Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Now, I'm not having a pop. But there have been weeks that no women have shown up to that parkrun and there have been 6 (SIX) occasions where there was just 1 parkrunner, and 2 volunteers! :lolol: 45:50 has been a winning time, as has 45:40. :lolol:

:lolol::lolol: As I say it's about winning, eating beautiful cakes and running through a beautiful National Park.

Met an English man and Scottish wife. They were the only 2 on that day. She walked home in second place. Both mid 60's.

A 16 year old from England ran 16 something apparently in the summer.

Joking aside for me it was still a full out effort and great to run at the front for the first time in 10 years. If I'd been there a week before or the week after would have only got Bronze. It's all about timing....a sub 20 runner turns up every 2-3 weeks.

The Salento Parkrun Facebook page has some pictures that show it maybe the best fun Parkrun with the best and most pasticceria .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I did spot the 16 minute time, pretty handy to say the least! I've checked my two "performances" in Bournemouth (27th and 87 respectively having missed the start both times!) and he wasn't present at either. Not that he needed to be, I was getting slaughtered by the elderly this year, carrying a food baby from America and struggling to move myself.

Bournemouth 2020 is going to be huge for me, time to get a proper time on the course!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Out for some tempo intervals this morning.

I knew I was close to 1000 miles for the year but am also sticking with a coached programme for at least the next year while I do Brighton Marathon, Serpent Trail and Beachy Head 2020. I therefore followed the planned run exactly and have ended up on the deeply unsatisfactory annual total of 999. :lolol:

My 1000th mile this year will therefore be a jogged warm up in and out of traffic at some point over the weekend (unless I turn the Garmin off).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I know this is preaching to the converted and pushing at an open door BUT, this study is very good news.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...nning-reduces-risk-of-early-death-study-finds

We were talking about this at work yesterday, and the usual suspects popped up with the usual, "it's bad for your knees!". There's no proof that's the case and I threatened to invite both yourself and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] to pop in and give a talk about still being fit and firing as more mature gentlemen! I used to play football and not be able to walk for a week due to tendonitis in my knees, but now I'm popping around parkruns in sub 20 times and then heading out for a long run on a sunday every week without fail. Argue with that - layabout slobs!

I knew I was close to 1000 miles for the year but am also sticking with a coached programme for at least the next year while I do Brighton Marathon, Serpent Trail and Beachy Head 2020. I therefore followed the planned run exactly and have ended up on the deeply unsatisfactory annual total of 999. :lolol:

My 1000th mile this year will therefore be a jogged warm up in and out of traffic at some point over the weekend (unless I turn the Garmin off).

Congrats on the 999 - the number is irrelevant really but it means you've had a consistent year of good miling. Have you reached 1k before?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We were talking about this at work yesterday, and the usual suspects popped up with the usual, "it's bad for your knees!". There's no proof that's the case and I threatened to invite both yourself and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] to pop in and give a talk about still being fit and firing as more mature gentlemen! I used to play football and not be able to walk for a week due to tendonitis in my knees, but now I'm popping around parkruns in sub 20 times and then heading out for a long run on a sunday every week without fail. Argue with that - layabout slobs!

Congrats on the 999 - the number is irrelevant really but it means you've had a consistent year of good miling. Have you reached 1k before?

Cheers. No, not got near 1000 before. Was well on target in 2016 until I got tendonitis in Spetember and didn't run again for the whole year. Injury issues continued in 2017 and 2018. This is the fittest I've been since - actually feeling in tip top condition right now.

*touches wood and crosses fingers*

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Cheers. No, not got near 1000 before. Was well on target in 2016 until I got tendonitis in Spetember and didn't run again for the whole year. Injury issues continued in 2017 and 2018. This is the fittest I've been since - actually feeling in tip top condition right now.

*touches wood and crosses fingers*

Similar to me in that it had not quite happened before - I think I was closest in 2017 but last year I was nowhere. I'll probably get to 1,600 miles this year (also touching wood and crossing fingers!) which I think is probably about right. 2,000 miles in a calendar year is probably the most I'd want to do, in theory, because more than that feels both unnecessary and excessive. I follow a young lady on Strava who has helped herself to almost 2,500 miles so far and it's the same story pretty much every week when she does a race, "I couldn't get going", "legs felt heavy" etc... well, what do you expect?! If you run 70 miles a week, every week, regardless of any races you are targeting, you're not going to deliver yourself in the best condition.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Similar to me in that it had not quite happened before - I think I was closest in 2017 but last year I was nowhere. I'll probably get to 1,600 miles this year (also touching wood and crossing fingers!) which I think is probably about right. 2,000 miles in a calendar year is probably the most I'd want to do, in theory, because more than that feels both unnecessary and excessive. I follow a young lady on Strava who has helped herself to almost 2,500 miles so far and it's the same story pretty much every week when she does a race, "I couldn't get going", "legs felt heavy" etc... well, what do you expect?! If you run 70 miles a week, every week, regardless of any races you are targeting, you're not going to deliver yourself in the best condition.

Wise words. You can definitely over train.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I just had a check of my distance this year and I'm at 1606km / 997 miles! Looks like I'll be crossing the 1000 mile mark this week too. I wonder which one of us will do the most this year. The race is on.

I'm not going to get anywhere near the 2471km (1535 miles) I managed last year. Then again, January was the only month I was training properly for a marathon and I've had an injury which wiped out most of October. Boston training starts in mid December, so I'll be getting a lot of miles on the board in the first 4 months of next year.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I just had a check of my distance this year and I'm at 1606km / 997 miles! Looks like I'll be crossing the 1000 mile mark this week too. I wonder which one of us will do the most this year. The race is on.

