Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ten miles today - a lovely run where I just went out with no distance, pace, time nor route in mind.

A gorgeously sunny day, although chilly, I was the only runner in shorts and a t-shirt, the rest were layered up and many with hats and gloves too. I don't own any tights so it's shorts all year round for me.

I still marvel that it's possible for me to just head out the door and run non-stop (other than waiting to cross roads!) for ten miles.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is a great corner of NSC and i've broken my NSC silence to say thanks. . I had some great advice and encouragement when i showed up pre- summer when i'd started running for the first time. Who knew how addictive it can get. So thanks to those that liked my post and replied with help.
And who knew that if you keep at it, you get quicker and you can go further. !
Now i'm booked into the Brighton Half Marathon, doing about 30-40K every week up and down the hills of my bit of mid Sussex, and Regents Park when i get a break at work lunchtimes. i've gone from about 65m or so for a very struggling 10K first time out,, to 53m last time i did a race and managed to shave off about 6 or 7 mins my Park Run PB in the last few months.
As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says - helps if you march around fields and commons with a dog from time to time as well. Also found Strava to be great way to keep competitive and set silly motivational targets (i think i might do a run every day during Advent for some reason) .
I do football coaching on Saturdays so that curtails Park Runs during the season but will be at Hove Park and the Prom over Xmas. Aiming for a 25min or so PR - have started to do a few 4.45min 1Ks during normal runs so i think its doable.

If you've run a 53 minute 10km, I'm sure you'll break 25 minutes for a 5km.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great see you there - I’m planning on pacing 25s if you fancy a jog and a chat.

I fancy a jog and a chat but will probably go off flat out and see what happens. You can sweep me up on the last lap.

Just had a week off and want to see if it acts as a negative or positive on a race day. I'll take the consequences at the Downland Devil.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i think i might do a run every day during Advent for some reason).

You could enter Run Thing's "Run Up To Christmas", get a medal for your efforts and help to raise money for Mind > https://runthings.co.uk/events/run-up-to-christmas-2019/

I've not entered it, because my issue is still overdoing it to the point of injury and I just know if I'd not be able to resist knocking out the full 250km in 25 days.

(Happy to team up with someone else to cover 250km between us though...)

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I've had these for a few years. Ran the Moyleman in them, also ran them in 12" of mud and 2' of snow. Never slipped once. Solid and light but comes up slightly narrow in the foot. Decathlon stock them but once you've got your size go here

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/salomon-sp...52jS408N1kDoSHw6n0mN9MVyS9tLtzbBoCiB4QAvD_BwE

Free returns with Wiggle and a £10 intro discount.

Thanks all for your advice. Gone with the Salomon in the end, can't beat £54 with the £10 sign up bonus. I've also splashed out today on a Garmin Forerunner 735XT which had been reduced to £150 on Amazon which is the cheapest I've seen it so treated myself for Christmas

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is a great corner of NSC and i've broken my NSC silence to say thanks. . I had some great advice and encouragement when i showed up pre- summer when i'd started running for the first time. Who knew how addictive it can get. So thanks to those that liked my post and replied with help.
Now i'm booked into the Brighton Half Marathon, doing about 30-40K every week up and down the hills of my bit of mid Sussex, and Regents Park when i get a break at work lunchtimes. i've gone from about 65m or so for a very struggling 10K first time out,, to 53m last time i did a race and managed to shave off about 6 or 7 mins my Park Run PB in the last few months.
As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says - helps if you march around fields and commons with a dog from time to time as well. Also found Strava to be great way to keep competitive and set silly motivational targets (i think i might do a run every day during Advent for some reason) .
I do football coaching on Saturdays so that curtails Park Runs during the season but will be at Hove Park and the Prom over Xmas. Aiming for a 25min or so PR - have started to do a few 4.45min 1Ks during normal runs so i think its doable.

NSC misses you, or at least I do. I know you got a lot of stick for toting the party line on other threads, which iis a real shame, but if you don't want to rejoin that battle then at least keep us updated on here on how you're gettting on with your running. The above is absolutely fantastic progress and is also exactly how I started.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Went for the jog and chat option with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] this morning. Slowly opened up over the last half mile to reach near 5:00 mile pace only to be taken on the line by a real runner.

