42ec919becf122a3a87005e7a0df6f9e.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A running/BHAFC/parkrun query.
I think on New years day there's a double Hove Park Run . So that Hove Park starts at 9am and then there's a chance to the Proms park run at...
but i'm worrying about making the Chelsea KO at 12.30pm !!

is it doable ? Can i do both runs, get in the car, drive to Lewes , get the train back and make KO ?

Calling @Dr No

This year the Prom was first at 9 and I think Hove Park at 10:30 I was very very drunk.

Just do the first one but bear in mind it will be very congested.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Didn’t make Cissbury Ring in the end due to poor route planning and not wanting to be double-backing on myself.

I covered just shy of 11 miles and 1,150 feet of climbing with Henry the lab, including the grind up to Chanctonbury Ring on what was an a absolutely stonking day to be out.

It’s the longest run we’ve done together.

42ec919becf122a3a87005e7a0df6f9e.jpg

Henry is a lucky lab. Excellent duo. Wish I was that fit.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Calling @Dr No

This year the Prom was first at 9 and I think Hove Park at 10:30 I was very very drunk.

Just do the first one but bear in mind it will be very congested.

Calling [MENTION=36339]Dr Yes[/MENTION] - at least that’s what I’m planning on doing!

I can confirm it’s Prom at 9 and Hove Park at 10:30. Extra measures in place to cope with crowds experienced last year.
Getting back to Lewes and then to the game may be a stretch though - I’ll probably cycle as long as the weather behaves.

Peacehaven is also on at 10:30 - Prom/Peascehaven/Lewes/Amex sounds doable!

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I completely agree with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] there - Hove Prom at 9, get to Peacehaven for 10:30 and then nip along the C7. How else to start a year?

I intend to do Hove Promenade and Hove Park and then get home for the football. ORRRR, East Brighton at 9am to avoid the Hove Promenade masses. We'll see, it feels like a long time away still.

https://www.parkrun.org.uk/special-events/ - for interested parties, this is the definitive list.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks to my fixer [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] I've a Mince Pie place and a ticket for Bournemouth.

How many Mince Pie runners have we got? Anyone remind me of the profile? Is it just the one climb up on the pavement from the old Butlins in Saltdean? 5 years since I last did it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks to my fixer [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] I've a Mince Pie place and a ticket for Bournemouth.

How many Mince Pie runners have we got? Anyone remind me of the profile? Is it just the one climb up on the pavement from the old Butlins in Saltdean? 5 years since I last did it.

There are many ups and downs, the climb out of Saltdean is brutal because of the steepness of the hill. But the downs are no easier on the grass. It's a tough old event. I'll be in Wellingborough so no opportunity for me to be involved. Enjoy!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

It’s about 600 feet of climb versus 1100 feet for Downland Devil. You’ll be fine.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My missus has decided to start the Park Runs on Jan 1. She started the keto diet on Jan 1 this year after battling health problems for years, and has lost an incredible amount of weight - so next year is the year shes decided to also get herself fit! Shes amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here