I'm not going to get anywhere near the 2471km (1535 miles) I managed last year. Then again, January was the only month I was training properly for a marathon and I've had an injury which wiped out most of October. Boston training starts in mid December, so I'll be getting a lot of miles on the board in the first 4 months of next year.

Ohhhh Ohhhhh, waves hands, jumps up and down, ohhhhh ohhhh I am on 1,128 miles. I think this should drive the league tables! That would turn it on its head for me. The SNAIL is finally coming home! Now waiting for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] to beat me by a mile at 23.59.59 on 31.12.2019

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Brighton Marathon training starting for me in Decemeber so we'll certainly be very close!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I passed through 1,400 miles today - I've got one eye on Brighton marathon already but I have a few shorter term goals as well. I'm kicking around the idea of getting involved in the Cross Country racing going on. I think it would have huge benefits but there are downsides to it. I'm not a particularly big fan of running in the mud, for a start.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Why don'y you head out between now and then and blast out a mile? Then you can say that your 1,000th mile of the year was also your fastest :lol:

I'm into the 900s so I know I'm going to get to 1,000, but it's more about quality at the moment. Attempted some more intervals this morning, which went alright, but I'm gagging for a bit of trail action. The trouble is, because I'm out in the dark, I tend to steer clear of the downs – even with a headtorch.

I passed through 1,400 miles today - I've got one eye on Brighton marathon already but I have a few shorter term goals as well. I'm kicking around the idea of getting involved in the Cross Country racing going on. I think it would have huge benefits but there are downsides to it. I'm not a particularly big fan of running in the mud, for a start.

If you're not a fan of running in mud, I'd steer clear of other STE races – especially Dark Star :ohmy:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If you're not a fan of running in mud, I'd steer clear of other STE races – especially Dark Star :ohmy:

I have done so far - I do think I'll end up doing the STE set one year at least for the full set of medals. For now though, I don't think it's the best idea. I understand why my mate wants me to get involved in the Cross Country races, they're cheap for starters which is a bonus! And he thinks that it would be a big benefit to running strength and stamina. The races are a saturday though, which is in direct conflict with my parkrun enjoyment... They do appear to start at 2 in the afternoon though - that's a huge positive!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Is anyone running the Poppy HM in Bexhill on Saturday? I am running as the 2.20 pace runner, I have paced a few times at Park Run but never in a proper race. Looking forward to it and hope I don't let anybody down. My last few HMs have been around 1.55/1.57 so 2.20 should be comfortable. Any tips from anyone who has paced in a race before. I can usually run at a pretty consistent pace so hopefully if I can get into the run from the off should be fine. Would it be stupid of me to do a slow paced Hastings PR in the morning (the HM starts at 12.30)?

I am also going on a LIRF course with England Athletics in hopefully February (in Eastbourne as they run the course on a Sunday) so that I can become a run leader with my running club. Happy days.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Is anyone running the Poppy HM in Bexhill on Saturday? I am running as the 2.20 pace runner, I have paced a few times at Park Run but never in a proper race. Looking forward to it and hope I don't let anybody down. My last few HMs have been around 1.55/1.57 so 2.20 should be comfortable. Any tips from anyone who has paced in a race before. I can usually run at a pretty consistent pace so hopefully if I can get into the run from the off should be fine. Would it be stupid of me to do a slow paced Hastings PR in the morning (the HM starts at 12.30)?

I am also going on a LIRF course with England Athletics in hopefully February (in Eastbourne as they run the course on a Sunday) so that I can become a run leader with my running club. Happy days.

I've had a look at the course, it should be very comfortable to pace the 2:20 consistently, my concern with pacing is always about the course - you don't want to get caught out by an unexpected hill! I don't think it'll be a problem for you on saturday with the promenade course they run. I wouldn't do the parkrun first though, personally - I would be worried about hitting the wall in the event itself. I wouldn't think twice about not doing the parkrun / Half Marathon double if I wasn't worried about my performance, but when you're pacing you've got that bit of responsibility and I'd be reluctant to take the risk.

What does the LIRF course entail? I'm sure you're already something of a leader through the example you set!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think that [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] is right about not doing Hasting's Parkrun prior to pacing a half BUT having seen [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] run past me at mile 20 at BM this year his 2:20 pacing would be a doddle so doable.

My only issue would be making sure the muscles don't get cold in the three hour gap between runs. Plenty of thermals needed.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ohhhh Ohhhhh, waves hands, jumps up and down, ohhhhh ohhhh I am on 1,128 miles. I think this should drive the league tables! That would turn it on its head for me. The SNAIL is finally coming home! Now waiting for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] to beat me by a mile at 23.59.59 on 31.12.2019

No chance. A miserly 597 miles for me. Second highest yearly total and only a hundred away from a world record. #LazyRunner

Table updates would be constant on the mileage column, so too much input needed. We could do a mileage figure from 2019 on 1/120/20, if wished?

I was doing 5 to 6 mile Lancing Manor Cross Country this Saturday 2:30 but Sussex County League switched it today to Stanmer Park due to conditions. Looking forward to running where I came 35th as an 11 year old running in The County U-15 race in 1971. £5 entry but affiliated runners only I believe. I'll be happy if I don't finish last!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Outstanding. Your running is going from strength to strength.

Don't think I'd do PR a few hours before either. Just enjoy your pacing debut and arrive fresh.

Next year for me will be about three big races, BM (trying to go sub 4). Serpent Trail (trying to finish and perform, the guys I'm going with are animals and will not be holding back) and another crack at Beachy Head because I loved it. Assuming I do all three I think I will then dedicate the following year to a lot more volunteering - probably marshalling at BM and a few park runs and pacing at a small half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here