Watch played up as ran on walk mode.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Great stuff [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] ! It's a game of patience but safely navigating consistency really delivers huge benefits. Getting out for a short run every day in December sounds great. I think RED January (Run Every Day January) is also popular where you can sign up to virtual RED January groups. Another Regents Park runner here :bigwave:. I'm out at lunchtimes with a group of runners from work most Tuesdays & Fridays (I work in Camden).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Amazing - I’m planning to do the New Year’s Day hove double

Have done Norwich. In a lovely Park. Nice caff to sit in at the end.

Yep, that's my plan as well - although I am tempted to swap in East Brighton first because it's a really nice course and their Facebook presence is amazing. Their core team are brilliant people, really welcoming and, well, I might do a win. :lolol:

I haven't ever managed Norwich due to getting absolutely hammered beyond humanity on the friday night (or one time, I had cycled there from Brighton and was a corpse on the saturday, before the 3-3 draw under Sami). My mate down there won't be running, so the cafe is crucial!

4th at Lancing today, the boys ahead of me were very controlled and measured. I was third after the first mile but I knew the fella behind me was going to swallow me up, which he easily did. I had a few jars last night which I think probably cost me some time, but I haven't properly trained recently. I'm going to put in some proper pace work in the next few weeks ahead of a PB attempt at Preston Park on Christmas Day.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got put into place today by [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] on a beautiful run out at Steyning and the Downland Devil. Beaten by 16" and 5" 10 respectively. Good runs by both of them but 9 hilly miles was too much for me at this stage of training.

Enjoyed the morning, enjoyed covering 3 people pushing my stuck camper with mud especially when I saw Simgull's face in the rear mirror and enjoyed pacing my run to my ability on the day.

Didn't enjoy being 8th in the over 60s.

Would like a Mince Pie entry next Sunday. I'll pay full price then I have to pay £5 transfer fee on the day. Can you help [MENTION=5947]seafordStrider[/MENTION] ?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Got put into place today by [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] on a beautiful run out at Steyning and the Downland Devil. Beaten by 16" and 5" 10 respectively. Good runs by both of them but 9 hilly miles was too much for me at this stage of training.

Enjoyed the morning, enjoyed covering 3 people pushing my stuck camper with mud especially when I saw Simgull's face in the rear mirror and enjoyed pacing my run to my ability on the day.

Would like a Mince Pie entry next Sunday. I'll pay full price then I have to pay £5 transfer fee on the day. Can you help [MENTION=5947]seafordStrider[/MENTION] ?

Was a lovely run this morning. Very wet still in places but the weather was near perfect and I managed 13th place after finishing 12th the year before and 13th the year before that. Consistency personified!

Nice bit of free merchandise too, with a DD9 cup and hat.

Now to get the trail shoes clean and dry for next weeks mince pie 10. Same conditions again please.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Yes - very enjoyable morning. one of my favourite events and I think the first time I have run it in anything less than terrible weather which probably contributed to running six mins quicker than last year.
Bring on the Mince Pie!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Meanwhile I split 18 and a bit miles almost exactly over two days. Yesterday was sets of 1/2/1 miles at 8:30 ish with easy in between. Today the same sort of distance but all easy but with a few undulations chucked in. After a dinner party last night that involved (at least) a bottle of red, a couple of whiskys and some rather nice duck in cherry sauce, I decided to tackle Boundary and Hangleton Road, northwards, first up. 102ft of climbing in to a north wind at 7am. Marginally prefer the "coffee, cigarette, bacon sandwich and another beer" hangover cure but by the time I hit the down slope of The Drive I was a new man :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great running fellas [emoji122][emoji122][emoji106]

Tentatively stepping off the crocks bench at the mo.........had a few tweaks and twinges as I tested the calf this week, but managed 80 mins of trouble-free plodding this morning, so may be back in the game........

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Yes - very enjoyable morning. one of my favourite events and I think the first time I have run it in anything less than terrible weather which probably contributed to running six mins quicker than last year.
Bring on the Mince Pie!

Yes, that's about the 4th time I've done it and was the best conditions I've known. This was borne out by the fact that I always run it with my sister (not many finish behind us but she's a dour stayer!!) and we ran it 12 minutes faster than last year.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Talking of dour stayers (neigh!), I plodded around a 14 mile gentle route taking in a hill or two and coming out of it with an 8:33 average mile pace. I didn't look at my watch other than to keep track of the distance, I ran on feel. I'm doing the Run Up To Christmas event, going for 250km but I should comfortably exceed that. My 14 miles today is only enough for 34th in the leaderboard after 1 day! Competition is afoot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1201327740546355200[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here